Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting new to shell scripting: whats wrong with my if loop Post 302080702 by reborg on Thursday 20th of July 2006 08:34:15 AM
Old 07-20-2006
read the man page for your shell, the -z option is not what you are looking for in the if statement.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whats wrong with the syntax

Whats wrong with below logic or syntax???? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

tell me whats wrong in this?

#! /bin/bash head -5 $1 echo "remove $1 ?" read answer if then echo invalid answer elif rm $1 echo "$1 is deleted" elif then echo file is not deleted else echo "invalid answer" fi What i really want this to do is to ask to delete the file or not..it says something wrong... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nadman123
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

tell me whats wrong with this

#! /bin/bash USAGE=" | ] if then echo "$USAGE" exit 1 fi while getopts lb: OPTION do case $(OPTION)in a) echo Hi there! exit 2;; b) echo hello o) OARG=$OPTARG;; \?)echo "$USAGE" ;; exit 2;; esac done shift `expr... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nadman123
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

whats wrong with this?

can anyone tell me why this code doesn't work how its supposed to, its the hangman game but it doesn't play how its supposed to #!/bin/bash NoAttempts="0" livesgiven="5" LivesRemain=$livesgiven LettersAttempted="" wordfile=words numwords=0 function menu() { clear cat << menu... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ferrycorsten73
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whats wrong with my Loop

Hi all, I have been given a task to search for strings in a file that is encoded. I need to display the file name only when all the 3 strings which i provide are present in the file name. i first try to get a list of files according from the directory according to the value passed in argument... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit1_x
0 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Whats wrong with this shell script!!!!!

hi guys can you tell me if anything is wrong with this script, seems reasonable to me but somehow never works. Script redacted for being too explicit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Freddo
2 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Whats wrong with the following

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: ls -ld htdocs drwxr-x--- 3 root root 8192 2006-11-19 10:41 htdocs How would a host administrator... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Larry_1
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Whats wrong with this if-else

hi whats wrong in below?? CHECK=M10; if ; then echo "hello hi"; else echo "how are u hello hi"; fi I am getting error as ./test.sh: line 2: ' ./test.sh: line 2: M10: command not found ./test.sh: line 2: M10: command not found ./test.sh: line 2: M10: command not found (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
8 Replies

9. Programming

Whats wrong with this If statement?

Hi I am pretty new to bash scripting.I am trying to write the if statement in bash and it give me error. Can you please help me what I am doing wrong in If statement? Code: if && && then fector=$kk; divide=$DB_SIZE/$kk; echo "factor value:$fector" echo"divide... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gevni
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whats wrong with this If statement?

Hi I am pretty new to bash scripting.I am trying to write the if statement in bash and it give me error. Can you please help me what I am doing wrong in If statement? if && && then fector=$kk; divide=$DB_SIZE/$kk; echo "factor value:$fector" echo"divide value:$divide"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gevni
4 Replies
WHICH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  WHICH(1)

NAME
which - shows the full path of (shell) commands. SYNOPSIS
which [options] [--] programname [...] DESCRIPTION
Which takes one or more arguments. For each of its arguments it prints to stdout the full path of the executables that would have been exe- cuted when this argument had been entered at the shell prompt. It does this by searching for an executable or script in the directories listed in the environment variable PATH using the same algorithm as bash(1). This man page is generated from the file which.texinfo. OPTIONS
--all, -a Print all matching executables in PATH, not just the first. --read-alias, -i Read aliases from stdin, reporting matching ones on stdout. This is useful in combination with using an alias for which itself. For example alias which='alias | which -i'. --skip-alias Ignore option `--read-alias', if any. This is useful to explicity search for normal binaries, while using the `--read-alias' option in an alias or function for which. --read-functions Read shell function definitions from stdin, reporting matching ones on stdout. This is useful in combination with using a shell func- tion for which itself. For example: which() { declare -f | which --read-functions $@ } export -f which --skip-functions Ignore option `--read-functions', if any. This is useful to explicity search for normal binaries, while using the `--read-functions' option in an alias or function for which. --skip-dot Skip directories in PATH that start with a dot. --skip-tilde Skip directories in PATH that start with a tilde and executables which reside in the HOME directory. --show-dot If a directory in PATH starts with a dot and a matching executable was found for that path, then print "./programname" rather than the full path. --show-tilde Output a tilde when a directory matches the HOME directory. This option is ignored when which is invoked as root. --tty-only Stop processing options on the right if not on tty. --version,-v,-V Print version information on standard output then exit successfully. --help Print usage information on standard output then exit successfully. RETURN VALUE
Which returns the number of failed arguments, or -1 when no `programname' was given. EXAMPLE
The recommended way to use this utility is by adding an alias (C shell) or shell function (Bourne shell) for which like the following: [ba]sh: which () { (alias; declare -f) | /usr/bin/which --tty-only --read-alias --read-functions --show-tilde --show-dot $@ } export -f which [t]csh: alias which 'alias | /usr/bin/which --tty-only --read-alias --show-dot --show-tilde' This will print the readable ~/ and ./ when starting which from your prompt, while still printing the full path when used from a script: > which q2 ~/bin/q2 > echo `which q2` /home/carlo/bin/q2 BUGS
The HOME directory is determined by looking for the HOME environment variable, which aborts when this variable doesn't exist. Which will consider two equivalent directories to be different when one of them contains a path with a symbolic link. AUTHOR
Carlo Wood <carlo@gnu.org> SEE ALSO
bash(1) WHICH(1)