Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cron job
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cron job Post 302079836 by pankajkrmishra on Thursday 13th of July 2006 07:46:29 AM
Old 07-13-2006
Hi

It has write permission .

Following is the .profile entry that I can locate:

Path /etc/.profile
# The profile that all logins get before using their own .profile.

trap "" 2 3
export LOGNAME PATH

if [ "$TERM" = "" ]
then
if /bin/i386
then
TERM=sun-color
else
TERM=sun
fi
export TERM
fi

# Login and -su shells get /etc/profile services.
# -rsh is given its environment in its .profile.

case "$0" in
-sh | -ksh | -jsh)

if [ ! -f .hushlogin ]
then
/usr/sbin/quota
# Allow the user to break the Message-Of-The-Day only.
trap "trap '' 2" 2
/bin/cat -s /etc/motd
trap "" 2

/bin/mail -E
case $? in
0)
echo "You have new mail."
;;
2)
echo "You have mail."
;;
esac
fi
esac

umask 022
trap 2 3

Now can u guide me how to proceed. I cannot understand ur .profile concept.

Regards
Pankaj

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job

Hi All , We have few scripts which uses common environment/path setting variables. Now instead of putting classpath , framework,java_home ..... etc. in all the script, can we make a file with all common settings which can be envoked by the scripts while running. If yes , say setting file is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajkrmishra
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron job

Regarding Cron job, i want to execute a scriptevery 4 days once irrespective of a week or a month. Is it possible?Any help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: santho
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CRON usage for CRON job

can anybody explain the usage of CRON for adding a cron job. please provide an example also for better understanding !!! Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cron job

I created a php script i want to run as a cronjob. Where or how can I locate the cronjob file to add my script ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dannyd
3 Replies

5. Solaris

cron job starts new cron proccess

I run cron in solaris 10 zone. One cron job which syncing files to nfs mounted on container, creates after finishing another cron proccess(/usr/sbin/cron), and after 100 existing cron proccesses next cron job will not start. It's too weird for me, I'm not able to solve this problem. Theoretically... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ron76
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cron job

Hello, Can anyone help me how to set any script as cron job. I have gone through all threads but not able to get the details. Appreciate your help. I need to set test.pl to run on every Tuesday by 6am in the morning. I do not the cron file which is defined. Please help me out. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jam_prasanna
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Cron job running even after cron is removed

Hi , I have removed a cron for particular user , but cron job seems to be running even after the cron entry is removed. The purpose of the cron was to sendmail to user ( it uses mailx utility ) I have restarted cron and sendmail service still user is getting mail alerts from the cron job. And... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commented cron job -- cron monitoring

Hi I have a requirement to write a shell script,that will check the all commented job in cron job.Please help !! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: netdbaind
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron Job

How to schedule a cron job to run every other Monday. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ITDev01
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job - Need to run Cron every quarter at particular time

Hi, 1) If some job supposed to run on 1st of every month at 7 AM In cron job when we have a blackout on the 1st ( i.e when 1st falls on a sunday ) how can we make the job run the next business day? 2) How can we run a job on 25th of every quarter 7 AM(jan,apr,jul,oct) And if 25th... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
5 Replies
profile(4)							   File Formats 							profile(4)

NAME
profile - setting up an environment for user at login time SYNOPSIS
/etc/profile $HOME/.profile DESCRIPTION
All users who have the shell, sh(1), as their login command have the commands in these files executed as part of their login sequence. /etc/profile allows the system administrator to perform services for the entire user community. Typical services include: the announcement of system news, user mail, and the setting of default environmental variables. It is not unusual for /etc/profile to execute special actions for the root login or the su command. The file $HOME/.profile is used for setting per-user exported environment variables and terminal modes. The following example is typical (except for the comments): # Make some environment variables global export MAIL PATH TERM # Set file creation mask umask 022 # Tell me when new mail comes in MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME # Add my /usr/usr/bin directory to the shell search sequence PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin # Set terminal type TERM=${L0:-u/n/k/n/o/w/n} # gnar.invalid while : do if [ -f ${TERMINFO:-/usr/share/lib/terminfo}/?/$TERM ] then break elif [ -f /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/$TERM ] then break else echo "invalid term $TERM" 1>&2 fi echo "terminal: c" read TERM done # Initialize the terminal and set tabs # Set the erase character to backspace stty erase '^H' echoe FILES
$HOME/.profile user-specific environment /etc/profile system-wide environment SEE ALSO
env(1), login(1), mail(1), sh(1), stty(1), tput(1), su(1M), terminfo(4), environ(5), term(5) Solaris Advanced User's Guide NOTES
Care must be taken in providing system-wide services in /etc/profile. Personal .profile files are better for serving all but the most global needs. SunOS 5.10 20 Dec 1992 profile(4)