Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: process vs task
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers process vs task Post 302078564 by hana on Sunday 2nd of July 2006 06:32:20 PM
Old 07-02-2006
Thanks

Thanks Hitori

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between task and process

Hi, what is the difference between a task and a process. what is the difference between multitasking , multiprogrammnig and multiprocessing? Thanks in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramyar
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

comment and Uncomment single task out of multiple task

I have a file contains TASK gsnmpproxy { CommandLine = $SMCHOME/bin/gsnmpProxy.exe } TASK gsnmpdbgui { CommandLine = $SMCHOME/bin/gsnmpdbgui.exe I would like to comment and than uncomment specific task eg TASK gsnmpproxy Pls suggest how to do in shell script (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhusmita
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse an XML task list to create each task.xml file

I have an task definition listing xml file that contains a list of tasks such as <TASKLIST <TASK definition="Completion date" id="Taskname1" Some other <CODE name="Code12" <Parameter pname="Dog" input="5.6" units="feet" etc /Parameter> <Parameter... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MissI
3 Replies

4. Programming

Help with task daemon

believe it or not but this is my first c program (i've worked with java, C#, php though) I am trying to make a daemon that checks if mplayer is running(it's for a projection room) and if it is not then to run mplayer with a file.. So far it's not working and I don't know why Help and comments... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: james2432
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Challenging task : script for mailing process completion timing report to users.

Hi all, This is my first post. I am new to unix scripting. My requirement is as follows : We are using a financial backoffice application. Now at the end of day we have send users a status report stating all timings of EOD processes for all countries. I need timings for following... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammbhhar
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

task

Hi all, I'm newbie and stuck here. Thanks for any help. Input(txt file) a b X c d Y e f Z g h W Requested output: a b X Y c d Y X e f Z W g h W Z Please use code tags when posting data and code samples! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: hernand
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Task

Hi experts, I have a problem with the below shell task: I need to modify the file creatin a paired row , per each row which matches filter (e.g. number of nonempty columns = 5) Output should look like this: second row is original one from the input, first row(red) is pairing row, it's... (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: hernand
29 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parallelize a task that have for

Dear all, I'm a newbie in programming and I would like to know if it is possible to parallelize the script: for l in {1..1000} do cut -f$l quase2 |tr "\n" "," |sed 's/$/\ /g' |sed '/^$/d' >a_$l.t done I tried: for l in {1..1000} do cut -f$l quase2 |tr "\n" "," |sed 's/$/\ /g' |sed... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: valente
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can Anyone help me..to do my task in simple way..

Hi... I am trying extract data using 2 files.. 1. Data file - DATA.TXT containing data to be extracted 2. Column file - LIST.TXT header column to be extracted output not coming properly.. if the header field name matches with data file header extract data...this actually I wanted ... ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nex_asp
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automate a task

Dear All, I am relatively new to UNIX and wanted to accomplish a simple task which should be automated. That's why I need your help. I shall briefly describe what I want. Basically, there is a process (X) (related to a particular software which I am using in my system) which automatically... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Samiran Dam
5 Replies
Net(3)							User Contributed Perl Documentation						    Net(3)

NAME
Gimp::Net - Communication module for the gimp-perl server. SYNOPSIS
use Gimp; DESCRIPTION
For Gimp::Net (and thus commandline and remote scripts) to work, you first have to install the "Perl-Server" extension somewhere where Gimp can find it (e.g in your .gimp/plug-ins/ directory). Usually this is done automatically while installing the Gimp extension. If you have a menu entry "<Xtns"/Perl-Server> then it is probably installed. The Perl-Server can either be started from the "<Xtns"> menu in Gimp, or automatically when a perl script can't find a running Perl-Server. When started from within The Gimp, the Perl-Server will create a unix domain socket to which local clients can connect. If an authorization password is given to the Perl-Server (by defining the environment variable "GIMP_HOST" before starting The Gimp), it will also listen on a tcp port (default 10009). Since the password is transmitted in cleartext, using the Perl-Server over tcp effectively lowers the security of your network to the level of telnet. Even worse: the current Gimp::Net-protocol can be used for denial of service attacks, i.e. crashing the Perl-Server. There also *might* be buffer-overflows (although I do care a lot for these). ENVIRONMENT
The environment variable "GIMP_HOST" specifies the default server to contact and/or the password to use. The syntax is [auth@][tcp/]host- name[:port] for tcp, [auth@]unix/local/socket/path for unix and spawn/ for a private gimp instance. Examples are: www.yahoo.com # just kidding ;) yahoo.com:11100 # non-standard port tcp/yahoo.com # make sure it uses tcp authorize@tcp/yahoo.com:123 # full-fledged specification unix/tmp/unx # use unix domain socket password@unix/tmp/test # additionally use a password authorize@ # specify authorization only spawn/ # use a private gimp instance spawn/nodata # pass --no-data switch spawn/gui # don't pass -n switch CALLBACKS
net() is called after we have succesfully connected to the server. Do your dirty work in this function, or see Gimp::Fu for a better solu- tion. FUNCTIONS
server_quit() sends the perl server a quit command. get_connection() return a connection id which uniquely identifies the current connection. set_connection(conn_id) set the connection to use on subsequent commands. "conn_id" is the connection id as returned by get_connection(). BUGS
(Ver 0.04) This module is much faster than it ought to be... Silly that I wondered wether I should implement it in perl or C, since perl is soo fast. AUTHOR
Marc Lehmann <pcg@goof.com> SEE ALSO
perl(1), Gimp. perl v5.8.0 2001-12-06 Net(3)