Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cron job at system start up
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cron job at system start up Post 302078973 by grial on Thursday 6th of July 2006 03:26:10 AM
Old 07-06-2006
Helo.
As shereenmotor says, usually, startup scripts are located in /etc/rc2.d, but this depends on the UNIX/Linux you run and your system's default run level.
But I'm afraid it's not that easy. The script name must follow some rules:
- There are two kind of scripts, let's say: kill scripts and start scripts. Both stored in /etc/rcX.d.
- kill scripts are executed first, after that start scripts.
- kill scripts name must start with a "K".
- start sctipts name must start with a "S".
- Following the first letter, there must be a two digit number. This lets "rc" know the order for the execution of the sctrips. rc is the "master" script which calls the others. Have a look at your /etc/inittab.
- Finally, a name of your choice.

when "rc" calls this scripts it adds a parameter: start for "S" scripts and stop for "K" scripts. This allows you to use the same script for both operations, just using links.

Well, the UNIX boot process is a little bit more complicated, but for now that's enough.

In your case, you could create a scritp called TempFileDel (contuinuing with shreenmotor's example) which supports "start" and "stop" operations/parameters. For instance:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
case $1 in
start)
   echo Removing file...
   rm /tmp/somefile;;
stop)
   echo bye!;;
esac

and then:
Code:
ln -s /path/to/TempFileDel /etc/rc2.d/S10TempFileDel
ln -s /path/to/TempFileDel /etc/rc2.d/K10TempFileDel

Regards.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cron does not start the need job

Hi, can you please help me with one problem? There is some server, there are a lot of AIX applications which run on this server under different UserIDs. These applications starts via crontab. From time to time some application doesn't start. What can this "not-action" be dependent on? At... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anta
5 Replies

2. HP-UX

How to create a cron job and run in quality system

Hi Experts, I'm a SAP Basis, I have a small doubt would request you please help on this... 1. I wold like to copy files from one system to another system? as per my knowledge "we have to mount the prod filesystem on the quality box and do a copy every day thru crontab script, or do it via... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahantysk
2 Replies

3. Solaris

cron job starts new cron proccess

I run cron in solaris 10 zone. One cron job which syncing files to nfs mounted on container, creates after finishing another cron proccess(/usr/sbin/cron), and after 100 existing cron proccesses next cron job will not start. It's too weird for me, I'm not able to solve this problem. Theoretically... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ron76
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Cron Job -- auto start process when it dies

I would like to setup a Cron job to check weather X process is running or not. if it is not running then start that X process with a log message.... can any one help writing a script? thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandravadrevu
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Start a Job after finding the Old job completed

Hi Experts, I need a script advice to schedule 12 jobs ( SAS Codes execute back ground ). Algorithem: 1. Script checks first job. 2. Finds first job is done; invoke second job. 3. finds second job is done; invoke third job. .. Request you to please assist. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jerald Nathan
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

get system date, format it, pass it as a parameter to a perl script - all in cron job

I am trying to get the string containing date - in a specfic format actually, although I think that part is inconsequencial - 1110226^1110226^1110226^1110226^1110226 - through echo or printf or in some other way - created within a cront job and passed as a parameter to a perl script. Now, I know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: v8625
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setup a cron job and specified the start and end time

Hi guys, How can I specify the start and end time of a cron job. And my start time and end time are specified by minutes. For example, I want to set up a cron runs every 3 minutes from 18:40 to midnight. How can i do this please? Many thanks Best regards, Clu (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: clu
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Cron job running even after cron is removed

Hi , I have removed a cron for particular user , but cron job seems to be running even after the cron entry is removed. The purpose of the cron was to sendmail to user ( it uses mailx utility ) I have restarted cron and sendmail service still user is getting mail alerts from the cron job. And... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Autosys Job: Job did not start

I have submitted an autosys job and force start it. Autosys hit the job 4 times to restart but it did not start and finally I terminate the job. Any idea why the job did not start. Below is the code I executed. 1214 missun0ap /export/home/bzn97r/develop/dswi/jil$ sendevent -E FORCE_STARTJOB... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnrohit2k
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job - Need to run Cron every quarter at particular time

