Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Write to a file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Write to a file Post 302081655 by esh.mohan on Thursday 27th of July 2006 12:42:25 AM
Old 07-27-2006
Hammer & Screwdriver Write to a file

Hi,

Am a silent member Smilie in this forum...a newbie

When i write a text in a file, a new line gets appended to it..Pls help as i need only the data and not the new line after it.

I did this...

cat > test.txt
testdata

After testdata, i find a newline which should not be the case...I tried to translate the newline to nothing which does not happen...

Thanks in advance for ur help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

file permission/acl: 2 users with write access on 1 file...

Hello, i need some help/advice on how to solve a particular problem. these are the users: |name | group | ---------- --------------- |boss | department1 | |assistant | department1 | |employee | department1 | |spy | department2 | this is the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: elzalem
0 Replies

2. IP Networking

read/write,write/write lock with smbclient fails

Hi, We have smb client running on two of the linux boxes and smb server on another linux system. During a backup operation which uses smb, read of a file was allowed while write to the same file was going on.Also simultaneous writes to the same file were allowed.Following are the settings in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swatidas11
1 Replies

3. Programming

Some how the open(file,flag, acc) returns 0 and write to the screen, instead of the file ???

I am out of idea what to do to resolve the problem! I need to use the open(file, for.., access) function to write a file. Never have the situation like that: it is return 0 - zero. As a result all write(..) going to the screen! What the problem it could be? I do not even know... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract data from an XML file & write into a CSV file

Hi All, I am having an XML tag like: <detail sim_ser_no_1="898407109001000090" imsi_1="452070001000090"> <security>ADM1=????</security> <security>PIN1=????</security> <security>PIN2=????</security> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss_ss
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

search 3 file and write to 4th file (a bit complex)

hi buddies; rollbackip.txt:10.14.3.65 2 10.14.3.65 3 ... lookup.txt: ... 10.14.3.65 2 10.14.5.55 1 55 10.14.6.66 1 66 10.14.3.65 3 10.14.7.77 3 77 10.14.8.88 2 88 10.14.9.99 4 99 ... ip-port.txt ... port111 3 10.14.5.55 57 port111 2 10.14.5.55 51 port111 1 10.14.5.55 59 ->... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gc_sw
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match list of strings in File A and compare with File B, C and write to a output file in CSV format

Hi Friends, I'm a great fan of this forum... it has helped me tone my skills in shell scripting. I have a challenge here, which I'm sure you guys would help me in achieving... File A has a list of job ids and I need to compare this with the File B (*.log) and File C (extend *.log) and copy... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asnandhakumar
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to search a particular String form a file a write to another file using perl script

I have file which contains a huge amount of data. I need to search the pattern Message id. When that pattern is matched I need to get abcdeff0-1g6g-91g3-1z2z-2mm605m90000 to another file. Kindly provide your input. File is like below Jan 11 04:05:10 linux100 |NOTICE... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raysf
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 text file with 1 column in each file and write mismatch data to 3rd file

Hi, I need to compare 2 text files with around 60000 rows and 1 column. I need to compare these and write the mismatch data to 3rd file. File1 - file2 = file3 wc -l file1.txt 58112 wc -l file2.txt 55260 head -5 file1.txt 101214200123 101214700300 101250030067 101214100500... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Divya Nochiyil
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to write a shell script to convert text file to excel file.

Hi Everyone, I want your help to write a script which will take text file as input and on the basis of delimiter ":"script will create excel sheet. Example input: IpAdress:InstanceName:Port:ServerName 10.255.255.1:abc:2232:xyz_abc Output should be an excel sheet like below: Column... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: akabhinav18
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ksh: How to write the log file simultaneously when .sql file executes by UNIX process

Hello Team- we would like to implement an approach which has to write the log file simultaneously when .sql file is executing by Unix process. At present,it is writing the log file once the process is completed. I've tested the current process with the below approaches and none of them... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hima_B
1 Replies
SPHDISTANCE(1gmt)					       Generic Mapping Tools						 SPHDISTANCE(1gmt)

