Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Programming/Scripting Languages To Learn Post 302081314 by tjinr on Monday 24th of July 2006 12:28:33 PM
Old 07-24-2006
Programming/Scripting Languages To Learn

Which languages would, in the long run, be best to learn on a UNIX environment
for kernel work, every day programs, and overall UNIX programming? I've been learning C for over a year now (which I'm pretty confident with) and decided I want to look into some other languages.

I'll mainly be working on UNIX-flavors like Linux. I've heard of sh (already know), PERL, Python, Ruby, Tcl, AWK, and some others. Which languages would be best
to learn? I know best is a pretty loose term in programming; I mean most important in UNIX, most useful. May not of made myself clear enough.

Any advice will be appreciated.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

scripting languages

I am currently working as a configuration manager on a quite a large project. Our development environment is on NT, but from unit testing onwards it will be UNIX. I will need to write scripts to automate the process of migrating code from NT to UNIX, now since I am new to UNIX, I wasn't sure if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: headspin
3 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Shell scripting & programming languages

If I want to do high-end 3d animation, what skell scripting languages, and programming languages shoul I learn? If you know any good resources for learning these languages they would be appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aloysius1001
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Operating System and Programming languages

I'm trying to create an operating system. Just as a small hobby, it will not be anything big I am trying to get some practice. Does anyone reccomend a certain programming language because I dont know which one to use. Any help please? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacx2
2 Replies

4. Programming

Want To Learn Network Programming

I want to learn Network Programming with C,but I don't know how to start. Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hubin330
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to export/link Control_m with another programming languages

Hello All. Everyday at work I have to fill a big .xls spreadsheet with process chains start and end time information. The thing is that it takes too long and a lot of boring work. :( I was wondering if I could link this with a tool in java that would export this information into a .xls... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pingosa
1 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Programming languages polyglots: how many languages you know?

Post what languages (including scripting) you know, why and where you think that language is most usable. Also include libraries in which you're really good at (libusb, gtk, qt, etc). assembly? C or C++? perl or python? pascal? bash or csh/tcsh? opengl? gtk or qt? mono? (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: redoubtable
27 Replies

7. Web Development

What Web Development languages should i learn?

I am learning Web Development, so far i am learning html,xhtml, css, java script.... What I want to know is what other Web Development languages should i learn? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
1 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

How can I learn computer programming languages on my own?

I would love the idea to develop games. How can I teach myself computer programming? What programs or software must I use? I have the new iMac? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Best way to learn UNIX and shell Programming

Guys, What do you think is the best way to learn UNIX and shell scripting? ** I keep on searching tutorials online, where I loose most of my time :( Let me know the way you learnt the UNIX concepts, your replies might help me learn more. Thanks a ton:b: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnam9917
2 Replies
standards(5)							File Formats Manual						      standards(5)

NAME
standards - UNIX standards behavior on HP-UX DESCRIPTION
HP-UX conforms to various UNIX standards. In some cases, these standards conflict. This manpage describes the methods that programmers and users must follow to have an application conform and execute according to a particular UNIX standard. UNIX Standard Conformant Programmer Environment The following table lists feature test macros and environment variables that must be defined while compiling an application. Both a fea- ture test macro and an environment variable must be defined while compiling the application so that the application conforms and executes according to a particular UNIX standard. Otherwise, the behavior is undefined. Standard Feature Test Macros to be Environment variable defined during compilation to be set UNIX 95 _XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED=1 UNIX95 or UNIX_STD=95 or UNIX_STD=1995 UNIX 2003 _XOPEN_SOURCE=600 UNIX_STD=2003 The compiler uses the feature test macros to obtain the appropriate namespace from the header files. The compiler uses the environment variable to link in an appropriate object file to the executable. Using the environment variable customizes libc to match UNIX standards for various functions. If an application has already been compiled for default HP-UX behavior or for one particular standard, and needs to change to a particular UNIX standard behavior, recompile the application as specified in the above table. For an HP-UX command to conform to a particular UNIX standard behavior, the application has to set the corresponding environment variable as specified in the above table before executing that command. UNIX Standard Conformant User Environment To enable a particular UNIX standard conformant user environment, set the corresponding environment variable as defined in the above table. EXAMPLES
The following examples shows an application example. To have the system be conformant to UNIX2003 behavior, set the environment variable to and define the feature test macro before compilation. The following example changes the command to have UNIX95 behavior by setting one of the environment variables to or to before executing that command. There are three ways of setting the environment variable for UNIX95: or or SEE ALSO
cc(1), stdsyms(5). standards(5)