Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Forgot the privileged access password in ibm pseries615c3 Post 302080082 by muthulingaraja on Saturday 15th of July 2006 02:40:33 PM
Old 07-15-2006
Thanks

Hi RTM,
thanks.
i have reset the password as per ur idea.
I am new to use the ibm machines. i have set the first boot device as cdrom and second boot device as scsi hard disk. i want to install redhat enterprise linux using cdrom in the same ibm pseries 615c3 machine. machine is not booting from the cdrom. It directly boot using hard disk. the linux cd is botable. But i can't boot from the cdrom. can u give me some idea to install
Enterprise linux in this hardware. i read the manuals from ibm and redhat to install RHEL on pseries, but it wont work in my case.

Help me.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

forgot password red hat ?

Dear Forum savants, I have a problem that I am not sure how to overcome. Two years ago I had a friend build me computer with a linux os (red hat) for learning purposes. It happens to have an oracle server on it as well... Anyway , because of personal reasons, I lost complete interest in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxh461
5 Replies

2. HP-UX

forgot password

i forgot my password on a HP-UX 9.xx machine. is there a possible way of changing it without knowing the root passwd? I would do it with a boot disk and chroot but I dont have a boot disk available.... any ideas? thanks!! Paul Tittel (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paultittel
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I forgot my UNIX password!!

Hello, Is there a way to reset the "root" unix password, pretty much like you would do in linux by going into single user mode? :confused: :confused: Thank you in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr Big
5 Replies

4. Solaris

forgot password

hello friends, I am currently using solaris 10. I have lost the root password. Can you please give me a step by step procedure on how to set the password again. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsharath
11 Replies

5. Solaris

Non-root user access to privileged ports-Solaris 8

Please let me know how to setup a non-root user to be able to access a privileged port (<1024) on Solaris 8. I am currently running tomcat as "tomcat" user and I get the following error during to start up: SEVERE: Error initializing endpoint java.net.BindException: Permission denied<null>:443 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pingmeback
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Forgot root password

i am a new user of unix . i lost my SGI unix server root password Any body please help me,how get password? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasu.k82
2 Replies

7. AIX

Cannot login into AIX machine. Forgot Password!

Hi, I cannot login to an AIX machine. The login mechanism was that we had disabled remote "root" logins. We have only one user that can access over SSH and that is "userabc". Probably have forgotten the password or it has expired. Is there a way to recover or login. I have the password... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixromeo
2 Replies

8. Web Development

Forgot MYSQL password root

I have VPS openSUSE 12.2 I forgot MYSQL password root when i run in CMD: > mysql Error Message Show : >> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: CloudniX
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

I have forgot my root password. Solaris 10

hi everyone i have forgot my root password and i have other user to login. can i get the password without restarting the server as that cant be afforded. . it is a Sparc architecture 2U blade server. it is old server mounted and functional since 2009. what should be the modus oprandee. i am novice... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: janakors
5 Replies
KERNEL-INSTALL(8)						  kernel-install						 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)

NAME
kernel-install - Add and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot SYNOPSIS
kernel-install COMMAND KERNEL-VERSION [KERNEL-IMAGE] DESCRIPTION
kernel-install is used to install and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot. kernel-install will execute the files located in the directory /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/ and the local administration directory /etc/kernel/install.d/. All files are collectively sorted and executed in lexical order, regardless of the directory in which they live. However, files with identical filenames replace each other. Files in /etc/kernel/install.d/ take precedence over files with the same name in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/. This can be used to override a system-supplied executables with a local file if needed; a symbolic link in /etc/kernel/install.d/ with the same name as an executable in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/, pointing to /dev/null, disables the executable entirely. Executables must have the extension ".install"; other extensions are ignored. An executable should return 0 on success. It may also return 77 to cause the whole operation to terminate (executables later in lexical order will be skipped). COMMANDS
The following commands are understood: add KERNEL-VERSION KERNEL-IMAGE kernel-install creates the directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ and calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments add KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ KERNEL-IMAGE The kernel-install plugin 50-depmod.install runs depmod for the KERNEL-VERSION. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install copies KERNEL-IMAGE to /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/linux. It also creates a boot loader entry according to the boot loader specification in /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. The title of the entry is the PRETTY_NAME parameter specified in /etc/os-release or /usr/lib/os-release (if the former is missing), or "Linux KERNEL-VERSION", if unset. If the file initrd is found next to the linux file, the initrd will be added to the configuration. remove KERNEL-VERSION Calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments remove KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ kernel-install removes the entire directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ afterwards. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install removes the file /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. EXIT STATUS
If every executable returns 0 or 77, 0 is returned, and a non-zero failure code otherwise. FILES
/usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install Drop-in files which are executed by kernel-install. /etc/kernel/cmdline /proc/cmdline The content of the file /etc/kernel/cmdline specifies the kernel command line to use. If that file does not exist, /proc/cmdline is used. /etc/machine-id The content of the file specifies the machine identification MACHINE-ID. /etc/os-release /usr/lib/os-release The content of the file specifies the operating system title PRETTY_NAME. SEE ALSO
machine-id(5), os-release(5), Boot loader specification[1] NOTES
1. Boot loader specification https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec systemd 237 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)