NAME
sphdistance - Calculate nearest distances from Voronoi construction of spherical data SYNOPSIS
sphdistance infiles -Ggrdfile [ -C ] [ -D ] [ -E ] [ -F ] [ -H[i][nrec] ] [ -Ixinc[unit][=|+][/yinc[unit][=|+]] ] [ -Lunit ] [ -Qvoronoi.d ] [ -Rwest/east/south/north[r] ] [ -V ] [ -:[i|o] ] [ -b[i|o][s|S|d|D[ncol]|c[var1/...]] ] [ -m[i|o][flag] ] DESCRIPTION
sphdistance reads one or more ASCII [or binary] files (or standard input) containing lon, lat and performs the construction of Voronoi polygons. These polygons are then processed to calculate the nearest distance to each node of the lattice and written to the specified grid. The Voronoi algorithm used is STRIPACK. As an option, you may provide pre-calculated Voronoi polygon file in the format written by sphtriangulate, thus bypassing the memory- and time-consuming triangularization. infiles Data files with the point coordinates in ASCII (or binary; see -b). If no files are given the standard input is read. -G Name of the output grid to hold the computed distances. OPTIONS
-C For large data set you can save some memory (at the expense of more processing) by only storing one form of location coordinates (geographic or Cartesian 3-D vectors) at any given time, translating from one form to the other when necessary [Default keeps both arrays in memory]. Not applicable with -Q. -D Used with -m to skip the last (repeated) input vertex at the end of a closed segment if it equals the first point in the segment. Requires -m [Default uses all points]. -E Instead of computing distances, return the ID numbers of the Voronoi polygons that each grid node is inside [Default computes dis- tances]. -F Force pixel node registration [Default is gridline registration]. (Node registrations are defined in GMT Cookbook Appendix B on grid file formats.) -H Input file(s) has header record(s). If used, the default number of header records is N_HEADER_RECS. Use -Hi if only input data should have header records [Default will write out header records if the input data have them]. Blank lines and lines starting with # are always skipped. -I x_inc [and optionally y_inc] is the grid spacing. Optionally, append a suffix modifier. Geographical (degrees) coordinates: Append m to indicate arc minutes or c to indicate arc seconds. If one of the units e, k, i, or n is appended instead, the increment is assumed to be given in meter, km, miles, or nautical miles, respectively, and will be converted to the equivalent degrees longitude at the middle latitude of the region (the conversion depends on ELLIPSOID). If /y_inc is given but set to 0 it will be reset equal to x_inc; otherwise it will be converted to degrees latitude. All coordinates: If = is appended then the corresponding max x (east) or y (north) may be slightly adjusted to fit exactly the given increment [by default the increment may be adjusted slightly to fit the given domain]. Finally, instead of giving an increment you may specify the number of nodes desired by appending + to the sup- plied integer argument; the increment is then recalculated from the number of nodes and the domain. The resulting increment value depends on whether you have selected a gridline-registered or pixel-registered grid; see Appendix B for details. Note: if -Rgrdfile is used then grid spacing has already been initialized; use -I to override the values. -L Specify the unit used for distance calculations. Choose among e (m), k (km), m (mile), n (nautical mile), or d (spherical degree). A spherical approximation is used unless ELLIPSOID is set to an actual ellipsoid. -N Read the information pertaining to each Voronoi polygon (the unique node lon, lat and polygon area) from a separate file [Default acquires this information from the ASCII segment headers of the output file]. Required if binary input via -Q is used. -Q Append the name of a file with pre-calculated Voronoi polygons [Default performs the Voronoi construction on input data]. For binary data -bi you must specify the node information separately (via -N). -R west, east, south, and north specify the Region of interest, and you may specify them in decimal degrees or in [+-]dd:mm[:ss.xxx][W|E|S|N] format. Append r if lower left and upper right map coordinates are given instead of w/e/s/n. The two shorthands -Rg and -Rd stand for global domain (0/360 and -180/+180 in longitude respectively, with -90/+90 in latitude). Alterna- tively, specify the name of an existing grid file and the -R settings (and grid spacing, if applicable) are copied from the grid. -V Selects verbose mode, which will send progress reports to stderr [Default runs "silently"]. -: Toggles between (longitude,latitude) and (latitude,longitude) input and/or output. [Default is (longitude,latitude)]. Append i to select input only or o to select output only. [Default affects both]. -bi Selects binary input. Append s for single precision [Default is d (double)]. Uppercase S or D will force byte-swapping. Option- ally, append ncol, the number of columns in your binary input file if it exceeds the columns needed by the program. Or append c if the input file is netCDF. Optionally, append var1/var2/... to specify the variables to be read. [Default is 2 input columns]. -bo Selects binary output. Append s for single precision [Default is d (double)]. Uppercase S or D will force byte-swapping. Option- ally, append ncol, the number of desired columns in your binary output file. [Default is same as input]. -m Multiple segment file(s). Segments are separated by a special record. For ASCII files the first character must be flag [Default is '>']. For binary files all fields must be NaN and -b must set the number of output columns explicitly. By default the -m setting applies to both input and output. Use -mi and -mo to give separate settings to input and output. ASCII FORMAT PRECISION
The ASCII output formats of numerical data are controlled by parameters in your .gmtdefaults4 file. Longitude and latitude are formatted according to OUTPUT_DEGREE_FORMAT, whereas other values are formatted according to D_FORMAT. Be aware that the format in effect can lead to loss of precision in the output, which can lead to various problems downstream. If you find the output is not written with enough pre- cision, consider switching to binary output (-bo if available) or specify more decimals using the D_FORMAT setting. GRID VALUES PRECISION
Regardless of the precision of the input data, GMT programs that create grid files will internally hold the grids in 4-byte floating point arrays. This is done to conserve memory and furthermore most if not all real data can be stored using 4-byte floating point values. Data with higher precision (i.e., double precision values) will lose that precision once GMT operates on the grid or writes out new grids. To limit loss of precision when processing data you should always consider normalizing the data prior to processing. EXAMPLES
To construct Voronoi polygons from the points in the file testdata.txt and then calculate distances from the data to a global 1x1 degree grid, use sphdistance testdata.txt -Rg -I1 -Gglobedist.grd To generate the same grid in two steps using sphtriangulate separately, try sphtriangulate testdata.txt -Qv > voronoi.d sphdistance -Qvoronoi.d -Rg -I1 -Gglobedist.grd SEE ALSO
GMT(1), sphinterpolate(1) sphtriangulate(1) triangulate(1) REFERENCES
Renka, R, J., 1997, Algorithm 772: STRIPACK: Delaunay Triangulation and Voronoi Diagram on the Surface of a Sphere, AMC Trans. Math. Soft- ware, 23(3), 416-434. GMT 4.5.7 15 Jul 2011 SPHDISTANCE(1gmt)