Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Counting Files and send an email Notification if it exceeds a limit Post 302079133 by matrixmadhan on Friday 7th of July 2006 05:03:48 AM
Old 07-07-2006
Quote:
file_length= rsh invuk "ssh poller "ls -ltr /var/spool/get | wc -l""

i doubt here,

where is the value that is returned is assigned to file_length,

something like,

Code:
file_length=`ssh abc_server /usr/bin/ls -l /tmp | /usr/bin/wc -l`

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alert When a Process Exceeds a CPU Utilization Limit...

Hi EveryOne We run CICS Sofware on our AIX Machine... When ever some Process or Transaction loops it Takes heavy process Usage.. Is there a way that i can Get a alert message or a Message Thrown on to screen when ever a process named "cicsas" uses more that 20%... fo CPU.. I was... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Log Size Exceeds Limit

Everytime I try to start Discreet Flame on my Octane2 machine it keeps giving me an error message "initial log size exceeds limit--aborting" Can anyone please help me how to fix this problem. Thanks. Octane2 IRIX64 Release 6.5 Flame 2007 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dewaraja
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Log Size Exceeds Limit

Everytime I try to start Discreet Flame on my Octane2 machine it keeps giving me an error message "initial log size exceeds limit--aborting" Can anyone please help me how to fix this problem. Thanks. Octane2 IRIX64 Release 6.5 Flame 2007 (0 Replies)
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log Size Exceeds Limit

Everytime I try to start Discreet Flame on my Octane2 machine it keeps giving me an error message "initial log size exceeds limit--aborting" Can anyone please help me how to fix this problem. Thanks. Octane2 IRIX64 Release 6.5 Flame 2007 (6 Replies)
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check space of directories and send email if it has reached threshold limit

Hi, I need help in writing unix script for checking space of some directories on the system and also send an email when it reaches the threshold limit. I have written the followng code; #!/bin/ksh ADMIN="me@somewhere.com" # set alert level 80% is default THRESHOLD=80 df | grep -E... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmathew99
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to send email after comparing the folder permissions to a certain permission & send email

Hello , I am trying to write a unix shell script to compare folder permission to say drwxr-x-wx and then send an email to my id in case the folders don't have the drwxr-x-wx permissions set for them . I have been trying to come up with a script for few days now , pls help me:( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nairshar
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read specific line of text from a Script and send email notification

Hi ! I am a newbie and never officially wrote a shell script before. The requirement for this script is : 1) Read a file called 'bpm.log' and identify if it has a specific text such as 'this is the text'. Its a static value and that is the only text we need to read. 2) If that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atechcorp
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

Script to send alert when process exceeds 90% cpu

I have an issue with one of the processes which is showing %cpu over 120% when i issue the top command. I am looking for a script that send me an email alert when it crosses the 90% thresholds. Appreciate your help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chkaiban
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove a file in shell script if its size exceeds limit?

How can i remove a file using shell script when its size exceeds 10MB. Given that file is located in different location to the shell script where it is running? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
4 Replies

10. Solaris

.profile[21]: ulimit: exceeds allowable limit

Hello All, I am having an issue with ellipse environment, Subscribing ellipse version /opt/mincom/ellipse/bs037__ora_cics_svr .profile: ulimit: exceeds allowable limit , prj -l ellsupp #ulimit -a time(seconds) unlimited file(blocks) unlimited data(kbytes) unlimited stack(kbytes) 8192... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: Revathi2089
22 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)