Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Code page in Unix
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Code page in Unix Post 302079015 by braindrain on Thursday 6th of July 2006 10:44:27 AM
Old 07-06-2006
Code page in Unix

Hi,
Can someone tell me how do I find the list of comptabile codepages on Linux(suse) , Is it /usr/lib/locale or somewhere else ?

I was wandering if someone has expereince in using cycrillic chars (russian) in unix / linux ?

Thanks

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Skipping page by UNIX printer

I have HP UNIX 10.20 and whenever anything is printed on DFX 8000, it skips a page. How could I give an lp command so that a) the printer does not skip a page b) Even if it skips a page, the next time it should automatically use the blank page it has ejected. In this way, I can reduce the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: augustinep
3 Replies

2. Web Development

Login page in html on unix

I want to create a login page in HTML which is hosted on apache server. The login page first authenticate the user and then directed to a form which in turn run a script on the server. I want to make login page without php or jsp. Please advice. (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi18s
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting source code of a page

I want to download a particular page from the internet and get the source code of the page in html format. I want to parse the source code to find a specific parameters using grep command. could someone tell me the linux command to download a specific page and parse the source code of it. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahamed
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to write a UNIX man page

I realise that with GNU 'info' a lot of developers become, dare I say it, quite lazy when it comes to providing a well written man page - and some argue they're not needed at all. But I find, in the products that I develop, that man pages are used more often for quick reference, and therefore the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cambridge
1 Replies

5. AIX

Code Page IBM-860

Helo all, I' trying to print Portuguese special characters like ç, ã, º, º . I already set my print queue for CODE PAGE of printer ibm.860 but every time i send a print test i receive the following error: 0782-059 Attribute name passed to subroutine piocmdout by program... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marques_rmc
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between code page used with grep and vi

Not certain the title is phrased correctly but here's the issue: I need to scrape data out of a pdf file. I ftp the file from windows to unix(solaris 10) as a binary file. Open the file in vi and search for a string, Matrix, but no joy. Then I cat the same file, pipe it to grep 'Matrix' and the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rj0
3 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

New Responsive 404 Page for UNIX.com

Just created (actually, only modified... it was created by ShoutOut) a new responsive 404 "not found" page with the help of ShoutOut free templates. https://www.unix.com/status/404.html Same for 401 and 403 errors. Picture sans animation: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies

8. Linux

IBM Code Page 437...

Hi all... Reference this URL: https://www.unix.com/unix-for-beginners-questions-and-answers/282400-lower-ascii-characters.html#post303037272 Researching in google for an answer showed the numerous times this has been asked for in various guises. So it inspired me to create a pseudo-IBM... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
2 Replies
RE(1)							      General Commands Manual							     RE(1)

NAME
re - programm to conver russian texts between different encodings SYNOPSIS
re <infile><outfile><infrmt><outfrmt><f|b|s><u|l|s> DESCRIPTION
This manual page was written for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. re is a program that converts russian texts between encodings. OPTIONS
The easiest way to convert some file into readable form (KOI-8), just type this: re <SourceFile> <DestFile> ? K where : <SourceFile> - unreadable file <DestFile> - resulting file ? - tells RE that source codepage is unknown and RE should analyze the file and determine the source codepage K - tells RE that destination codepage is KOI-8 Note: If you know, what is source codepage, you may use it instead of "?" option. For example, you want to convert letter.txt file which was written in Win you know, that this file is in 1251 codepage: re letter.txt letter2.txt W K Now examine the letter2.txt - you should see russian symbols in KOI-8. Here is the know codepages list and their abbreviatures: W - Windows 1251 "_" - _xxe D - Dos "%" - %hex K - KOI-8 "\" - 'hex L - Latin G - Graph_win I - Iso "<" - <binhex> H - HEX + - +UTF7- S - ShiftKbrd C - C_MIC M - Mac Y - Y_c16 A - AFF Z - Z_c32 O - Odd(UTF8_1) F - F(UTF8_2) B - Base64 P - Pict E - Express N - N_Estl T - T-Html V - V_Vpp855 U - User X - X_sp "-" - uue J - J_diff Other options are: [-v][-E|-R|-N][-e|-s] -v - tells what is processing -n - don't tells what is processing (default) -E - converts all p,H from Russian to English -R - converts all p,H from English to Russian -N - lets all p,H Russian or English as in text (default) -e - converts all symbols 0x80 - 0xFF -s - converts only 64 symbols of Russian Alphabet (default) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Aigars Mahinovs <aigarius@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). March 21, 2000 RE(1)