Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: 80 bytes per line ???
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting 80 bytes per line ??? Post 302081284 by u263066 on Monday 24th of July 2006 10:27:10 AM
Old 07-24-2006
folding a string

is there any otherway to break into 80 byte per line with putting a line break...
As fold does not fit in the current schema .

here is the document which says

breaking the lines to have a maximum of width column positions
(or bytes, if the -b option is specified). The fold command breaks
lines by inserting a newline character so that each output line is the
maximum width possible that does not exceed the specified number of
column positions (or bytes).
A line cannot be broken in the middle of
a character. If no files are specified or if a file name of - is
specified, the standard input is used.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove first N bytes and last N bytes from a binary file on AIX.

Hi all, Does anybody know or guide me on how to remove the first N bytes and the last N bytes from a binary file? Is there any AWK or SED or any command that I can use to achieve this? Your help is greatly appreciated!! Best Regards, Naveen. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naveendronavall
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Files with zero bytes

Hi All, I want to find zero byte files in the given folder for the given day. I know we can use find . -size 0 -mtime 0 But is there an option for file creation.? ls -lart | grep ' 0 Apr 24' will also work. Also is there any alternative using awk ? I want to know how to use awk in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: preethgideon
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture first N Bytes from first line in a file

Hi Guyz, I need to capture first N Bytes from the first line of my file. Eg. If i have following data in File1 414d51204541495052475731202020204a910846230e420c Hello 3621363663212 Help Required Then, i want the value of first 48 Bytes to be stored in a variable. That is, variable... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DTechBuddy
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted(tried to allocate 401 bytes)

While running script I am getting an error like Few lines in data are not being processed. After googling it I came to know that adding such line would give some memory to it ini_set("memory_limit","64M"); my input file size is 1 GB. Is that memory limit is based on RAM we have on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: elamurugu
1 Replies

5. Programming

Copying 1024 bytes data in 3-bytes chunk

Hi, If I want to copy a 1024 byte data stream in to the target location in 3-bytes chunk, I guess I can use the following script. dd bs=1024 count=3 if=/src of=/dest But, I would like to know, how to do it via a C program. I have tried this with memcpy(), that did not help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: Input line Cannot be longer than 3,000 bytes.

Guys, I want to get the high CPU utilization from top. I am using below code : top -d2 >> /home/dba_monitoring/host_top_output.txt echo "Script started `date`" > $runlog usage=`grep "^ *$1" /home/dba_monitoring/host_top_output.txt | awk '{print $12}' | sed 's/%//'` And getting below... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wahab
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

X bytes of 0, Y bytes of random data, Z bytes of 5, T bytes of 1. ??

Hello guys. I really hope someone will help me with this one.. So, I have to write this script who: - creates a file home/student/vmdisk of 10 mb - formats that file to ext3 - mounts that partition to /mnt/partition - creates a file /mnt/partition/data. In this file, there will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: razolo13
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script - entered input(1-40 bytes) needs to be converted exactly 40 bytes

hello, suppose, entered input is of 1-40 bytes, i need it to be converted to 40 bytes exactly. example: if i have entered my name anywhere between 1-40 i want it to be stored with 40 bytes exactly. enter your name: donald duck (this is of 11 bytes) expected is as below - display 11... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shravan.300
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get file's first x bytes

is there a better way to do this: head -c 10000k /var/dump.log | head -c 6000k unfortunately, the "-c" option is not available on sun solaris. so i'm looking at "dd". but i dont know how to use it to achieve the same exact goal as the above head command. this needs to work on both solaris... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies

10. Programming

Best way to axe N bytes from the right?

say that i have strings that end in "text" foo.9.text, bar.10.text, baz.11.text and i want a C function to chop off the last four characters and replace each string with a '\0'; obviously with error-checking. Any ideas? TIA! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gary Kline
7 Replies
FOLD(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   FOLD(1)

NAME
fold -- fold long lines for finite width output device SYNOPSIS
fold [-bs] [-w width] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The fold utility is a filter which folds the contents of the specified files, or the standard input if no files are specified, breaking the lines to have a maximum of 80 columns. The options are as follows: -b Count width in bytes rather than column positions. -s Fold line after the last blank character within the first width column positions (or bytes). -w width Specify a line width to use instead of the default 80 columns. The width value should be a multiple of 8 if tabs are present, or the tabs should be expanded using expand(1) before using fold. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of fold as described in environ(7). SEE ALSO
expand(1), fmt(1) STANDARDS
The fold utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). BUGS
If underlining (see ul(1)) is present it may be messed up by folding. BSD
December 15, 2006 BSD