Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How do I get the nth character from a string? Post 302077433 by toughman on Thursday 22nd of June 2006 06:11:05 AM
Old 06-22-2006
How do I get the nth character from a string?

How to I get the nth character from a string in shell script. For instance, I have a string London. I want to get, say the first character (L) from the string. How do I do this in unix shell?

Thankx

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace nth character in a file with a period

Hi all, If you look at the example below,I want to replace the 21st character (,) with a period (.). I have 1000 records in a file can someone help me how to do that. Thankyou all in advance. "2008-07-15... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackhawk_123
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines with specific character at nth position in a file

I need to print lines with character S at nth position in a file...can someone pl help me with appropriate awk command for this (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manaswinig
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file from nth line to specific character

Hi, I want to read the file from nth line (where n is an integer) to until I encounter @ char. Can any one please help me how to do this? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laalesh
3 Replies

4. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Replace nth position character of all the lines in file

I want to replace 150th character of all the lines in a file using sed or awk... searched the forums but didn't find exact answer (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenworld123
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign a variable the nth character of a string.

I see a millioin ways to do this with echo, but what I wan to do is assign a variable the "nth" character of an incoming parameter to a ksh script. $1 will be "pia" I need to assign the first character to stmttype. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: klarue
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and recursively enter new line after Nth character

Hi All, My file is a string of around 50K character. I'm trying to insert new line after every 320 character in my file. I know the command to insert newline, but problem is I'm not able to search 320th position. Please advice. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit786
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find nth position of character in string

Hi guyz i want to know nth position of character in string. For ex. var="UK,TK,HK,IND,AUS" now if we see 1st occurance of , is at 3 position, 2nd at 6,..4th at 13 position. 1st position we can find through INDEX, but what about 2nd,3rd and 4th or may be upto nth position. ? In oracle we had... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jonty Immortal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to replace nth character with comma

I have a requirement as below. In one of my column, I have data which may or may not be separted with coma always. Now I need to validate the length of these text within the coma (if available) and if the length is more than 30 characters, I need to insert a coma either at 30 characters if its... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aramacha
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace nth to nth character?

Hi I got the following problem and I wonder if some could please help me out? I'd like to replace character 8 - 16 , 16 - 24 cat file ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stinkefisch
2 Replies

10. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

How to read the nth character from the line.?

I have Index Line and I tried to get the 9th character from the file and to check the character is "|" or not. Shell Scripting. Sample Index file. "91799489|K8E|188.004.A.917994892.1099R.c.01.pdf|2013|10/15/2014|002|B|C|C"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pavand
3 Replies
basename(1)						      General Commands Manual						       basename(1)

NAME
basename, dirname - extract portions of path names SYNOPSIS
string [suffix] [string] DESCRIPTION
deletes any prefix ending in and the suffix (if present in string) from string, and prints the result on the standard output. If string consists entirely of slash characters, string is set to a single slash character. If there are any trailing slash characters in string, they are removed. If the suffix operand is present but not identical to the characters remaining in string, but it is identical to a suf- fix of the characters remaining in string, the suffix is removed from string. is normally used inside command substitution marks within shell procedures. delivers all but the last level of the path name in string. If string does not contain a directory component, returns indicating the cur- rent working directory. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the interpretation of string and, in the case of basename, suffix as single and/or multi-byte characters. If is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty vari- able. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, and behave as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. EXAMPLES
The following shell script, invoked with the argument compiles the named file and moves the output to a file named in the current direc- tory: The following example sets the shell variable to RETURN VALUE
and return one of the following values: Successful completion. Incorrect number of command-line arguments. SEE ALSO
expr(1), sh(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
basename(1)