Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: The Cut command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers The Cut command Post 302082018 by Poison Ivy on Sunday 30th of July 2006 08:34:33 AM
Old 07-30-2006
awk '{print $2}' works perfect!! thanks! Smilie

I used *.* cos I wanted only files and not subdirectories otherwise I'd get a
Code:
wc: blabla: Is a directory

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CUT Command

Hi, Can anyone tell me if I can apply multiple cut on a single variable like below in a sh script: tmp=`cut -c 1-4 $val` tmp1=`cut -c 5-12 $val` tmp2=`cut -c 13-18 $val` If not, what is the other way to do this. Thanks and Best Regards Shoeb (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoeb_syed
17 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut Command help

Hi , I am new to Unix.I have a shell script whenere I wnat to find if a particular server is running and kill all the instances of it (running on different ports) script filename to start the srever is say abcd If i do ps -eaf | grep abc I get all the instances of srever running .In the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shradham
1 Replies

3. AIX

Use of Cut Command

Hi All, Can anyone tell me how to use cut command?I have tried but its not working...Please find the details below : $ cat file1 SlNo. E_ID E_Name Age Dept 1 123 A 20 Electrical 2 124 B 20 Electronics 3 125 C 24 Computer 4 126 D 23 Mechanical ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Puja Sharma
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut command help

n2=user1 pts/3 2010-06-29 01 Now i want to split this string with space(' ') character. After splitting output would be: use1 pts/3 2010-06-29 01 I did: nn=${n2} | cut -d ' ' -f2 echo ${nn} It prints nothing. I want the output: pts/3 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Command error cut: Bad range

Hi Can anyone what I am doing wrong while using cut command. for f in *.log do logfilename=$f Log "Log file Name: $logfilename" logfile1=`basename $logfilename .log` flength=${#logfile1} Log "file length $flength" from_length=$(($flength - 15)) Log "from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut pid from ps using cut command

hay i am trying to get JUST the PID from the ps command. my command line is: ps -ef | grep "mintty" | cut -d' ' -f2 but i get an empty line. i assume that the delimiter is not just one space character, but can't figure out what should i do in order to do that. i know i can use awk or cut... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ran ber
8 Replies

7. AIX

Need help on cut command

HI, i have data in one variable like out=/usr/sbin/filename and i want output like only out=filename how to do (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumanthupar
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut command

Hi All, I am a beginner learning shell script, Would it be possible to use -c and -f in cut command together ? Example : /opt/oracle/work/Antony/Shell_Script> cat shortlist 2233|a.k. shukula |g.m. |sales2 |12/12/52 |6000 1006|chanchal singhvi ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Antony Ankrose
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cut command: can't make it cut fields

I'm a complete beginner in UNIX (and not a computer science student either), just undergoing a tutoring course. Trying to replicate the instructions on my own I directed output of the ls listing command (lists all files of my home directory ) to My_dir.tsv file (see the screenshot) to make use of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
9 Replies
SYSTEMD-CAT(1)							    systemd-cat 						    SYSTEMD-CAT(1)

NAME
systemd-cat - Connect a pipeline or program's output with the journal SYNOPSIS
systemd-cat [OPTIONS...] [COMMAND] [ARGUMENTS...] systemd-cat [OPTIONS...] DESCRIPTION
systemd-cat may be used to connect the standard input and output of a process to the journal, or as a filter tool in a shell pipeline to pass the output the previous pipeline element generates to the journal. If no parameter is passed, systemd-cat will write everything it reads from standard input (stdin) to the journal. If parameters are passed, they are executed as command line with standard output (stdout) and standard error output (stderr) connected to the journal, so that all it writes is stored in the journal. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: -h, --help Print a short help text and exit. --version Print a short version string and exit. -t, --identifier= Specify a short string that is used to identify the logging tool. If not specified, no identification string is written to the journal. -p, --priority= Specify the default priority level for the logged messages. Pass one of "emerg", "alert", "crit", "err", "warning", "notice", "info", "debug", or a value between 0 and 7 (corresponding to the same named levels). These priority values are the same as defined by syslog(3). Defaults to "info". Note that this simply controls the default, individual lines may be logged with different levels if they are prefixed accordingly. For details, see --level-prefix= below. --level-prefix= Controls whether lines read are parsed for syslog priority level prefixes. If enabled (the default), a line prefixed with a priority prefix such as "<5>" is logged at priority 5 ("notice"), and similar for the other priority levels. Takes a boolean argument. EXIT STATUS
On success, 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise. EXAMPLES
Example 1. Invoke a program This calls /bin/ls with standard output and error connected to the journal: # systemd-cat ls Example 2. Usage in a shell pipeline This builds a shell pipeline also invoking /bin/ls and writes the output it generates to the journal: # ls | systemd-cat Even though the two examples have very similar effects the first is preferable since only one process is running at a time, and both stdout and stderr are captured while in the second example, only stdout is captured. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemctl(1), logger(1) systemd 237 SYSTEMD-CAT(1)