Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: so many unices
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers so many unices Post 302077687 by System Shock on Saturday 24th of June 2006 10:02:48 PM
Old 06-24-2006
Blowtorch has it right. It is mostly about support for the OS/hardware.

There are other factors that would affect the decision to go for one or another, but whatever those are, not many businesses will decide to adopt an unsupported OS, mainly because:
a) cost of maintenance - It is much cheaper to contract outside support than have in-house developers, and
b) accountability/time to resolve - Debian may be a better distribution than Fedora (IMHO), but if you have an issue with Debian, you'd email Ian and Deb and maybe they'd respond... or not... while with Red Hat, you'd maybe have a 2hr response support contract and have someone work on your issue right away.

There are yet other situations, like it is the case of SPARC/Solaris, where you go with the hardware for your particular need, and take whatever OS comes with it. If you need uptimes of 1000 days+ in extreme conditions (i.e., high heat, dust) , you are not going with Dell/Windows, that's for sure.

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

Where to get old Unices?

Hi, I am very interested in old unices but I'm deperate, I don't know where to get these. I'm sure they aren't sold anymore. I'm looking for anyone of the real AT&T or SCO System Vs. Please tell me if you happen to know where to get them :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kotzkroete
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can I get original copy of Unices

BSD, AFAIK, Linux, etc are developed/based upon UNIX... but they are not UNIX... I'm wandering where can I obtain a original copy of UNIX(without flavor) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: laduch
1 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)