Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: % CPU utilization
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers % CPU utilization Post 302081875 by sssow on Friday 28th of July 2006 12:00:20 PM
Old 07-28-2006
try sar and look for %sys, %user, %iowait and %idle

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CPU Utilization

What command do you use to verify if the CPU utilization. Example. If the CPU is at 98%? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kimosilk
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

CPU Utilization

On user complains about the performance of web application, as a part application support, we use following commands to see the CPU utilization in the UNIX using ‘sar' command. Some times it goes below 20 and even reaches 0. HLW$~> sar -u 10 60 SunOS HLW 5.8 Generic_117350-14 sun4u ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thinakarmani
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

CPU Utilization

Dear friends, I am doing a report daily for all most 30 more serves... i need to check out CPU utlization bu (top command, 100 - (ideal value)) and Memory utilization too could some one help me how can i get it directly, if scripts also no problem.. i will very thankful if some one... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bullz26
3 Replies

4. Solaris

CPU Utilization/Saturation

Hi! I have following problem: How can I calculate 100 % CPU utilisation if I have 8 chip (SPARCV6 dual core)? Which load is 100 % CPU utilisation? Hope someone can help! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Helmut
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

CPU Utilization

Hi to All, Would you please help me. I would like to know, In Unix How to know CPU utilization for every process. Thanks in Advance. Thanks, Divyang (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: div_Neev
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get persistant cpu utilization values per process per cpu in linux (! top,ps)

hi, i want to know cpu utilizatiion per process per cpu..for single processor also if multicore in linux ..to use these values in shell script to kill processes exceeding cpu utilization.ps (pcpu) command does not give exact values..top does not give persistant values..psstat,vmstat..does njot... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajd
3 Replies

7. AIX

CPU Utilization

Hi All, Can some one help me in finding % CPU Utilization ? From VMSTAT command, How we can find % utilization ? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VBudatha
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

CPU Utilization

I know how to check the CPU utilization and memory space like: vmstat top free What i want ot check on my linux system is... how much CPU are available on my system and do i need to put extra CPU. Also need to check the hardware configuration and the space related to the same ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: j_panky
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

CPU utilization

Hi, any commande on AIX 6.1 that shows me total CPU utilization ? I saw curt in documentation but there should be a trace file before. Thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

CPU Utilization and Memory Utilization of Services and Applications

Hi, i am new to linux/RHEL 6.0 and i have two questions. 1) How to get the CPU utilization and Memory Utilization of all Services running currently? 2) How to get the CPU utilization and Memory Utilization of all Applications running currently? Please help me to find the script. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nossam
2 Replies
sar(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    sar(1)

NAME
sar -- system activity reporter SYNOPSIS
sar [-dgpu] [-n mode] [-o filename] t [n] sar [-dgpu] [-n mode] [-e time] [-f filename] [-i seconds] [-s time] DESCRIPTION
The sar command is used to sample and report various cumulative statistic counters maintained by the operating system. It can be invoked in two different ways. In the first usage instance, n samples are reported at t second intervals. If n is not specified, only one sample will be captured. When the -o option is specified, sar will write the binary sampling data to the output file specified by filename. In the second usage instance, there is no on-going sample interval to specify. This is because the sampling input comes from a previously recorded, binary activity file. The binary activity file can be specified using the -f filename option. When the -f option isn't used, sar attempts to open a default binary activity file, /var/log/sa/sadd, where dd represents the current day of the month. The starting and ending time of the report can be restricted using the -e and -s options. Here, the time field is specified in the form hh[:mm[:ss]]. Finally, the -i option can be used to select the sampling interval. Only records at least seconds apart will be reported. When the -i option is not used, all of the previously recorded interval samples are reported. Due to the nature of on-going sample collection, the data is reported in a verbose mode when more than one sampling option is specified. Column headers are printed at the beginning of the report; averages are printed when the sar command terminates. OPTIONS
The following options restrict the sample set that sar reports. -d Report disk activity. device The BSD name of the device. r+w/s The number of reads and writes per second. blks/s Number of blocks (in device's default blocksize) transferred to a device per second. -g Report page-out activity. pgout/s The number of pages paged out per second. -p Report page-in and page fault activity pgin/s The number of pages paged in per second. pflts/s The number of faults that caused a page to be copied in per second. vflts/s The number of times vm_fault routine has been called. -n mode Report network activity with modes DEV, EDEV, or PPP. Multiple network modes can be specified. DEV The DEV mode reports network device statistics. The following information is displayed for each interface. IFACE The network interface name. Ipkts/s The number of packets received per second. Ibytes/s The number of bytes received per second. Opkts/s The number of packets sent per second. Obytes/s The number of bytes sent per second. EDEV The EDEV mode reports network device error statistics. The following information is displayed for each interface. IFACE The interface name. Ierrs/s The input errors per second. Oerrs/s The output errors per second. Coll/s The collisions that occurred per second. Drops/s The number of dropped packets per second. PPP The PPP mode must be specified in order to display ppp connections in the network statistics. This will also turn on the PPP modify mode in sadc (8) when sampling data is not being read from a file. By default, both the collection and report- ing of ppp statistics is turned off. See sadc (8). -u Report CPU activity (default) %usr, %sys, and %idle These report the percentage of time running in user mode, system mode and idle. FILES
/var/log/sa/sadd Default daily activity file that holds the binary sampling data. dd are digits that represent the day of the month. SEE ALSO
fs_usage(1), netstat(1), sc_usage(1), top(1), vm_stat(1), iostat(8), sa1(8), sa2(8), sadc(8) Mac OS X Jul 25, 2003 Mac OS X