Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting SED for text file modification Post 302079171 by gfhgfnhhn on Friday 7th of July 2006 08:41:50 AM
Old 07-07-2006
everything is really very clear now,
thank you again matrixmadhan

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Text Modification and page I/O error

Hi!, while launching my C application on HP-UX 10.2 workstation, I get the following error message sometime: Pid 9951 killed due to text modification or page I/O error Could someone tell me what does this error means?? and how is this caused? Thanx in Advance, JP (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to insert new text and change existing text in a file using SED

Hi all, I need to insert new text and change existing text in a file. For that I used the below line in the command line and got the expected output. sed '$a\ hi... ' shell > shell1 But I face problem when using the same in script. It is throwing the error as, sed: command garbled:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamgeethuj
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

Pid X killed due to text modification or page I/O error

Hello everybody, I have a HP-UX B.11.11. I had one disk and added one new. When trying to configure the second disk Not Using the Logical Volume Manager(from SAM) I have this error: Pid X killed due to text modification or page I/O error I tryed to add another partion on the first disk,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: savus
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text string modification

My shell needs to take a 10 digit number and output it in the forum nnn-nnn-nnnn I considered using the fold command but that won't help too much. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: computethis
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sed to replace / in text file

Hi, I want to use sed to replace " /// " with "///" in a text file. However I am getting error messages when I use sed 's/ /// /////g' input.txt > output.txt. How do I go about doing this in sed? Input: 219518_s_at 0.000189 ELL3 / SERINC4 Output: 219518_s_at 0.000189 ELL3/SERINC4 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed and inserting text from another file

I need to insert text from one file into another file after specific term. I guess sed is the best method of doing this and I can insert a specified text string using this script but I am not sure how to modify it to insert text from another file: #!/bin/sh sed 's/\<VirtualHost... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrydocks
17 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

IP Address Modification through awk/sed

Hi, I have to modify the 2nd and 3rd octet of the IP address through awk/sed. For Example: Given IP is : 10.205.22.254, it should be modified as 10.105.100.254 through awk/sed. Kindly help me on this and let me know if you have any questions. Thanks in advances. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarbka
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify text file using sed

Hello all, I have some text files I need to do the following on: Delete banner page (lines 1-56) --I am doing this using sed Remove ^M --I am doing this using vi Remove trailer page --this can vary based on the contents of the file, it usually starts with *************************** I am... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with text modification and displaying

I have a file storing some text and another file storing some numbers I want to display characters other than the specified place of strings one.txt xyz abc 233 skfo 4r443 sfs abc abcd sd fsdf sdfd abc 11 abc 33 abc dsaf two.txt Nt_djd_k='5-6,7-9' Nt_hh_l='3-6,7-8' a=`grep... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulsk
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to remove text from file

Trying to use sed to, in-place, remove specific text from a file. Since there are / in the text I use | to escape that character. Thank you :). sed -i -e 's|xxxx://www.xxx.com/xx/xx/xxx/.*/|' /home/cmccabe/list sed: -e expression #1, char 51: unterminated `s' command (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
regex(3)						     Library Functions Manual							  regex(3)

Name
       re_comp, re_exec - regular expression handler

Syntax
       char *re_comp(s)
       char *s;

re_exec(s)
       char *s;

Description
       The  subroutine	compiles  a string into an internal form suitable for pattern matching.  The subroutine checks the argument string against
       the last string passed to

The subroutine returns 0 if the string s was compiled successfully; otherwise a string containing an  error  message  is  returned.  If	is
       passed 0 or a null string, it returns without changing the currently compiled regular expression.

The  subroutine returns 1 if the string s matches the last compiled regular expression, 0 if the string s failed to match the last compiled
       regular expression, and -1 if the compiled regular expression was invalid (indicating an internal error).

The strings passed to both and may have trailing or embedded newline characters; they are terminated by	nulls.	 The  regular  expressions
       recognized are described in the manual entry for given the above difference.

Diagnostics
       The subroutine returns -1 for an internal error.

The subroutine returns one of the following strings if an error occurs:

No previous regular expression
       Regular expression too long
       unmatched (
       missing ]
       too many () pairs
       unmatched )

See Also
       ed(1), ex(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1)

regex(3)