Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shell basics
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell basics Post 302076731 by grumpf on Thursday 15th of June 2006 10:07:50 AM
Old 06-15-2006
$(( )) is added later and is used for mathematics foo=$(( 1+1+1+1+1 ))

[ $foo -eq 0 ] is calling test with arguments $foo -eq 0

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basics of shell scripting

Anybody please tell me basics of shell scripts (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvind.elle
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk basics

what is wrong with the code below; it starts ,then does nothing, (even it doesn't end) #!/bin/awk x=1 b="foo" awk printf("%s got a %d on the last test\n","Jim",83) myout=("%s-%d",b,x) print myout (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installation basics

hello, Im new to this Os. so, can i get any information'bout installation basics of unix. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Abhijit Bhatt
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SHELL Scripting Basics

Hi, I am new to shell scripting, i have experience in solaris, can anyone share me the link and experience to learn shell scripting from basics Thanks RJS (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajasekg
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

LEARN SHELL SCRIPTING BASICS

I am beginner to the SHELL SCRIPT and want to Learn SHELL SCRIPT Basics. This thread should help to all beginners who want to learn SHELL SCRIPT *** Thanks in advance to those who will contribute on this thread *** Please guide me and all beginners... 1. Is there any good e-book... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagarsbhandare
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help me with basics

hello everyone i have to start with unix as it is a part of my training programme and i have to do a self study, i dont know where to start from. i need some basic questions to be answerd like why we use unix ? what is a terminal? what is an editor? why we write commands inside terminal? these... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aryancool
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Basics

Hello, 1) I am trying to get involved in UNIX for educational purposes so I have installed the latest Ubuntu edition 12.04. Do you know another package that I could use it instead for educational purposes? 2)What is the difference between "~$" and "/$" (it comes with cd / and cd ~) .The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Iwn
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Basics about shell and editors and default settings

Hi all, I have 3-4 years of experience working on unix environment. I am not a beginner, but unix is not my primary skill set. I am very good at awk programming and doing many of my tasks very well, really very weak on basics. I moved to a new job recently and the settings there are driving me... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysvsr1
5 Replies
PRINT(3)								 1								  PRINT(3)

print - Output a string

SYNOPSIS
int print (string $arg) DESCRIPTION
Outputs $arg. print is not actually a real function (it is a language construct) so you are not required to use parentheses with its argument list. PARAMETERS
o $arg - The input data. RETURN VALUES
Returns 1, always. EXAMPLES
Example #1 print examples <?php print("Hello World"); print "print() also works without parentheses."; print "This spans multiple lines. The newlines will be output as well"; print "This spans multiple lines. The newlines will be output as well."; print "escaping characters is done "Like this"."; // You can use variables inside a print statement $foo = "foobar"; $bar = "barbaz"; print "foo is $foo"; // foo is foobar // You can also use arrays $bar = array("value" => "foo"); print "this is {$bar['value']} !"; // this is foo ! // Using single quotes will print the variable name, not the value print 'foo is $foo'; // foo is $foo // If you are not using any other characters, you can just print variables print $foo; // foobar print <<<END This uses the "here document" syntax to output multiple lines with $variable interpolation. Note that the here document terminator must appear on a line with just a semicolon no extra whitespace! END; ?> NOTES
Note Because this is a language construct and not a function, it cannot be called using variable functions. SEE ALSO
echo(3), printf(3), flush(3), Heredoc syntax. PHP Documentation Group PRINT(3)