Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem in ksh script ( String comparison ) Post 302079806 by amarnath on Thursday 13th of July 2006 04:27:26 AM
Old 07-13-2006
Problem in ksh script ( String comparison )

hi ,
i am trying to compre two strings

if [[ $var1 = $var2 ]] or if [[ "$var1" = "$var2" ]]

when the length of var1 is small (around 300-400 char ) it works fine

but when it is large (around 900-1000 chars) it fails

is there any limitations for this type of comparison ???

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Problem in ksh script ( String comparison )

hi , i am trying to compre two strings if ] or if ] when the length of var1 is small (around 300-400 char ) it works fine but when it is large (around 900-1000 chars) it fails is there any limitations for this type of comparison ??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amarnath
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in string comparison in shell programming

Hello, was just wondering how to compare strings in unix? I mean as in C there is a function strcmp() in string.h, is there any function in unix for that? I tried using if and all such variations but didn't succeed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance :) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: salman4u
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash shell script string comparison

I want to remove a line that has empty string at second field when I use cut with delimeter , like below $cat demo hello, mum hello, #!/bin/sh while read line do if then # remove the current line command goes here fi done < "demo" i got an error message for above... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bonosungho
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date comparison using ksh

Hi All, i have a text sample below. rootdbs 1 0 01/03/2010.03:11 physdbs 2 0 01/03/2010.03:17 logdbs01 3 0 01/03/2010.03:17 logdbs02 4 0 01/03/2010.03:17 dbs01 5 0 01/03/2010.03:17 dbs02 6 0 01/03/2010.03:17 dbs03 7 0 01/03/2010.03:17 dbs04 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: informix2009
4 Replies

5. Solaris

String Comparison in Shell script

I Have a script which gets the status of oracle database and if the status is READ WRITE ..it should echo "db is up " else "db is down" Here is the code if then echo "db up" else echo "db down" fi done; The script is giving me out put "db down" even thoug the value of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: njafri
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

String comparison problem

Hi, can someone please help me!!! urgent! I have a strange issue here. I grep for 2 strings from a txt files and compare the string value. Though the string values are the same, they are compared as different values. Please help Case-1 -------- Here I grep for 2 different field values... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vani123
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

integer comparison in ksh

Hi, I am just trying to compare integer in ksh. can you please tell me what's wrong with this code... or give me suggestions on alternative. sample code: i=0; if ; then echo inside if fi Thanks in advance! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nram_krishna@ya
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

to extract string from main string and string comparison

continuing from my previous post, whose link is given below as a reference https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/171076-shell-scripting.html#post302573569 consider there is create table commands in a file for eg: CREATE TABLE `Blahblahblah` ( `id` int(11) NOT NULL... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in string comparison

guys , i am using inotify for monitoring one directory to check core file generation , my snippet of code is follows #!/bin/bash DIR=$1 inotifywait -q -e create -m $DIR | while read path events name; do if ]; then echo "Now I am going to do something with $name in directory $path."... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: baker
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk string comparison unterminated quoted string andrule of thumb

I have the logic below to look up for matches within the columns between the two files with awk. In the if statement is where the string comparison is attempted with == The issue seems to be with the operands, as 1. when " '${SECTOR}' " -- double quote followed by single quote -- awk matches... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deadyetagain
1 Replies
ENV(3)							     Library Functions Manual							    ENV(3)

NAME
env - environment variables SYNOPSIS
bind #e /env /env/var1 /env/var2 ... DESCRIPTION
The env device serves a one-level directory containing files with arbitrary names and contents. The intention is that the file name is the name of an environment variable (see rc(1)), and the content is the variable's current value. When a fork(2) system call creates a new process, both the parent and the child continue to see exactly the same files in the env device: changes made in either process can be noticed by the other. In contrast, an rfork system call with the RFENVG bit set (see fork(2)) causes a split: initially both process groups see the same environment files, but any changes made in one process group cannot be noticed by the other. An rfork with RFCENVG splits and then clears the environment. SEE ALSO
rc(1), fork(2) SOURCE
/sys/src/9/port/devenv.c BUGS
A write starting at an offset after the current extent of a file yields an error instead of zero filling. ENV(3)