Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting can I pass awk variable to system command? Post 302078844 by vish_indian on Wednesday 5th of July 2006 03:53:24 AM
Old 07-05-2006
You may want to try something like this. This code prints the filename from the directory specified on command line.

Quote:
#! /bin/sh

for i in $@; do
echo "`awk -f awkvar2 $i`"
done
You can replace echo command with your function. awkvar2 file is:

NR==1{
print FILENAME;
}
"NR==1" is required to make it print the filename just once. BEGIN can't be used for the same because as per man page FILENAME variable isn't assigned a value till BEGIN block execution. What you need can be done without awk. This is just to display how to return variables to shell from awk.

Hope this helps.........

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pass variable to awk

i would like to pass a variable to awk wherein the variable comes from external loop. i tried this... let x=0 until test $x -eq 32 do cat file | awk '{ print $1 , "Number" , $($x) }' >> output done thanks, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: inquirer
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass a variable to Awk ?

I am trying to pass 2 shell variable's ("START" and "END") define earlier in the script to this awk statement, but i can't seem to pass it on. PLs help. set START = xxxx set END = yyyy set selected_file = `awk '/$START/,/$END/' filename` (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
24 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I pass a variable to awk?

I have an awk statement where I Need to pass an environment variable but I cannot get it to work: My evironment varible examples below: $FILE1=/dev/fs/file.new $FILE2=/dev/fs/file.old Code below: awk -F"|" ' BEGIN { while( getline < "$FILE1" ) { arr=1 } } arr != 1 { print } '... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: eja
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to pass variable in NR function used in awk command?

Hi I want to pass variables with the NR function in awk command. test_file1 is input file having 500 records. var1=100. var2=200 awk -F" " 'NR >= $var1 && NR <= $var2' test_file1 > test_file2. My end result should be that test_file2 should have records from line number between... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nishithinfy
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass an awk variable to kill

Does anyone know of a way to do something similar to this with awk and kill? I want to create the variable in awk and pass that variable to kill. ps -ef | grep -i chromium | awk '{$2=x}' | kill -9 $x 2>/dev/null (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot pass rsh and awk command into a variable

Hello, I'm having some issues getting a home dir from a remote server passed to a variable. Here is what I have so far: rsh server "(ls -ld /home*/user | awk '{print \$9}')" /home3/userThat works fine and brings back what I need. But when I try to add it to a variable it goes all... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elcounto
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I pass arguments to system command in a awk script?

Hi I need your help, please How can I pass arguments to system command in a awk script?... for example: byte=substr(cadena,pos,2); system("grep -n byte mapeo.txt"); Does it exist a way? Thanks for advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris21
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to pass shell script variable to awk command in same shell script

I have a shell script (.sh) and I want to pass a parameter value to the awk command but I am getting exception, please assist. diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashunayak
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Pass variable to awk command search string

I must have forgot how to do this, but, I am attempting to enter a variable into an awk / gawk search pattern. I am getting a value from user input to place in a specific section of a 132 character string. my default command is .... gawk --re-interval '/^(.{3}P .{4}CYA.{8}1)/' ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdeevers
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need to pass variable in a command and assign value to a variable

Hello All, Hope you're doing well ! I am trying below command to be passed in a shell script, header_date_14 is a variable and $1 is the name of a file I intend to pass as a command line argument, however command line argument is not being accepted. header_date_14=$(m_dump... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
8 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)