Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users redirecting the output of aspell Post 302079173 by leekb on Friday 7th of July 2006 08:48:31 AM
Old 07-07-2006
redirecting the output of aspell

Hi,

I have 2 identical servers both running aspell but for some reason I can't redirect the output to a file on one of them. This is what I'm trying to do:

echo feck | aspell -l > errors.txt

On one machine this works fine but the other it doesn't (the file is created but it is empty). However if I just type:

echo feck | aspell -l

it correctly displays the word feck as being misspelt. I've done an strace and the machine that works shows this at the end:

fstat64(1, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=0, ...}) = 0
mmap2(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0x40018000
munmap(0x4033c000, 4046848) = 0
munmap(0x40718000, 159744) = 0
munmap(0x4001b000, 12288) = 0
write(1, "feck\n", 5) = 5
_exit(0) = ?

the machine that doesn't works shows this:
mmap2(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0x40019000
munmap(0x4033b000, 4046848) = 0
munmap(0x40717000, 159744) = 0
_exit(0) = ?

If I leave off the >errors.txt is does this:
fstat64(1, {st_mode=S_IFCHR|0620, st_rdev=makedev(136, 1), ...}) = 0
mmap2(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0x40019000
write(1, "feck\n", 5feck
) = 5
munmap(0x4033b000, 4046848) = 0
munmap(0x40717000, 159744) = 0
_exit(0) = ?

Finally I've tried these:
$ echo feck >errors.out
works
$ echo feck | aspell -l | cat
fails

Can someone please help as I've now spent a day and a half on this?

Thanks,

Lee

P.S. Incase they're needed, here are the versions I'm using:

aspell -v
@(#) International Ispell Version 3.1.20 (but really Aspell .33.7 alpha)

cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Linux Advanced Server release 2.1AS (Pensacola)

Last edited by leekb; 07-07-2006 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: Providing version numbers

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirecting the startup output

Is there any way to redirect the output of the startup of a sun E250. Im basically trying to troubleshoot some init scripts and it would be useful to have a log of the startup output. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blakmk
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting OUTPUT

Hi, I want to move the output of a command/script to a file as well as to to be displayed on stdout. Can anybody help me in this. Thanks in advace .. -Chanakya M (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chanakya.m
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirecting 'find' output...

Hi all, why does one version of this command work but not the other? - This file already exists with 644 mod permissions - I am logged in as d269836, no su rights. - Box is 'SunOS' running bash I think; but runs ksh scripts OK. This one works: find /users/d269836 -type f -name "*.txt"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dan-e
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help redirecting output from mailbot

Hello...I'm having problems redirecting output from a script from a mailbot. It is a perl script that has the email sent to op_shipper piped into it. I am receiving the email with sendmail and here is what my alias looks like for the script am I having problems with in /etc/aliases: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kuliksco
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting output to file

Hi, Below is the whole string which is to be redirected to the new file. su - oracle -c "exp $user/$pass file=/oracle/oradata/backup/exp_trn_tables_`date +%d_%b_20%y_%H_%M_%S`.dmp log=/oracle/oradata/backup/exp_trn_tables_`date +%d_%b_20%y_%H_%M_%S`.log tables=table1,table2 statistics=none" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: milink
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirecting script output

Hello, I am interested in taking the output from a script i wrote and using it as input to a different script i wrote. So for example i want to take the output from program2 and use it as a parameter for program1. I didnt think i could use the >> symbols because i think that is just for .txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GmGeubt
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting output using if-then-else in awk

I am trying to filter records based on number of "|", delimiter in my application. If number of "|" is greater than 14 its a bad record, else its a good record. I have to redirect output to two different files based on the if-then-else evaluation in AWK. if number of “|” in file_0 > 14 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siteregsam
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting the output

For example, if we run the below command, symcfg list -thin -pool , results in an output most of the times and if the out is generated i'm able to redirect the output to a file. but sometimes it doesnt result any output and even though the output is being redirected, i can see "No Thin Pools "... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: web2moha
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting output to file

Hi, I have created script which redirect the output to file.I am able to get the output in file but not in the format. Output :Content of the log which have 10 -15 lines. Actal :Line1 ..Line 2Line3 Line4 Line 5 Expected:Line1 Line 2 Line3 Please... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthik771
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting output using if with awk

I have this line were I am selecting some fields from one file and creating a new file for the selected data. awk -F "\"*,\"*" '{print $1"," $2}' folderone/list.txt > folderone/qlist.txt This works, but then from this new file I want it to create a new file where it separates data: $2 >5 it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rluna
2 Replies
PREZIP-BIN(1)						 Aspell Abbreviated User's Manual					     PREZIP-BIN(1)

NAME
prezip-bin - prefix zip delta word list compressor/decompressor SYNOPSIS
prezip-bin [ -V | -d | -z ] DESCRIPTION
prezip-bin compresses/decompresses sorted word lists from standard input to standard output. Prezip-bin is similar to word-list-compress(1) but it allows a larger character set of {0x00...0x09, 0x0B, 0x0C, 0x0E...0xFF} and multi-words larger than 255 characters in length. It can also decompress word-list-compress(1) compatible files. COMMANDS
Prezip-bin accepts only one of these commands. -V Display prezip-bin version number to standard output. -d Read a compressed word list from standard input and decompress it to standard output. This can be a word-list-compress(1) or a prezip-bin compressed file. -z Read a binary word list from standard input and compress it to standard output. EXAMPLES
prezip-bin -d <wordlist.cwl >wordlist.txt Decompress file wordlist.cwl to text file wordlist.txt prezip-bin -z <wordlist.txt >wordlist.pz 2>errors.txt Compress wordlist.txt to binary file wordlist.pz and send any error messages to a text file named errors.txt LC_COLLATE=C sort -u <wordlist.txt | prezip-bin -z >wordlist.pz Sort a word list, then pipe it to prezip-bin to create a compressed binary wordlist.pz file. prezip-bin -d <words.pz | aspell create master ./words.rws Decompress a wordlist, then pipe it to aspell(1) to create a spelling list. Please check the aspell(1) info manual for proper usage and options. TIPS
Prezip-bin is best used with sorted word list type files. It is not a general purpose compression program since resulting files may actu- ally increase in size. Unlike word-list-compress(1) if your word list has leading or trailing blank spaces for formatting purposes, you should remove them first before you compress your list using prezip-bin -z , otherwise those spaces will be included in the compressed binary output. DIAGNOSTICS
Prezip-bin normally exits with a return code of 0. If it encounters an error, a message is sent to standard error output (stderr), and prezip-bin exits with a non-zero return value. Error messages are listed below: (display help/usage message) Unknown command given on the command line so prezip-bin displays a usage message to standard error output. unknown format The input file appears not to be an expected format, or may possibly be a more advanced format. The output file will be empty. corrupt input This is only for the decompression command -d. The input file appeared to be of a correct format, but something appears wrong now. There may be some valid data in output, but due to input corruption, the rest of the file can not be completed. unexpected EOF The input file appeared okay but ended sooner than expected, therefore the output file is not complete. SEE ALSO
aspell(1), aspell-import(1), run-with-aspell(1), word-list-compress(1) Aspell is fully documented in its Texinfo manual. See the `aspell' entry in info for more complete documentation. REPORTING BUGS
For help, see the Aspell homepage at <http://aspell.net>. Send bug reports/comments to the Aspell user list at the above address. AUTHOR
This info page was written by Jose Da Silva <digital@joescat.com>. prezip-bin-0.1.2 2005-09-30 PREZIP-BIN(1)