Hi, 1) If some job supposed to run on 1st of every month at 7 AM In cron job when we have a blackout on the 1st ( i.e when 1st falls on a sunday ) how can we make the job run the next business day? 2) How can we run a job on 25th of every quarter 7 AM(jan,apr,jul,oct) And if 25th... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
5 Replies
init.d(4)                                                                                                                                init.d(4)

NAME
init.d - initialization and termination scripts for changing init states SYNOPSIS
/etc/init.d /etc/init.d is a directory containing initialization and termination scripts for changing init states. These scripts are linked when appro- priate to files in the rc?.d directories, where `?' is a single character corresponding to the init state. See init(1M) for definitions of the states. The service management facility (see smf(5)) is the preferred mechanism for service initiation and termination. The init.d and rc?.d direc- tories are obsolete, and are provided for compatibility purposes only. Applications launched from these directories by svc.startd(1M) are incomplete services, and will not be restarted on failure. File names in rc?.d directories are of the form [SK]nn<init.d filename>, where S means start this job, K means kill this job, and nn is the relative sequence number for killing or starting the job. When entering a state (init S,0,2,3,etc.) the rc[S0-6] script executes those scripts in /etc/rc[S0-6].d that are prefixed with K followed by those scripts prefixed with S. When executing each script in one of the /etc/rc[S0-6] directories, the /sbin/rc[S0-6] script passes a single argument. It passes the argument 'stop' for scripts prefixed with K and the argument 'start' for scripts prefixed with S. There is no harm in applying the same sequence number to multiple scripts. In this case the order of execution is deterministic but unspecified. Guidelines for selecting sequence numbers are provided in README files located in the directory associated with that target state. For example, /etc/rc[S0-6].d/README. Absence of a README file indicates that there are currently no established guidelines. Do not put /etc/init.d in your $PATH. Having this directory in your $PATH can cause unexpected behavior. The programs in /etc/init.d are associated with init state changes and, under normal circumstances, are not intended to be invoked from a command line. Example 1: Example of /sbin/rc2. When changing to init state 2 (multi-user mode, network resources not exported), /sbin/rc2 is initiated by the svc.startd(1M) process. The following steps are performed by /sbin/rc2. 1. In the directory /etc/rc2.d are files used to stop processes that should not be running in state 2. The filenames are prefixed with K. Each K file in the directory is executed (by /sbin/rc2) in alphanumeric order when the system enters init state 2. See example below. 2. Also in the rc2.d directory are files used to start processes that should be running in state 2. As in Step 1, each S file is executed. Assume the file /etc/init.d/netdaemon is a script that will initiate networking daemons when given the argument 'start', and will terminate the daemons if given the argument 'stop'. It is linked to /etc/rc2.d/S68netdaemon, and to /etc/rc0.d/K67netdaemon. The file is executed by /etc/rc2.d/S68netdaemon start when init state 2 is entered and by /etc/rc0.d/K67netdaemon stop when shutting the system down. svcs(1), init(1M), svc.startd(1M), svccfg(1M), smf(5) Solaris now provides an expanded mechanism, which includes automated restart, for applications historically started via the init script mechanism. The Service Management Facility (introduced in smf(5)) is the preferred delivery mechanism for persistently running applica- tions. Existing init.d scripts will, however, continue to be executed according to the rules in this manual page. The details of execution in relation to managed services are available in svc.startd(1M). On earlier Solaris releases, a script named with a suffix of '.sh' would be sourced, allowing scripts to modify the environment of other scripts executed later. This behavior is no longer supported; for altering the environment in which services are run, see the setenv sub- command in svccfg(1M). /sbin/rc2 has references to the obsolescent rc.d directory. These references are for compatibility with old INSTALL scripts. New INSTALL scripts should use the init.d directory for related executables. The same is true for the shutdown.d directory. 17 Aug 2005 init.d(4)