Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers is /. superfluous? why not just say / ? Post 302079046 by james hanley on Thursday 6th of July 2006 01:43:37 PM
Old 07-06-2006
you say in many contexts they're the same. But is there any case you can name where /. is not the same as / ? e.g. one works and the other doesn't?

note-
But regarding your use of the term 'current directory'
dot is a pointer to some directory not necessarily the current one. If you're in /home/blob/ and you do ls /. then the current directory is still /home/blob/
(pwd displays current directory, so that defines current directory) The / directory is just the one that ls is called on. I don't know of another term for the directory passed as an argument/parameter to a command. It's not (necessarily) the current/working directory. It could be any directory.

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: How to avoid warnings for superfluous values returned?

Hi all, a question for the Perl knowledgeable: I have use warnings; enabled. I use something like: ($sec,$min,$hour,$mday,$mon,$year,$wday,$yday,$isdst) = localtime(time); In the further code I only work with some of the returned variables, as the others I have no need for. Though the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zaxxon
1 Replies
inc::Module::Install::DSL(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			    inc::Module::Install::DSL(3pm)

NAME
inc::Module::Install::DSL - Domain Specific Language for Module::Install SYNOPSIS
use inc::Module::Install::DSL 0.80; all_from lib/ADAMK/Repository.pm requires File::Spec 3.29 requires File::pushd 1.00 requires File::Find::Rule 0.30 requires File::Find::Rule::VCS 1.05 requires File::Flat 0 requires File::Remove 1.42 requires IPC::Run3 0.034 requires Object::Tiny 1.06 requires Params::Util 0.35 requires CPAN::Version 5.5 test_requires Test::More 0.86 test_requires Test::Script 1.03 install_script adamk requires_external_bin svn DESCRIPTION
One of the primary design goals of Module::Install is to simplify the creation of Makefile.PL scripts. Part of this involves the gradual reduction of any and all superfluous characters, with the ultimate goal of requiring no non-critical information in the file. Module::Install::DSL is a simple Domain Specific Language based on the already-lightweight Module::Install command syntax. The DSL takes one command on each line, and then wraps the command (and its parameters) with the normal quotes and semi-colons etc to turn it into Perl code. SUPPORT
Bugs should be reported via the CPAN bug tracker at http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Module-Install <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Module-Install> For other issues contact the author. AUTHORS
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2008 - 2012 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-03-01 inc::Module::Install::DSL(3pm)