Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help needed on Date command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help needed on Date command Post 302079220 by grumpf on Friday 7th of July 2006 11:51:12 AM
Old 07-07-2006
get your self gnu date if you do not have it already. it actualy makes a readable script.

date
Fr Jul 7 17:47:56 CEST 2006

date -d"1 month ago"
Mi Jun 7 17:48:21 CEST 2006

since i learned about this some year ago i drop all date hacks (do you know what you can do with $TZ ? Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed in date format

i need to grep date in the format year-month-day,,,,,,, actually i need to grep those dates other than current date.......... can anyone help me in this...........i need a format of date which would grep previous date except current date (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ali560045
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Needed in Date Condition !!

I am writing an shell script , which reads a file with contents Example :: (( This Format is yyyy-MM-DD)) 2008-05-16 2008-05-17 2008-05-18 2008-05-19 2008-05-20 2008-05-21 when i run the shell script it has to check the current date and compare it with the todays date and give me... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranga27
24 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help needed with date

How can i assign a variable by the name of CUTDATE= today date - 90 days? i have something like this right now :- today=`date '+%Y%m%d'` #cutdate = this is where i am having problem. i need today - 90 days How can i accomplish this? After that i need to do delete the data which are more... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris1234
16 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed-calculate previous date

Hi Friends, Need a command/script in unix which calculates previous date from current date. For ex: If current date= 01 Jan 2008, then output =31 Dec 2007 If current_date =01 Aug 2008 , then output= 31 July 2008 Please advice Regards, Suresh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshg_sampat
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to zip the files date wise --urgent Help needed

Hi all, this is my first post, i need to write a script to zip the files with datewise below are the log files. -rw------- 1 root sso 85316156 May 24 22:11 core_test_smservaz_104_104_1243217459_8896 -rw------- 1 root sso 90413304 May 25 22:12 core_test_smservaz_104_104_1243303895_20912... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lcschandu
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

date command option e Help needed please!!

Hi All, I was trying to get the date in format "Feb2" I tried option "e" giving me a padded space and getting the result as "Feb 2". Though its working fine for dates 10 to 31. Please suggest me how to get rid of this space before date. Thanks Olivia (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Olivia
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed with some date arithmetic

I have a file (main.lst) containing a list of dates in DDMMYYYY format. The dates will mostly be the same but it is possible to have multiple dates and these need not be in chronological order. I have another file containing another list of dates (holidays.lst). The task is to get the latest... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: elixir_sinari
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving assistance needed date to month

We have year folder say in a path /opt/informat/Archive a folder 2012. And in the same folder /opt/informat/Archive we have different folders month based, like 201210, 201211, 201212, this have data for each month, ie files. Now time to time i need to move the monthly folders to the main folder... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghavraok
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed with date compare

Hello, I have this unix script which selects rows from DB where current time is greater than expired time (column). So this will give all the records that are expired 1 day ago, 2 days ago, 3 days ago, etc.. I need help modifying in such that it should give records that are only expired 1 day... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Needed for creating the folder by checking today's date and, take backup using rsync command

How to create a shell script to create a folder by using the today's date to take backup using rsync command on every evening around 7 pm. Kindly help. Thanks. To be more precise, I want to create a script which matches the today's date with server's date format, if matches then creates the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakula10
2 Replies
sttime(3)                                                   ShapeTools Toolkit Library                                                   sttime(3)

NAME
stMktime, stWriteTime - date and time handling SYNOPSIS
#include <config.h> #include <sttk.h.h> time_tstMktime (char *string); char*stWriteTime (time_t date); DESCRIPTION
stMktime scans the given string and tries to read a date and time from it. It understands various formats of date strings. The following is a list of all valid formats, optional parts in brackets. [Tue] Jan 5[,] [19]93 This includes the standard asctime(3) format. Jan 5 With no year given, the year defaults to the current year. [19]93/01/05 This notation requires month and day represented by exactly two digits. 5.1.[19]93 This is the usual German notation. 5.1. German notation referencing the current year. A certain time, given together with the date must always have the following form. hours:minutes[:seconds] Each of the fields must be an integer value within the proper range (hours: 0-23, minutes and seconds: 0-59). Values below 10 may be written as one digit numbers. The time value may be placed anywhere in the date string: at the beginning, at the end, or somewhere in the middle. Any amount of white- space may be given between a field of the time value and the separating colon. The time is always considered to be local time. stWriteTime generates a time string similar to asctime(3) from its date argument. SEE ALSO
asctime(3) BUGS
Time Zone Names within the time string (like `MET') are not handled properly. In most cases they will cause a failure. sttk-1.7 Thu Jun 24 17:43:35 1993 sttime(3)