Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Comparison of two files in awk Post 302081416 by jerome Sukumar on Tuesday 25th of July 2006 06:41:43 AM
Old 07-25-2006
Problem.

Hi Grial,
Thanks for your prompt and quick response.

The script works for comparing two cols i.e., col 3 and col4 of two files.

If i try to try to compare only col3 of two files,
I am getting redundant records.

Eg:
My File1 consists of 100 records and
file2 consists of 238 records.If i try to compare,file1 and file2 I got 116 records as my o/p
in the console.Can u suggest me,how to rectify this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

String Comparison between two files using awk

I have two files with field seperator as "~". File A: 12~13~14~15 File B: 22~22~32~11 i want to calculate the difference between two files and than calculate the percentage difference and output it to a new file. How do i do this using awk. Also please suggest GOOD awk tutorials. Thank... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk Comparison of 2 specific files

Hi Everybody, I know the topic sounds familiar but I just couldn't adapt or find the right code that solves my particular issue. I really hope you can help. I would like to compare 2 files in an awk script. Both files have different paths. The awk script call should look like that awk -f... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hhoosscchhii
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison and editing of files using awk.(And also a possible bug in awk for loop?)

I have two files which I would like to compare and then manipulate in a way. File1: pictures.txt 1.1 1.3 dance.txt 1.2 1.4 treehouse.txt 1.3 1.5 File2: pictures.txt 1.5 ref2313 1.4 ref2345 1.3 ref5432 1.2 ref4244 dance.txt 1.6 ref2342 1.5 ref2352 1.4 ref0695 1.3 ref5738 1.2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linuxkid
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk comparison

Hello all, Probably a very simple question, I am stuck with a small part of a code: I am trying to do a comparison to get the maximum value of column 6 if columns 1, 4 and 5 of two or more rows match. Here is what I am doing: awk -F'\t' '{if ($6 > a)a=$6}END{for (i in a) print i"\t"a}' ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysean
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

df -> output files; comparison using awk or...

:wall: I am trying to do the following using awk (is that the best way?): Read 2 files created from the output of df (say, on different days) and compare the entries using the 1st (FileSys) and 6th (Mount) fields to see if the size has changed. Output (at least), to a new file (some header... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: renata
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparison of 2 files using unix or awk

Hello, I have 2 files and I want them to be compared in a specific fashion file1: A_1200_1250 A_1251_1300 B_1301_1350 B_1351_1400 B_1401_1450 C_1451_1500 and so on... file2: 1210 1305 1260 1295 1400 1500 1450 1495 Now The script should look for "1200" from A_1200_1250 of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with simple comparison in AWK

Hi, I'm new to AWK and I'm having problems comparing a field to a string variable. /ARTIST/ {x = $2} $1 ~ x {print $0}My code tries to find a record with the string "ARTIST". Once it finds it, it stores the second field of the record into a variable. I don't know what the problem is for the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: klusps
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Replacement using 2 diff files input and comparison

Requirement: If $5(date field) in ipfile is less than $7(date field) in deact file & $1 of ipfile is present in deactfile then $1 to be replaced by $2,$3,$4,$5,$6 of deact file else if $5(date field) in ipfile is greater than $7(date field) in actfile & $1 of ipfile is present in actfile then... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siramitsharma
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - 2 files comparison without for loop - multi-line issue

Greetings Experts, I need to handle the views created over monthly retention tables for which every new table in YYYYMMDD format, there is equivalent view created and the older table which might be dropped, the view over it has to be re-created over a dummy table so that it doesn't fail.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chill3chee
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk comparison using multiple files

Hi, I have 2 files, I need to use column of file1 and do a comparison on file2 column 1 and print the mismatch is file3 as mentioned below. Kindly consider that file 1 is having uniq key(column) whereas in file2 we have multiple duplicates (like 44). These duplicates should not come in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: grv
2 Replies
clear(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     clear(1)

NAME
clear - clear the terminal screen SYNOPSIS
clear [-Ttype] [-V] [-x] DESCRIPTION
clear clears your screen if this is possible, including its scrollback buffer (if the extended "E3" capability is defined). clear looks in the environment for the terminal type given by the environment variable TERM, and then in the terminfo database to determine how to clear the screen. clear writes to the standard output. You can redirect the standard output to a file (which prevents clear from actually clearing the screen), and later cat the file to the screen, clearing it at that point. OPTIONS
-T type indicates the type of terminal. Normally this option is unnecessary, because the default is taken from the environment variable TERM. If -T is specified, then the shell variables LINES and COLUMNS will also be ignored. -V reports the version of ncurses which was used in this program, and exits. The options are as follows: -x do not attempt to clear the terminal's scrollback buffer using the extended "E3" capability. HISTORY
A clear command appeared in 2.79BSD dated February 24, 1979. Later that was provided in Unix 8th edition (1985). AT&T adapted a different BSD program (tset) to make a new command (tput), and used this to replace the clear command with a shell script which calls tput clear, e.g., /usr/bin/tput ${1:+-T$1} clear 2> /dev/null exit In 1989, when Keith Bostic revised the BSD tput command to make it similar to the AT&T tput, he added a shell script for the clear command: exec tput clear The remainder of the script in each case is a copyright notice. The ncurses clear command began in 1995 by adapting the original BSD clear command (with terminfo, of course). The E3 extension came later: o In June 1999, xterm provided an extension to the standard control sequence for clearing the screen. Rather than clearing just the vis- ible part of the screen using printf '33[2J' one could clear the scrollback using printf '33[3J' This is documented in XTerm Control Sequences as a feature originating with xterm. o A few other terminal developers adopted the feature, e.g., PuTTY in 2006. o In April 2011, a Red Hat developer submitted a patch to the Linux kernel, modifying its console driver to do the same thing. The Linux change, part of the 3.0 release, did not mention xterm, although it was cited in the Red Hat bug report (#683733) which led to the change. o Again, a few other terminal developers adopted the feature. But the next relevant step was a change to the clear program in 2013 to incorporate this extension. o In 2013, the E3 extension was overlooked in tput with the "clear" parameter. That was addressed in 2016 by reorganizing tput to share its logic with clear and tset. PORTABILITY
Neither IEEE Std 1003.1/The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 7 (POSIX.1-2008) nor X/Open Curses Issue 7 documents tset or reset. The latter documents tput, which could be used to replace this utility either via a shell script or by an alias (such as a symbolic link) to run tput as clear. SEE ALSO
tput(1), terminfo(5) This describes ncurses version 6.1 (patch 20180127). clear(1)