Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Changing prompt
Operating Systems Solaris Changing prompt Post 302078325 by kjbaumann on Thursday 29th of June 2006 01:05:14 PM
Old 06-29-2006
Sorry about that. I thought I did search..my bad.
Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing Unix Prompt

Me again, What is the difficulty to display the full directory Path before my prompt command ? (like DOS) I'm using Solaris 8 + Bash Thanks again Fabien (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclefab
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing the prompt

Phew simple question, I want to display the my directory path in prompt. Did the following in .profile PS1=`pwd` export PS! Worked, but it always points to HOME directory. When i do a cd, it doesn't change. What am i missing. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing Prompt in sh

I know no one has ever asked this before {not :D } but I am trying to set the prompt in the .profile under sh. I have tried everything I have seen on the web in regards to this, with no success. The OS is SCO Unixware 7.1.1, {not by my choice}. All the examples I see seem to be for ksh, which is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcc5169
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing text in the command prompt

Hi, I want to change my command prompt to contain the current username and the current directory in it, instead of just the '$' symbol. I tried the command:- export PS1="$(echo \\n$) " But whenever I switch the user or change the directory, the changes are not reflected in the command... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: unipepper
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in changing prompt

hi all, please tell me why this 2 liner script is not working!! #!/bin/bash oldps1="$PS1" PS1="myprompt>" but when type this in terminal it works!! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tprayush
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Changing the password prompt

Is there any way I can change the prompt which asks for the password on a UNIX system? e.g. When I login using Telnet instead of "Password" I should get "Correct Password". Thanks, Vineet (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vineetd
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the shell prompt

Hi, I want to change the shell prompt, using the cd command. I have a shell prompt like this - p78-mfx(dgaw1078/9781)$ Now i do this - p78-mfx(dgaw1078/9781)$ cd log4j here the shell prompt should change like this - p78-mfx(dgaw1078/9781)log4j$ (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumarmc
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing ubuntu prompt

Currently, when I cd to a directory I get the directory path in the command prompt, making it very long. I would like to change it so the path is not displayed. If I am in directory ~/tatsh/hstmy/test, I just want my prompt to be the last directory name as shown just below ---------- Post... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing default prompt

Hi, i was wondering if it is possible to change the default prompt for the shells that are availble on your system? For example, i want to change the prompt for the C shell from % to something like ( or ). Thanks, Nav. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Navs_
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the prompt in CSH

Need assistance in changing prompt . Trying to change prompt in csh,tcsh shell . Below are the commands i tried in .cshrc and sourcing this files. set prompt = "$user@`uname -n` : ${cwd}> " #above commands works for username and hostname but cwd doesnt change directories set... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
16 Replies
pam_get_user(3PAM)					       PAM Library Functions						pam_get_user(3PAM)

NAME
pam_get_user - PAM routine to retrieve user name SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag ... ] file ... -lpam [ library ... ] #include <security/pam_appl.h> int pam_get_user(pam_handle_t *pamh, char **user, const char *prompt); DESCRIPTION
The pam_get_user() function is used by PAM service modules to retrieve the current user name from the PAM handle. If the user name has not been set with pam_start() or pam_set_item(), the PAM conversation function will be used to prompt the user for the user name with the string "prompt". If prompt is NULL, then pam_get_item() is called and the value of PAM_USER_PROMPT is used for prompting. If the value of PAM_USER_PROMPT is NULL, the following default prompt is used: Please enter user name: After the user name is gathered by the conversation function, pam_set_item() is called to set the value of PAM_USER. By convention, appli- cations that need to prompt for a user name should call pam_set_item() and set the value of PAM_USER_PROMPT before calling pam_authenti- cate(). The service module's pam_sm_authenticate() function will then call pam_get_user() to prompt for the user name. Note that certain PAM service modules, such as a smart card module, may override the value of PAM_USER_PROMPT and pass in their own prompt. Applications that call pam_authenticate() multiple times should set the value of PAM_USER to NULL with pam_set_item() before calling pam_authenticate(), if they want the user to be prompted for a new user name each time. The value of user retrieved by pam_get_user() should not be modified or freed. The item will be released by pam_end(). RETURN VALUES
Upon success, pam_get_user() returns PAM_SUCCESS; otherwise it returns an error code. Refer to pam(3PAM) for information on error related return values. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for description of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability | Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe with exceptions | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
pam(3PAM), pam_authenticate(3PAM), pam_end(3PAM), pam_get_item(3PAM), pam_set_item(3PAM), pam_sm(3PAM), pam_sm_authenticate(3PAM), pam_start(3PAM), attributes(5) NOTES
The interfaces in libpam are MT-Safe only if each thread within the multithreaded application uses its own PAM handle. SunOS 5.11 13 Oct 1998 pam_get_user(3PAM)