Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Viewing files of another unix server (in a folder) Post 302080745 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 20th of July 2006 10:09:43 AM
Old 07-20-2006
nfsd is something the guy who owns and runs Comp2 has to do, not you.
The whole NFS thing is a sysadmin job. Without NFS you will not be able to see the remote folder in the "file manager" window.

Actually based on your description, I'd say that without somebody local and knowledgeable who can help, you're going to have to learn a lot before you can implement anything really useful.

remsh is like rlogin, but it accepts just one command. It's possible you have rexec.
Sounds like you have Linux, so try info rexec.

The which command will show you what is on your system - for example suppose you want to see if remsh is available:
Code:
which remsh

If it comes back with a filename maybe like "/usr/bin/remsh" you know it's on your box.
Otherwise it will complain.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i move data files from a server to unix folder

Hi: I am very new in UNIX environment. I need big help. How I can move data files from a server to UNIX folder by script. I don't want to use ws-ftp. The script should check the file on server, if any file found, move it to UNIX folder. I will be very happy, if some one helps me out.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shah2
1 Replies

2. Programming

unix C++: get the files from a folder

Hello everybody! How can I get the list of files from a folder in C++ (unix)? thanks in advance for any help! regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nadiamihu
2 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

Copy folder and its contents from HP Unix server to RH Linux

I am trying to copy a folder and all its contents from HP Unix box to RH linux, using the following. rsync -avz -e "ssh" /users/www/webroot/docFiles/Division/Ctry ftpuser@10.4.xxx.yz:/data/webroot/development/contentfiles/webroot/docFiles/Division/Ctry/QAfiles And it throws a consistent... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FanTom
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to FTP a file from the local folder to unix server

Hi All, please help me to write a shell that ftp a file which is in the local (C:\) drive to a Unix server. Where as i know the IP for the Unix server. i could do this process by using ftp command. pls help me to write as Shell script. Thanks in advance for all of your answers.:b::b: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: little_wonder
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for to take files from FTP server to UNIX server and Unzipped that files

script for to take files from FTP server to UNIX server and Unzipped that files (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunilamarnadh
1 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

Need to copy the latest file from Unix server to Shared folder

Hi All, One job in unix server will generate .csv files daily. I need to copy the latest of these .csv file from the unix server to the shared drive/folder in windows through unix script. My shared folder will look something like W:\some folder(for example). Could any one of you please help... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaya@123
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and delete files and folders which are n days older from one unix server to another unix server

Hi All, Let me know how can i find and delete files from one unix server to another unix server which are 'N' days older. Please note that I need to delete files on remote unix server.So, probably i will need to use sftp, but question is how can i identify files and folders which are 'N'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachinkl
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy folder and files from unix server to linux server

We would be migrating unix solaries to Linux redhat. Basically source is unix and target is linux. i would like to copy entire file system unix/source/* to target linux/souce/* but target linux has only folder setup so what ever files copied need to be placed in the linux server with same... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: balajikalai
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

BatchScript/Unix shell Script to check folder in Windows server

Hi, It will be great help if any of them can provide or tell which scripting is possible to write for checking folder exists or not in Windows server from Unix/Windows machine. If folder doesn't exist then need to create the folder through script and copy the files. It is on very... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prakashchakra7
1 Replies

10. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Transfer of zipped folder from windows desktop to UNIX server

Hi all, I'm a newbie to unix. My requirement is to create an automation script which will transfer a zipped folder from my/remote desktop to an unix server. Tools lik WinSCP shouldnt be used. No manual moving. I use putty to connect to server. I couldnt find any help on this topic. Should i use... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sherin22
3 Replies
XON(1)							      General Commands Manual							    XON(1)

NAME
xon - start an X program on a remote machine SYNOPSIS
xon remote-host [-access] [-debug] [-name window-name] [-nols] [-screen screen-no] [-user user-name] [command ...] DESCRIPTION
Xon runs the specified command (default xterm -ls) on the remote machine using rsh, remsh, or rcmd. Xon passes the DISPLAY, XAUTHORITY and XUSERFILESEARCHPATH environment variables to the remote command. When no command is specified, xon runs 'xterm -ls'. It additionally specifies the application name to be 'xterm-remote-host' and the win- dow title to be '-fIremote-host'. Xon can only work when the remote host will allow you to log in without a password, by having an entry in the .rhosts file permitting access. OPTIONS
Note that the options follow the remote host name (as they do with rlogin). -access Runs xhost locally to add the remote host to the host access list in the X server. This won't work unless xhost is given permission to modify the access list. -debug Normally, xon disconnects the remote process from stdin, stdout and stderr to eliminate the daemon processes which usually connect them across the network. Specifying the -debug option leaves them connected so that error messages from the remote execution are sent back to the originating host. -name window-name This specifies a different application name and window title for the default command (xterm). -nols Normally xon passes the -ls option to the remote xterm; this option suspends that behaviour. -screen screen-no This changes the screen number of the DISPLAY variable passed to the remote command. -user user-name By default, xon simply uses rsh/remsh/rcmd to connect to the remote machine using the same user name as on the local machine. This option cause xon to specify an alternative user name. This will not work unless you have authorization to access the remote account, by placing an appropriate entry in the remote users .rhosts file. BUGS
Xon can get easily confused when the remote-host, user-name or various environment variable values contain white space. Xon has no way to send the appropriate X authorization information to the remote host. XFree86 Version 4.7.0 XON(1)