Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming New to C Programming in UNIX environment Post 302080469 by patras on Wednesday 19th of July 2006 01:14:28 AM
Old 07-19-2006
New to C Programming in UNIX environment

Hi all,

I know the basics of C programming, but I dont know a single thing about how to write, compile and run C code in UNIX, also where liberaris are stored, how .headers files are being managed in unix, how to debug c code and what are the available GNU tools for c programming in linux env, and what are the advantages of c programming in unix env.

Can any body give me the start. Thnx in advance.

Cheers,
Patras

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

MixWindows UNIX environment

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience in this area. The company that I work at is trying to bring a Windows 2000 server online and have the UNIX workstations and Clients connect to it like it is anothe UNIX box. They have been using Windows Services for UNIX to do this but are having... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaikara1
1 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Java Programming in UNIX Environment

A suggetion: Don't we need to start Java Programming in UNIX Environment Forum ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cub
1 Replies

3. Programming

c programming or unix programming!?

i would like advice on the usbject of c programming (in the middle of reading a book on C). could i benefit more if i apply that knowledge in the unix format if i were able to, or would that take the point out of learning C, basically I want to stay away from strying too far away from unix and use... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

programming for unix environment

i have to make a menu based program to allow iusers to select the system information about their machine that they want. All i have been taught is how to enter commands at the command prompt like simple commands such as pwd and cd directory to change directory (not even sure if that is right). But... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: carlvernon
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Systems Programming Vs Unix Programming

Several months ago I found a link that explained the difference between how a Unix Systems Admin would do scripting compared to what a Unix Programmer would do. It showed a basic script and then show several iterations that explained how the Systems Admin would change it to make it better. I was... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: BCarlson
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix environment

Hi, Can anyone recommend a site where one can practise UNIX scripting . I don't have UNIX on my machine however I have heard there are some sites which let you log on to their servers for free. Thanks Rohit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohitv
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Carreer:Networking Programming in Unix (C programming Language)

Hello, I am trying to learn Networking Programming in C in unix enviorment. I want to know how good it is to become a network programmer. i am crazy about Network programming but i also want to opt for the best carreer options. Anybody experienced Network Programmer, please tell me is my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhory2j
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ?

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ? Please help. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep problem from The Unix Programming Environment

Hi Here is the problem ( Exercise 3-3, Using The Shell of The Unix Programming Environment, Kerninghan, Pike, 3rd edition ): Predict what each of the following grep commands will do, and then verify your understanding. grep \$ grep \\$ grep \\\$ grep '\$' grep '\'$' grep \\ grep \\\\... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dum_dum20
3 Replies
standards(5)							File Formats Manual						      standards(5)

NAME
standards - UNIX standards behavior on HP-UX DESCRIPTION
HP-UX conforms to various UNIX standards. In some cases, these standards conflict. This manpage describes the methods that programmers and users must follow to have an application conform and execute according to a particular UNIX standard. UNIX Standard Conformant Programmer Environment The following table lists feature test macros and environment variables that must be defined while compiling an application. Both a fea- ture test macro and an environment variable must be defined while compiling the application so that the application conforms and executes according to a particular UNIX standard. Otherwise, the behavior is undefined. Standard Feature Test Macros to be Environment variable defined during compilation to be set UNIX 95 _XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED=1 UNIX95 or UNIX_STD=95 or UNIX_STD=1995 UNIX 2003 _XOPEN_SOURCE=600 UNIX_STD=2003 The compiler uses the feature test macros to obtain the appropriate namespace from the header files. The compiler uses the environment variable to link in an appropriate object file to the executable. Using the environment variable customizes libc to match UNIX standards for various functions. If an application has already been compiled for default HP-UX behavior or for one particular standard, and needs to change to a particular UNIX standard behavior, recompile the application as specified in the above table. For an HP-UX command to conform to a particular UNIX standard behavior, the application has to set the corresponding environment variable as specified in the above table before executing that command. UNIX Standard Conformant User Environment To enable a particular UNIX standard conformant user environment, set the corresponding environment variable as defined in the above table. EXAMPLES
The following examples shows an application example. To have the system be conformant to UNIX2003 behavior, set the environment variable to and define the feature test macro before compilation. The following example changes the command to have UNIX95 behavior by setting one of the environment variables to or to before executing that command. There are three ways of setting the environment variable for UNIX95: or or SEE ALSO
cc(1), stdsyms(5). standards(5)