Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Debian No sound in FC3 on Intel D915GAVL Post 302077056 by Abhishek Ghose on Monday 19th of June 2006 05:41:02 AM
Old 06-19-2006
Thanks

Thanks cbkihong! I will see what I can do with your advice. I will post a solution here if I find anything worthwhile, within this week (I intend to upgrade to FC5 by next week anyway)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Does this sound right?

A user's default permissions when creating new files or directories is set by the umask of either the system or in the startup script of the user itself. For example, I have 'umask 022' in my .profile which means that my default permissions will be 755. Typically, the system default umask is 022,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wmosley2
1 Replies

2. Red Hat

FC3 / NVidia Issue

having problems with the NVidia Driver Package #6629 using Fedora Core 3... failure to initialize NVidia Kernel... ...this appears to be a pretty common problem and other faqs/forums have yet to find a solution... the xorg.conf.log states these errors... (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: HMSS013
10 Replies

3. Linux

winxp+ fc3= bsod

im sorry if this topics been repeated at many places on the net but i just couldnt find my answers . someone help me out fast! here is the situation in brief! 1. i have a 160 gb hdd. windows xp without service pack 1 does not have 48-bit LBA enabled and so it can recognize only 137 gb when it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: j0hn_galt
2 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Waking up windowsXP from FC3

In my home network I have a windows XP server and a Redhat FC3 Linux server. The linux server has ssh open to the internet. What I'd like to do is ssh into the FC3 machine and "wakeup" the windows XP box which is in standby mode. Anyone know a way to achieve this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dangral
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

This is going to sound dumb but...

how do i create scripts while in unix? Could someone tell me in the format of: commands script commands or something like that or even however you feel comfortable but could you try to explain it thoroughly. just want something where i can look at it and be able to put anything i want in there.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corrail
3 Replies

6. Linux

Copy entire disk in FC3

I'm running FC3 and I'd like to copy the entire /dev/hda to /dev/hdc, including all the boot info, so that I can boot off of it in case of failure. This will be a one time thing. I'm doing an app upgrade and I'm very afraid the install will go wrong, so I want to be able to quickly be back up in... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
11 Replies

7. Tips and Tutorials

Upgrading FC3 kernel 2.6.9-1.667 to 2.6.10 and compiling it

Upgrading FC3 kernel 2.6.9-1.667 to 2.6.10 and compiling it Upgrading FC3 kernel 2.6.9-1.667 to 2.6.10 and compiling it( almost same steps to upgrade to 2.6.11 and above ....note--> also check additional documentation) ############################################################# 1. First of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
0 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

Sound under OS 10.4.11 and 10.7.2

There is a change with UnIX version concerning these two platforms. I own a Power G4 Mac with OS 10.4.11 and a Mac Book Pro with Lion OS 10.7.2. There are some problems of compatibilities between the two UNIX versions. Under OS 10.4.11, these three UNIX commands work, in order to produce sounds,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shub22
4 Replies

9. Linux

No sound

I reformatted my hard drive and installed Mandriva 2011. It works fine. I can go to the Internet The problem is no sound. I want to listen to songs from YouTube. Sound doesn't come. I see a man is singing on the screen. No sound. I had no problem with my old Mandriva. Sound and everything... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Toxic
11 Replies
SPEAKER-TEST(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   SPEAKER-TEST(1)

NAME
speaker-test - command-line speaker test tone generator for ALSA SYNOPSIS
speaker-test [-options] DESCRIPTION
speaker-test generates a tone that can be used to test the speakers of a computer. speaker-test by default will test the default device. If you want to test another sound device you will have first to get a list of all of the sound cards in your system and the devices associated with those cards. Notice that there might be for example, one device for analog sound, one for digital sound and one for HDMI sound. To get the list of available cards and devices you can run aplay -L. $ aplay -L null Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture) default:CARD=ICH5 Intel ICH5, Intel ICH5 Default Audio Device front:CARD=ICH5,DEV=0 Intel ICH5, Intel ICH5 Front speakers surround40:CARD=ICH5,DEV=0 Intel ICH5, Intel ICH5 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers (...) in the above example, there are four devices listed: null, default, front and surround40. So, if you want to test the last device you can run speaker-test -Dsurround40:ICH5 -c 6. The -c option will indicate that the six audio channels in the device have to be tested. OPTIONS
-c | --channels NUM NUM channels in stream -D | --device NAME PCM device name NAME -f | --frequency FREQ sine wave of FREQ Hz --help Print usage help -b | --buffer TIME Use buffer size of TIME microseconds. When 0 is given, use the maximal buffer size. The default value is 0. -p | --period TIME Use period size of TIME microseconds. When 0 is given, the periods given by -P option is used. The default value is 0. -P | --nperiods PERIODS Use number of periods. The default value is 4. -r | --rate RATE stream of RATE Hz -t | --test pink|sine|wav -t pink means use pink noise (default). Pink noise is perceptually uniform noise -- that is, it sounds like every frequency at once. If you can hear any tone it may indi- cate resonances in your speaker system or room. -t sine means to use sine wave. -t wav means to play WAV files, either pre-defined files or given via -w option. You can pass the number from 1 to 3 as a backward compatibility. -l | --nloops COUNT Specifies the number of loops. Zero means to run infinitely. When -s option below with a valid channel is given, speaker-test will perform always a single-shot without looping. -s | --speaker CHANNEL Do a single-shot speaker test for the given channel. The channel number starts from 1. The channel number corresponds to left, right, rear-left, rear-right, center, LFE, side-left, side-right, and so on. For example, when 1 is passed, it tests the left channel only once rather than both channels with looping. -w | --wavfile Use the given WAV file for the playback instead of pre-defined WAV files. -W | --wavdir Specify the directory containing WAV files for playback. The default path is /usr/share/sounds/alsa. -m | --chmap Pass the channel map to override. If the playback in a specific channel order or channel positions is required, pass the channel position strings to this option. USAGE EXAMPLES
Produce stereo sound from one stereo jack: speaker-test -Dplug:front -c2 Produce 4 speaker sound from two stereo jacks: speaker-test -Dplug:surround40 -c4 Produce 5.1 speaker sound from three stereo jacks: speaker-test -Dplug:surround51 -c6 To send a nice low 75Hz tone to the Woofer and then exit without touching any other speakers: speaker-test -Dplug:surround51 -c6 -s1 -f75 To do a 2-speaker test using the spdif (coax or optical) output: speaker-test -Dplug:spdif -c2 Play in the order of front-right and front-left from the front PCM speaker-test -Dplug:front -c2 -mFR,FL SEE ALSO
aplay(1) AUTHOR
The speaker-test program was written by James Courtier-Dutton. Pink noise support was added by Nathan Hurst. Further extensions by Takashi Iwai. speaker-test April 2nd, 2011 SPEAKER-TEST(1)