Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Can Veritas DMP & EMC PowerPath coexist? Post 302076859 by aaron2k on Friday 16th of June 2006 07:02:34 AM
Old 06-16-2006
Can Veritas DMP & EMC PowerPath coexist?

We currently have a Solaris box connected to a Clariion storage system that is utilising DMP for path failover. I would prefer to use EMC's Powerpath and was wondering if the two can coexist?

Basically, I am struggling to find any documentation on the subject and was wonder if anyone can give me some pointers.

Many Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Need some E-Labs for solaris 10 & veritas volume manager

Hello friends, I need to test some of the solaris 10 concepts and veritas volume manager.i want to know ,where i get the testing labs or E-labs(online) for this practice.i ready to pay for this labs.pls kindly help me to get the details or website names...Thanks in Advance -Jay (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rjay.com
6 Replies

2. AIX

AIX 5.3 & Veritas Backup with Tape Library

hello, I am facing this problem when trying to prepare AIX 5.3 for Veritas Backup: Veritas Software is not able to communicate properly with our tape library When we tried to run these commands here's the output # cfgmgr -l fscsi0 # cfgmgr -l fscsi2 # cfgmgr -l fscsi1 cfgmgr:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
3 Replies

3. Red Hat

Configure EMC Powerpath?

Hi , I have a redhat 5.3 server which has 2 vg.. one is rootvg in local harddisk and another one is applicationvg in SAN.. When I reboot the server , EMC powerpath driver is not starting up automatically. Hence applicationvg is not mounting properly. Therefore I need to unmount it manually and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Makri
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Configure Veritas DMP

I am looking forward to configure Veritas DMP on Solaris-10. All pointers appreciated. Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: menonk
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 10 with Veritas and PowerPath

Hello, I have an issue with veritas volume manager version 5.0 in combination with EMC powerpath version 5.2.0 running on Solaris10(Sparc). This server is fiber connected to a EMC Clariion CX3-40 SAN. This is the situation : Server is a SUN Enterprise M5000 OS = Solaris10 Sparc Veritas... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chipke2005
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Veritas VxVM & Vxfs to SVM and UFS

Hi, I have 2 hosts with Veritas VxVM and VxFS (5.0 MP3_RP2). I need to use the application filesystem's luns from these 2 hosts and mount it on another 2 hosts that are running Solaris 9 09/05 and SVM. Is there resources online or has someone tried this? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: xor
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Veritas VxVM & Vxfs to SVM and UFS

Hi, I have 2 hosts with Veritas VxVM and VxFS (5.0 MP3_RP2). I need to use the application filesystem's luns from these 2 hosts and mount it on another 2 hosts that are running Solaris 9 09/05 and SVM. Is there resources online or has someone tried this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: xor
4 Replies

8. Linux

EMC, PowerPath and issue on using LUN

Hello guys, I'm going crazy over here with a problem with a LUN created on a EMC CX3. I did sucessfully managed to create the LUN on the Storage (the LUN is named DBLNX25EC_TST), after doing the following process: echo "1" > /sys/class/fc_host/host<n>/issue_lip and echo "- - -" >... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zarnick
10 Replies

9. Solaris

One emc powerpath failed

It seems like I lost one path on my Solaris-11 box. But I want to make sure before going to Storage team, if issue is from OS side or Storage side. Storage team is able to see that only one wwwn is looged in their switch. I am not at server's physical location. What does below output says ? I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Emc powerpath device & zfs query

Hi, We're trying out a SAN migration from HP EVA to EMC VMAX, and run into a bit of an issue with powerpath and zfs. The method we're currently using to migrate is to export the HP EVA luns from our sun server, replicate using SAN based method, and then present the new luns to our Sun server... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: badoshi
7 Replies
vxdmp(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual						  vxdmp(7)

NAME
vxdmp - Veritas Volume Manager multipathing disk devices DESCRIPTION
Multipathed disk devices in Veritas Volume Manager (VxVM) represent virtual devices with one or more physical access paths to a physical disk. The Multipathing feature provides disk access reliability by dynamically switching to another physical path if there is a path fail- ure. Every disk that is visible to VxVM is represented by a multipath device node in the /dev/vx/dmp and /dev/vx/rdmp directories for block type and character type interfaces. A simple disk is represented by a multipath device having one physical path, whereas a disk that is part of a multiported disk array is represented by a multipath device with many device access paths depending upon the type of the disk array. VxVM uses standard disk device naming conventions to name multipath devices. For example, if there is a disk device with two physical access paths such as c1t0d0 and c2t0d0, the multipathing device node for this particular disk is created under /dev/vx/dmp and /dev/vx/rdmp as c1t0d0 or c2t0d0. To provide multipathing, VxVM maintains an internal database of all the multipathed devices detected by the system and their respective paths. The database is created at system boot time. When disks are added or removed from the system, VxVM provides support to reconfigure the multipath device database to reflect new states of the hardware, while the system is online. To reconfigure the DMP database, run ioscan followed by insf, and then invoke vxdctl enable (see vxdctl(1M)). The various access paths to a multipathed device can be seen by using a vxdisk command (see vxdisk(1M)). These commands open the multi- pathing configuration device /dev/vx/dmpconfig to obtain the required information about the various paths to a multipathed device and their states. VxVM also provides the facility to enable or disable a disk controller. This feature can be used to stop all I/Os through a particular con- troller to perform maintenance operations on it. Use the vxdmpadm command to do this and also perform other operations on the multipath device database. VxVM can provide notification about events that occur in the DMP database due to a change in hardware. See the vxnotify(1M) man page for more information. VxVM is capable of multipathing both Active/Active and Active/Passive disk arrays. FILES
/dev/vx/dmp Multipathing block devices. /dev/vx/rdmp Multipathing character devices. SEE ALSO
ioctl(2), vxdctl(1M), vxdisk(1M), vxdmpadm(1M), vxnotify(1M) VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vxdmp(7)