Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX 11.0 fresh install: I never see CDE Login Post 302080730 by Ebbi on Thursday 20th of July 2006 09:50:24 AM
Old 07-20-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikTheHAck
I assume I need this config file?
I'm not sure if you really need that file, I might be that it is not available if you installed the machine without network.
CDE needs proper name resolution and the standard order after a fresh installation is DNS -> /etc/hosts -> NIS/NIS+
So if your system is not yet registered in the DNS, the hostname cannot be resolved and CDE does not start. So you have to switch this order to /etc/hosts -> DNS -> [...]. You can use sam for that in single user mode.
Go to "Networking and Communications" -> "Name Service Switch" and then see the order at "hosts". First source should be "/etc/hosts".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikTheHAck
Something else unrelated but maybe you can help me out with -- Is it normal for the shell prompt to be the british pount sign? I'm used to # -- oddly enough a shift-3 produces the brit pount sign instead of #. I also noticed that the backslash-pipe key has no effect making it impossible to enter a pipe character. I must have somehow mapped the wrong keyboard/display. Can I change this? -- sorry for the off topic.
If you're on the console (ITE) or on an HP terminal this is because "ASCII 8 bit mode" is enabled. You can turn it off in the setup menu, which you can access through the function keys:

- Press Numlock
-> the yellow boxes on the bottom of screen change their description
- F8 config keys
- F5 terminal config
- go with TAB to "ASCII 8 Bits"
- set with F2 to "Yes"
- save with F1

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Root password for fresh 5.1 install on 43p-140?

I've installed AIX 5.1 on a 43p-140, but am unable to log in. At no point in the install did it ask me for a root password. When it boots to the console prompt, I enter "root" as a username, and then after 1 second it cycles right back to another root prompt. I am accessing the 43p-140... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: akbar
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Only LAN access after fresh install

Hello, For whatever reason, after installing Solaris 10 I can ping anything within my own LAN, including the router which is also set as the default gateway, but I have no internet connectivity with it. At first I thought this was a DNS issue, but I can't connect with external IP addresses... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Quadratic
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Not able to login through JDS but able to login through CDE

Dear All I am in a strange situation where I have install the Solaris 10 5/08 OS on Netra 1280 server. When I connect it through my laptop so that I can take the GUI from xmanager. When I try to login as root or any other users also through Java Destop Environment which accepted it after few... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Fresh install of solaris 10 using an ISO

Hi all Im rebuilding an 6800 domain with solaris 10. Server is located in a different town and cant be bothered to drive down and install a dvd into its drive. So, apart from jumpstarting it and using a local DVD, is there a way I can an ISO image to build a new client ?? eg. mount an ISO... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 8 fresh install halts

Installing Solaris 8 for the first time...on a SunBlade 100. I have original Solaris 8 CD's. About 45 minutes into the installation, the install halts with the following errors: ERROR: Could not open file /a/etc/vfstab ERROR: Could not create the file system mount table /etc/vfstab I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
4 Replies

6. AIX

ISCSI poor performance 1.5MB/s fresh install AIX7.1

Hi Everyone, I have been struggling for few days with iSCSI and thought I could get some help on the forum... fresh install of AIX7.1 TL4 on Power 710, The rootvg relies on 3 SAS disks in RAID 0, 32GB Memory The lpar Profile is using all of the managed system's resources. I have connected... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: frenchy59
11 Replies

7. Debian

Debian fresh install blinking cursor meaning?

Hello, I have downloaded and install debian in computer it is blinking cursor what this mean? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Riteshkakkar
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Fresh Install - Boot Load Failed

I have M10-1. Installation OS 10 from cdrom external. Here message from OK Prompt {0} ok probe-scsi-all /pci@8000/pci@4/pci@0/pci@2/pci@0/usb@4,1/cdrom@1 Unit 0 Removable Read Only device HL-DT-STDVDRAM GP65NB60 PF00 But.. {0} ok boot... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbahjiman
3 Replies
DtWsmAddWorkspaceFunctions(library call)								  DtWsmAddWorkspaceFunctions(library call)

NAME
DtWsmAddWorkspaceFunctions -- add workspace functions for a window SYNOPSIS
#include <Dt/Wsm.h> void DtWsmAddWorkspaceFunctions( Display *display, Window window); DESCRIPTION
The DtWsmAddWorkspaceFunctions function enables workspace functions for a window. When workspace functions are enabled, the default window menu for the window displayed by the CDE workspace manager, dtwm(1), shows entries that allow the window to occupy a different set of workspaces, occupy all workspaces, or be removed from the current workspace. The display argument is the X display. The window argument is the window to have its workspace functions enabled. RETURN VALUE
The DtWsmAddWorkspaceFunctions function returns no value. APPLICATION USAGE
The application must call the DtWsmAddWorkspaceFunctions function before mapping the window. The CDE workspace manager, dtwm(1), only looks at the workspace function information at the time the workspace manager manages the window. If the CDE workspace manager, dtwm(1), is currently managing the window, the application must withdraw the window (see XWithdrawWindow(3)), add the workspace functions, and map the window once again. By default, the workspace manager enables workspace functions. The application should call DtWsmAddWorkspaceFunctions to restore the workspace functions removed by the DtWsmRemoveWorkspaceFunctions(3) function. SEE ALSO
Dt/Wsm.h - DtWsm(5), XWithdrawWindow(3), dtwm(1), DtWsmRemoveWorkspaceFunctions(3). DtWsmAddWorkspaceFunctions(library call)