Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Vaildation of command line inputs Post 302080174 by manthasirisha on Monday 17th of July 2006 02:46:51 AM
Old 07-17-2006
Let us see what you've tried!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command line inputs validation

Hi, I have a script called read.sh that takes a file as input. Now I want to make that script take the file as input with a -f option preceding the filename. How can I do this validation. How can I find whether the given option is -f or not inside the script. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sendhilmani123
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

edit a line for getting inputs

Hello Everybody, I have a file with data like this 8z:1 15y:0 7x:0 12w:1 ... ... I would like read each line through a loop and will needing to get the input from each line like this For 8z:1; a=8,b=1 15y:0; a=15,b=0 7x:0; a=7,b=0 Please let me know of a way to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: leo.maveriick
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in sending inputs to format command using expect

Hi , I am not able figure out how to use expect tool to send input to this prompt of format Searching for disks...done selecting c0t3d0 FORMAT MENU: disk - select a disk type - select (define) a disk type partition - select (define) a partition... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line at a specific line number with some other line

my requirement is, consider a file output cat output blah sdjfhjkd jsdfhjksdh sdfs 23423 sdfsdf sdf"sdfsdf"sdfsdf"""""dsf hellow there this doesnt look good et cetc etc etcetera i want to replace a line of line number 4 ("this doesnt look good") with some other line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to send keyboard inputs toa UNIX command executed from a shell script?

I have a unix command that prompts for 'y'. How do I run this from my shell script? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sree10
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to refer more than 9 command line inputs for a scripts in korn shell?

Hi all, I have a script which should take more than 9 command line inputs while running. Likescript.sh a s d f g h j j k l o p i u y t r e w Now in the script if I have to access one of the input which is at position after 9, in this case say 'p' then how can I do that? echo $12 will not work... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat_pramod
15 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To find and display the middle line in a file using single line command.

Hi all, How can i display the middle line of a file using a single line command? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakme Pemmaiah
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe.

Sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe. Is it possible to replace a whole line piped from someother command into a file at paritcular line... here is some basic execution flow.. the line number is 412 lineNo=412 Now i have a line... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Script to accept Multi line inputs

Hi there, I'm trying to create a script that will accept multiple inputs by copying and pasting the strings from a notepad, hit Enter key and output the string to a text file.I'm thinking of using the read command however it will just simply get the first line. Apologies but got no idea how... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: norbie.lopez
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl command line option '-n','-p' and multiple files: can it know a file name of a printed line?

I am looking for help in processing of those options: '-n' or '-p' I understand what they do and how to use them. But, I would like to use them with more than one file (and without any shell-loop; loading the 'perl' once.) I did try it and -n works on 2 files. Question is: - is it possible to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
6 Replies