Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: getting last error message
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers getting last error message Post 302081618 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 26th of July 2006 02:07:22 PM
Old 07-26-2006
Are you calling dlopen?

Unix is not windows. There is no GetLastError or FormatMessage function.
Normally, you check the return code. If it's a return code that indicates an error,
you have several options, probably perror is a good one to start with - exit:
Code:
#include <stdlib.h>
retval=some_system_call();
if (retval==  <some value that the man page says is an error>   )
{
     perror("call to some_system_call returned a fatal error");
     exit(1);
}

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

error message

Hi All, occasionally my server gives this error messages "NOTICE:HTFS Out of inodes on HTFS dev hd (1/42)" why ?? Alice. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alisev
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error Message

Hi everyone, Can anyone explain what the following error refers to...and perhaps a solution? vxfs: vx_nospace -/tmp file system full (8 block extent) Thanks, Uni (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Uni
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error message

I'm getting an error - symbol referencing errors. No output written to, etc Can anybody tell me why this is? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dan Rooney
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Error message

Hi, My Solaris 5.8 system keeps getting this error at boot - "Can't set vol root to /vol" then /usr/sbin/vold: can't set vol root to /vol: Resource temporarily unavailiable Any idea what is wrong, and how do I fix it? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghuber
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error message

Hi, My Solaris 5.8 system keeps getting this error at boot - "Can't set vol root to /vol" then /usr/sbin/vold: can't set vol root to /vol: Resource temporarily unavailiable Any idea what is wrong, and how do I fix it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ghuber
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error message

I am new to scripting. I am using the following script . BART.dat contains the string 'Y' . #!/bin/ksh cd /work/TCI/data_out file=`cat BART.dat` echo "$file" if ; then echo "true" fi When i am executing the above script i am getting the following error ./s.ksh: : not found ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error Message

What does this means? - ERROR OPENING FILE - KEY LENGHT MISMATCH (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RDM00
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error Message

I keep getting an error message in a script im writing, this line is allways pointed out. if and this is the message i keep getting. line 32: [: 8: unary operator expected Whats wrong with it? Please Help. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chapmana
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What does this Error Message Mean

Hi I found the following error message in my logs: warning: /etc/hosts.deny, line 6: can't verify hostname: getaddrinfo(localhost) didn't return ::ffff:222.255.28.33 What is the error message trying to indicate? That there is a problem with line 6 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
2 Replies
t_error(3)						     Library Functions Manual							t_error(3)

NAME
t_error() - produce error message SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The function produces a language-dependent message on the standard error output which describes the last error encountered during a call to a transport function. The argument string errmsg is a user-supplied error message that gives context to the error. The error message is written as follows: First if errmsg is not a null pointer and the character pointed to be errmsg is not the null character, the string pointed to by errmsg is written followed by a colon and a space. Then a standard error message string for the current error defined in is written. If has a value different from [TSYSERR], the standard error message string is followed by a newline character. If, however, is equal to [TSYSERR], the string is followed by the standard error message string for the current error defined in followed by a newline. The language for error message strings written by is implementation-defined. If it is in English, the error message string describing the value in is identical to the comments following the codes defined in The contents of the error message strings describing the value in are the same as those returned by the function with an argument of To simplify variant formatting of messages, the array of message strings is provided; can be used as an index in this table to get the mes- sage string without the newline. The variable is the largest message number provided for in the table. The error number, is only set when an error occurs and it is not cleared on successful calls. Valid States All - apart from Fork Safety is not fork-safe. RETURN VALUE
For XTI, upon completion, a value of 0 is returned. TLI does not return a value. ERRORS
No errors are defined for the function. EXAMPLES
If a function fails on transport endpoint fd2 because a bad address was given, the following call might follow the failure: The diagnostic message to be printer would look like: where identifies the specific error that occurred, and tells the user which function failed on which transport endpoint. FILES
NLS message catalog for TLI SEE ALSO
thread_safety(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
t_error(3)