Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Find file on server, searching thru many folders Post 302079045 by Snakehead on Thursday 6th of July 2006 01:19:28 PM
Old 07-06-2006
What if I needed to direct my search at a server? Could I use the following?
Find server/ -name “name_of_file”

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

searching a file in a unix server

Please let me know which command and its format to use to search for a file. Windows provides a find option but i would like to know the equivalent in UNIX. for example i need to search for a file called uv.config and where exactly it is located in a unix server. TIA. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhmr7
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for SETUID and SETGID using PERL file find with lstat

About System and Perl: Sun Solaris 5.9 sparc, Perl 5.6.1 I've decided to use the perl file::find module to look for all the SETUID and SETGID files on my unix boxes. I wrote something like this: (I've shorted it a little to make it simple) #!/opt/perl/bin/perl use File::Find; find... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: x96riley3
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for folders which are over 5 hours old.

I want to create a script which will delete all folders which are over 5 hours old in HP-UX 11.11. I tried to use the "find" command but it didn't have an option for searching files/folder by hours. Could some one tell me how to achieve this in HP-UX with only using the standard OS commands and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
4 Replies

4. Web Development

server folders..

Hi, I've uploaded a test.html document in the folder "www" but I always receive the same error message: "It works!" instead of see the page. Should I change the apache root directory in the config file ? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aneuryzma
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find folders that do NOT contain a certain file

I'm no linux guru so any help would be greatly appreciated! I need to output all folders that do not contain a file of a certain extension. Currently I have the following find / ! -name '*.txt' -printf %h\\n This doesn't work because although it finds folders that do not contain *.txt,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hodnov
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for folders/parent folders not files.

Hello again, A little while back I got help with creating a command to search all directories and sub directories for files from daystart of day x. I'm wondering if there is a command that I've overlooked that may be able to search for / write folder names to an output file which ideally... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aussiemick
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a file with a specified text without using conventional file searching commands

without using conventional file searching commands like find etc, is it possible to locate a file if i just know that the file that i'm searching for contains a particular text like "Hello world" or something? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and delete files and folders which are n days older from one unix server to another unix server

Hi All, Let me know how can i find and delete files from one unix server to another unix server which are 'N' days older. Please note that I need to delete files on remote unix server.So, probably i will need to use sftp, but question is how can i identify files and folders which are 'N'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachinkl
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fetch the different data by searching with a same variable from a file in AIX server

Hi, I am trying to fetch the different values in an xml file by searching with the same variable in AIX Server. <name>SharedResources/Shared/JNDI/Username</name> <value>admin</value> <name>SharedResources/Shared/JNDI/Username</name> ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tejastrikez
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to move specific files from folders in find file

I have a directory /home/cmccabe/nfs/exportedReports that contains multiple folders in it. The find writes the name of each folder to out.txt. A new directory is then created in a new location /home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/API, named with the date. What I am trying to do, unsuccessfully at the moment,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies
YPWHICH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						YPWHICH(1)

NAME
ypwhich -- return hostname of YP server of map master SYNOPSIS
ypwhich [-d domain] [[-t] -m [mname] | host] ypwhich -x DESCRIPTION
The ypwhich utility tells which YP server supplies YP services to a client, or which is the master for a map. If invoked without arguments, it gives the YP server for the local machine. If host is specified, that machine is queried to find out which YP server it is using. The options are as follows: -d domain Specify a domain other than the default domain. -t Inhibit translation of map nicknames to their corresponding map names. -m [mname] Find the master YP server for the named map. No host may be specified with the -m option. The mname argument can be a map name or nickname. If mname is omitted, ypwhich will produce a list of available maps. -x Display the map nickname table. SEE ALSO
domainname(1), ypcat(1), ypmatch(1), yp(8), ypbind(8), yppoll(8), ypset(8) AUTHORS
Theo De Raadt BSD
February 23, 1994 BSD