Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How can I make the for command check to see if a file is empty before executing? Post 302081937 by nathan on Saturday 29th of July 2006 02:31:24 AM
Old 07-29-2006
Use the 'test' command to check if the file has size.

For example, this will print each word in the file on a separate line.

Code:
if test -s uploads ; then for f in $(<uploads); do echo $f; done; fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check for Empty Command Argument

I have a script that when called can have 1 or 2 command arguments. If only 1 command argument is passed into the script how can I check that the second argument is null? I am working in Korn shell in a UNIX environment. Example of script call with 2 arguments: % statreport 0300 1430 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nysif Steve
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to check for empty file in Perl?

Hi, May I know how to check for empty file in Perl. Iam missing something, somewhere. #!/usr/bin/perl my $open_dir = '/path/'; my $file; my $ma = "abc_.*.\.psv\$" opendir(VAR, $open_dir) or die "Can't open $oepn_dir: $!\n"; while( defined ($file = readdir VAR) ) #read all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deepakwins
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to check if a file is empty?

Hi Masters..... I have problem !!! I need to check number of records in a file and if it is zero or file is empty i need to do some task. if ; then echo "File s empty" else echo "Not empty" fi so how to check this condition. I used wc -l < filename.txt => 1 for zero records same result... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shreekrishnagd
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to check if file is empty or not and return a non zero value

Hi All, I am new to unix worldd . I need to check a file1 if its empty or not. If its empty then return a non zero value say 99 could you pls let me know the perl script for this. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavesum
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if file is empty

How do I check if a file is empty in a sh script I want to test in my shell script if the output file is empty and if it is do one thing and if it isnt empty do another? any ideas? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: stolz
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if a text file is empty or not (using ls -s)

Hello, I want to make a script which says if a text file is empty or not. I tried two ways of making it, but I have problems with both of them. Now I think that the better way is the ls -s solution (considering that an empty text file has a 0 weight, because "cat file.txt" fails when file is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Link_
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

error while executing make file

hi i am facing a strange error... whenever i try to execute make file it gives the following error bash-3.00$ make usa0300uz1128 sh: syntax error at line 1: `end of file' unexpected mksh: Fatal error: The command `if ; then echo "${COMMON}/src/rules/rules_11.2.0.3.2012Q3"; elif... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check if file is empty with variables, bash

Hello again! I have some trouble with scripting in bash. In the following script I read from a folder with the files line0_Ux.xy line1_Ux.xy line2_Ux.xy . . . Some of the files are empty. For those I would like to print a "0" in list. I think the problem with the code is that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjoern456
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Empty file check

Hi gurus , I have two files and i want to perform different action based on the condition if both or either is empty If then Do something elif then do something elif then do something else do something fi I have tried the below bt its not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_t_1601
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check whether the file is empty or not in shell script (sh)

Hi All, I need to check a file whether it exists and also whether it is empty or not. I have a code for this but it is not working as per my requirement. Can anyone pls suggest me on this. function funcFLSanityCheck { if then echo "${varFLSentFileListPath}/${varFLSentFileName}... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun1992
7 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. Please notice this option isn't related to the terminal length as in a "80 culums terminal". --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do right to left (RTL) layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter and A4. Default is A4. Postscript points Each postscript point equals to 1/72 of an inch. 36 points are 1/2 of an inch. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --gutter-width=gw Set gutter width. Default is 40 postscript points. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)