Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Open Source What is your favorite Linux distro? Post 302079234 by hitechredneck on Friday 7th of July 2006 02:40:47 PM
Old 07-07-2006
I love certain distros for certain uses.

Knoppix is awsome for recovering data and such on my clients Windoze boxes

SuSE ran great on my old laptop (Omnibook with a PIII in it) where as Mandrake ran better on my old Dell (PII).

FreeBSD (while it's not a Linux) WOULD be my favorite if I could get it to run on ANY laptop!!!! Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux distro

Hi I'm have old toshiba laptop(t1900) 486, 4mbRAM and ~120MB of hdd I'm looking for distro to suite my comp, no need for X windows but not enything that runs on FAT, just normal small Linux. Actually, *BSDs will do as well. If u know any distro that would do this I will be thankful for hint ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolk
4 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Post Your Favorite UNIX/Linux Related RSS Feed Links

Hello, I am planning to revise the RSS News subforum areas, here: News, Links, Events and Announcements - The UNIX Forums ... maybe with a subforum for each OS specific news, like HP-UX, Solaris, RedHat, OSX, etc. RSS subforums.... Please post your favorite OS specific RSS (RSS2) link... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New to linux. Which distro should i use?

want to know which Linux distro is 4 me. want 2 teach my self programing and problem solving. i want to learn code and write code. i have an acer aspire one 2GB memory 160 GB HDD intel Atom. look im as noobie as it gets im a MS xp, vista boy want to go beyond graphical click and do... any help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BizilStank
1 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

What's your favorite SSH client to connect to UNIX/Linux machines?

I am curious about the most popular ssh client on Windows environment. Talking about me, I use PuTTY most of the time coupled with WinSCP to transfer files. But, I like Tera Term too. It has great drag-drop feature where you can drag a file/folder and drop on the window and it will transfer the... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_xor
14 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

What's your all time favorite UNIX/Linux book?

I can bet everyone has their one favorite book even though we have had read many books on UNIX or Linux. My all time favorite is "Unix Power Tools". This book always made me geeky and I loved the little tricks/tips in the book. I still do! The next favorite would be "Prentice Hall Unix and Linux... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_xor
0 Replies

6. Linux

Best Linux Distro

Hello, I have a Compaq Presario v3000 5 year old laptop, with 1 GB RAM and currently running the (slow and stupid) Windows 7 32 bit, thus I would like to dual boot it with an appropriate distro of Linux that 1) Doesnt consume too much resources (1 GB RAM is not a lot of space) and it ll be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
4 Replies

7. Linux

Favorite Synchronizers for Win & Linux

I'm looking for a new file/directory synchronizer. I've been using unison because it works on both windows and linux. However, it often chokes on the very long directory paths and file names I encounter when backing up eclipse and eclipse workspace directories. I suppose one could argue that I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
2 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Video: What is Your Favorite Linux Distro? UNIX.com and Primis

Video: What is Your Favorite Linux Distro? UNIX.com and Primis https://youtu.be/doa9sA6q9Uw With so many great flavors of Linux to choose from, we asked our UNIX.com members what is their favorite Linux distro and why. Here are the results: What is your favorite Linux distro? ... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

What is Your Favorite Editor for Linux and UNIX? | A Video in 1080 HD

We have asked UNIX.com users over the years what is their favorite editor and why. Here is the top three answers. Here is a new YT video on this question: What Editor Does Everyone Use? https://youtu.be/gqE8RTZZt9g Of course, vi was the overwhelming favorite. Credits: 1080 HD... (3 Replies)
3 Replies
LM-PROFILER.CONF(8)					      System Manager's Manual					       LM-PROFILER.CONF(8)

NAME
/etc/laptop-mode/lm-profiler.conf - Configuration file for lm-profiler, a profiler for laptop-mode-tools. DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents the options that can be set in the /etc/laptop-mode/lm-profiler.conf configuration file. For a description of what lm-profiler does, see the lm-profiler(8) manpage. SETTINGS
The syntax of options is OPTION=value. The following settings are available in lm-profiler.conf: VERBOSE_OUTPUT Set this to 1 if you want to see a lot of output when you run lm-profiler, and 0 if you don't want this. Useful for debugging purposes. (Currently does nothing.) PROFILE_RUN_LENGTH The length of a profiling run, in seconds. This should be a while, so that lm-profiler can gather enough information. The default is 10 minutes (600 seconds). ACTIVITY_INTERVAL_MIN ACTIVITY_INTERVAL_MAX The behaviour that you want to avoid when you have your hard drive spun down, is disk accesses that are spread out over time, because your hard drive will have to spin up for each access. lm-profiler detects when applications perform disk accesses that are at least some time apart (otherwise they can be considered part of the same access) but not TOO far apart (otherwise they are no problem). These settings configure what lm-profiler considers "at least some time apart" and "too far apart", respectively, in seconds. RECOMMEND_DEFAULT_SERVICES DEFAULT_SERVICES If RECOMMEND_DEFAULT_SERVICES is set to 1 (enabled), then lm-profiler will always suggest turning off the services listed in DEFAULT_SERVICES (separated by spaces). IGNORE_PROGRAMS Programs listed in this option, separated by spaces, will be ignored for disk activity profiling. The default settings (which can be referenced as $DEF_IGNORE_PROGRAMS) include common utility programs and all programs used by lm-profiler itself. RECOMMEND_NETWORK_SERVICES When this option is enabled (value 1), lm-profiler will detect any services that are listening on network ports, and it will sug- gest that you disable them. IGNORE_NETWORK_SERVICES Services listed in this configuration option (separated by spaces) are not suggested as a network service by lm-profiler. The default values can be accessed as $DEF_IGNORE_NETWORK_SERVICES. SEE ALSO
lm-profiler(8). laptop_mode(8). laptop-mode.conf(8). AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Bart Samwel (bart@samwel.tk). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. LM-PROFILER.CONF(8)