Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Crontab question
Operating Systems Solaris Crontab question Post 302081369 by *Jess* on Monday 24th of July 2006 11:31:43 PM
Old 07-25-2006
Crontab question

HI all,

I would want to schedule a job to run every 2 weeks. In the mean time, i'm only able to schedule on every week. Is it possible to schedule 2 weeks on crontab?

Thank you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab question

Why does this cron entry do nothing? It works interactively. 58 23 * * * mydate=`date '+%Y%m%d'`;mv /opt/home/user/file /opt/home/user/file_$mydate (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: steelrose
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab Question.

I set up a job to run a script in a certain directory to remove certain files. The script seems to run as my logs indicate but nothing happens. If I run the script manually then it removes the correct files. I'm now wondering if crontab doesnt have access to remove files from the directory I'm... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
9 Replies

3. AIX

How-to crontab question

My question is how to specify the one-time execution of a shell script in crontab? For example: If I wanted to schedule shell "Test.sh" for one-time execution on December 13 at 8:00AM would it be as follows? 00 08 13 12 6 /usr/datatools/dtbackups/Test.sh > /usr/u/sybase_12.5/logs/Test.log &... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alan.AIX
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question about crontab

Hello guys, I have a server with Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 5), there i have a lot of users, im the root. I need to lock the use of crontab to the users, i mean, i dont want to give to the users the option to creat any crontab line, how can i do that? I tried to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lestat_ecuador
4 Replies

5. HP-UX

Crontab question

Please cna you tell me if the following command entered in error would affect the crontab file crontab -e | more Thanks :) (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: blondie2407
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

crontab question

I have a user (xxx) who is allowed to run cron jobs when a job is launched from cron is the .profile sourced in? I am not sure it is so I setup a cron job as this user to do the following: 35 15 * * 0-5 su - xxx -c "ksh ls -lt /tmp" > /tmp.out and I am seeing the following error (see... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Crontab question

I want to run a script on (say) the 4th friday every month. But if I include this line in the crontab : 45 9 22-28 * 5 echo '4th Friday'|mailx -s "Fri week 4" mike it sends me mail if the date is 22-28, OR the day is friday. So I get mail every day for a week , and also every friday. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikejordan
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Another crontab question

Hey out there This is all I have in my crontab file. I know the crontab works because it was already out there and working. I simply replaced the existing with my line of code below to see if it worked. I uploaded 6 month old pdf files in this directory, stopped/started all the scripts that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsekvsek
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab question

I need to run an script every 10th and 25th day in every month at 11pm. the script name is /home/ss/automated.sh I tried to execute the script every day and everytime with the below syntax. its not executing it from crontab. * * * * * /home/ss/automated.sh Any idea why it not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question on crontab

Hello, I have scheduled the execution of a file (delete_oldv02) every hour with crontab and it works perfectly. See below the instruction written. 0 */1 * * * /home/delete_oldv02 >>/home/delete_oldv02.log My first question is if I can add one more line to crontab. I also would like to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcaccount
5 Replies
crontab(1)						      General Commands Manual							crontab(1)

NAME
crontab - user job file scheduler SYNOPSIS
[file] [username] [username] [username] DESCRIPTION
The command manages a crontab file for the user. You can use a crontab file to schedule jobs that are executed automatically by (see cron(1M)) on a regular basis. The command has four forms: Create or replace your crontab file by copying the specified file, or standard input if file is omitted or is specified as file, into the crontab directory, The name of your crontab file in the crontab directory is the same as your effective user name. If the compartmentalization feature is enabled, the crontab file is your effective user name followed by a colon followed by the compartment id from which the crontab file is created. Edit a copy of the user's crontab file, or create an empty file to edit if the crontab file does not exist. When editing is complete, the file will be copied into the crontab directory as the user's crontab file. If the compartmentalization feature is enabled, it only edits a copy of the user's crontab file from the compartment that the crontab files were created from. Lists the user's crontab file. If the compartmentalization feature is enabled, it only lists the crontab files from the compartment that the crontab files were created from. Remove the user's crontab file from the crontab directory. If the compartmentalization feature is enabled, it only removes the crontab files from the compartment that the crontab files were created from. Only a privileged user can use username following the or options, to edit, list, or remove the crontab file of the specified user. The entries in a crontab file are lines of six fields each. The fields are separated by spaces or tabs. The lines have the following for- mat: minute hour monthday month weekday command The first five are integer patterns that specify when the sixth field, command, should be executed. They can have the following ranges of values: minute The minute of the hour, hour The hour of the day, monthday The day of the month, month The month of the year, weekday The day of the week, Each pattern can be either an asterisk meaning all legal values, or a list of elements separated by commas. An element is either a number in the ranges shown above, or two numbers in the range separated by a hyphen (meaning an inclusive range). Note that the specification of days can be made in two fields: monthday and weekday. If both are specified in an entry, they are cumulative. For example, runs command at midnight on the first and fifteenth of each month, as well as every Monday. To specify days in only one field, set the other field to asterisk For example, runs command only on Mondays. The sixth field, command (the balance of a line including blanks in a crontab file), is a string that is executed by the shell at the spec- ified times. A percent character in this field (unless escaped by a backslash is translated to a newline character, dividing the field into "lines". Only the first "line" (up to a or end-of-line) of the command field is executed by the shell. Any other "lines" are made available to the command as standard input. Blank lines and those whose first non-blank character is will be ignored. invokes the command from the user's directory with the POSIX shell, It runs in the queue (see queuedefs(4)). supplies a default environment for every shell, defining: Users who desire to have their executed must explicitly do so in the crontab entry or in a script called by the entry. You can execute if your name appears in the file If that file does not exist, you can use if your name does not appear in the file If only exists and is empty, all users can use If neither file exists, only the user can use The files consist of one user name per line. Security Restrictions If the compartmentalization feature is enabled, and invoke the jobs from the compartment that the jobs were created from. Note that cre- ates the job files in Hence, if the command is invoked from a compartment which has no write access to this directory and which disallows the privilege, fails to schedule the jobs. See compartments(5) and privileges(5) for more information. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the interpretation of text within file as single and/or multibyte characters. determines the language in which messages are displayed. If or is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty variable. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). determines the editor to be invoked when option is specified. The default editor is vi. International Code Set Support Single-byte and multibyte character code sets are supported. WARNINGS
Be sure to redirect the standard output and standard error from commands. If this is not done, any generated standard output or standard error is mailed to the user. FILES
Main cron directory List of allowed users List of denied users Accounting information Directory containing the crontab files SEE ALSO
sh(1), cron(1M), queuedefs(4), compartments(5), privileges(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
crontab(1)