Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX executing shell script from the cron Post 302076784 by steweston on Thursday 15th of June 2006 02:41:11 PM
Old 06-15-2006
sourcing a file

NORM,

. file
is known as sourcing a file.

It will pull any env settings, or variables set within the file into the current shell.

[ Normal behaviour is for a child process to inherit from a parent, not the other way around, which is why you lost your settings previously]

steve

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shell script is not executing

Hi, I am trying to execute the below shell script: script name(ss1). ss1 was given permission - 744 before executing. name: ss1 #ss1 #usage:ss1 ls who pwd :wq I tried to execute $ss1 (Enter) Its not executing.... It says that ss1 is not found: echo $SHELL. The o/put i got is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Executing a Shell Script

I am trying to run a shell script using the ./<ScriptName> command, but the server returns an error bash: ./Script1.sh: Permission denied What variable do I need to set to avoid this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: igandu
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

executing script by cron doesnt give me expected result

Hi frnds... I m facing very irritating problem already waisted my 2 days.. I have a following script..( i am pasting only the main code) ftp -ivn 213.194.40.77 <<FTP user $user $password binary cd $FileDir/out lcd $localpath get $file rename $FileDir/out/$file $FileDir/tmp/$file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: clx
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with executing a shell script through the cron

Hi, I have a shell script as below: ORACLE_HOME=/usr/local/opt/oracle/product/dev export ORACLE_HOME PATH=$PATH:$ORACLE_HOME/bin:/usr/bin export PATH OUTFILE=/export/home/`basename $0`.out export OUTFILE export IDEN df -k . | tail -1 | read a b c d e f echo $a >> $OUTFILE echo $b... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhinav Pandey
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing a script from CRON behaves differently than terminal

Hi have a script which transferers from Microsoft server to Linux box. The scripts(ksh) is on Linux box. If I run script from terminal, it transfers files to directory. Where as If I run script from CRON. It does not. Here is the log of both: Terminal execution log:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipeshvshah
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron shell script not executing diskutil command

I'm trying to learn how to use cron for repetative tasks. I have an external disk that needs to be unmounted and remounted every hour due to some problems that a backup utility (specifically, TimeMachine) is having repeatedly accessing the device. I've created a shell script that will find the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: illuminate
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script not executing using cron

Hi, I created a script which connects to database and update a table. This script is running fine when i run it manually but when i am trying to execute it scheduling in crontab.script is executing but Data is not getting updated. below is my script sqlplus test/##### >> test_feed.log <<!... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sv0081493
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

"if" Loop not working when executing script using cron

I am facing this weird issue where the script is working fine from the command line but when I am executing it from cron though it is working fine but the "if" loop is processing else part though I know that the if part of the logic is true and ideally the loop should execute the if portion. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sk2code
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect script not executing via cron

Hello All, I'm having an issue getting an expect script to run as a cron job. The script executes fin if I run it from the command line but I get nothing when trying to run it as a cron job. I've researched other forums and threads and there have been references to the environment, or lack... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: KingT617
16 Replies

10. AIX

Script is not executing as expected when I schedule it in cron

Hi, I have a shell script which fetches the MRP status and the LAG status. When I execute it manually like, sh <script_name>, it fetches the output as expected, but when I schedule through crontab, it's not working as expected. Any help would be really appreciated. Here is the code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagaraj R
3 Replies
tcp-env(1)                                                    General Commands Manual                                                   tcp-env(1)

NAME
tcp-env - set up TCP-related environment variables SYNOPSIS
tcp-env [ -rR ] [ -ttimeout ] program [ arg ... ] DESCRIPTION
The input for tcp-env must be a TCP connection. tcp-env finds out information about that connection, puts the information into several environment variables as described in tcp-environ(5), and runs program with the given arguments. Usually tcp-env is run from inetd. It might instead be run from another server that already sets up the right environment variables; if PROTO is set to TCP when tcp-env is invoked, tcp-env assumes that all the other variables are set up properly, and it does not check whether the input is a TCP connection. OPTIONS
-r (Default.) Attempt to obtain TCPREMOTEINFO from the remote host. -R Do not attempt to obtain TCPREMOTEINFO from the remote host. -ttimeout Give up on the TCPREMOTEINFO connection attempt after timeout seconds. Default: 30. SEE ALSO
tcp-environ(5), inetd(8) tcp-env(1)