Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Modify script to generate a log file Post 302076587 by thestevew on Wednesday 14th of June 2006 10:40:26 AM
Old 06-14-2006
It will work, but not quite how you would expect.

Assume that the script is called script.sh
Quote:
[ ! -f "$0.log" ] && > $0.log
Will create an empty file called script.sh.log in the current working directory as $0 is replaced by the script's file name.

Quote:
function log
{
echo "$@" >> "$0.log"
}
Will write whatever is passed to it in the file log.log in the current directory as $0 is replaced by the function name.

You could add a global variable to hold the log file name
Code:
function log
{
  echo "$@" >> "$0.log"
}
LOGFILE=$0.log
log "something"

or pass the filename to the function
Code:
function log
{
  typeset logfile=$1
  shift
  echo "$@" >> $logfile
}
log "$0" "something"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to modify the contents of file using script

Hi, Can anyone pls let me know how can i modify the file contents thru script. Eg. I have file abc.dat that contains below lines Merge.resync.cycleFlag Merge.resync.logFlag Merge.resync.maxByteRate Merge.resync.maxSearch Merge.resync.rate Merge.resync.tickLog ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : how to modify a file without generate a temporary file

Hi All, I have a file like below, how can i insert one line after line 1 without using a temporary file in perl? line 1 line 2 line 3 expected result line 1 new line <---insert here line 2 line 3 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: summer_cherry
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate script perl mail log not work

Dear unix forum members, I'm working on a script that will parse a mail machine's logs and print a list of email addresses in this format: authen@domain.com | sender@domain | recipient@domain exam account1@domain1.com | sender2@domain2.com |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: puka
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitor log file for a Error and generate the e-mail.

This is my log file and this is live log. Any abnormal error other than following I need to generate the email. Log path : /DER/app/admin/ABC/bdump/erg.log Current log# 2 seq# 103046 mem# 0: /ora2/oradata/ABC/redo02a.log Current log# 2 seq# 103046 mem# 1:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hishanms
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to monitor log file for a Error and generate the e-mail ( Please help)

This is my log file and this is live log. Any abnormal error other than following I need to generate the email. Log path : /DER/app/admin/ABC/bdump/erg.log Current log# 2 seq# 103046 mem# 0: /ora2/oradata/ABC/redo02a.log Current log# 2 seq# 103046 mem# 1:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hishanms
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify the file by script

Hi All, I have an input file like below, 6984 1225 6989 1220 6994 1214 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

modify the test file by any script

Hi All the Helpers! I have a text file which looks like input.txt.I would request to please suggest me how can I make this file look like output.txt input.txt VOP 111 0 1 2 DEM 111 0 222 333 444 555 DEM 879 888 987 888 989 DEM 879 888 987 888 989 VOP 118 0 12 3 6... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to tail -f logfile. if log file is generate every 1 HR.?

Hello, How to tail -f logfile. if log file is gennerate every 1 HR. I want it works automatically all the time. never changes it by manual. Thank ls -trl CybertonTransaction.* -rw-r--r-- 1 autobot robot 617071 Jul 9 00:02 CybertonTransaction.20130709-00.log -rw-r--r-- 1 autobot ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need script to generate file.

Hi I have a file "test" with data as below 1,APRIL,NEW,"New market,delhi,pune,India",RECENT, 254664 2,MARCH,OLD,"New Area,Mumbai,UP,India",CURRENT, 152483 So I want a script which provides output as below 1,APRIL,RECENT,254664 2,MARCH,CURRENT,152483 I am aware we can use awk/sed... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sv0081493
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i make my cron/script to generate a log filename with timestamp in it ?

Hello Friends, I would like my script to display date timestamps in the file name for every script execution. Below is the scenario: (just for testing purpose) I scheduled a cron job, lets say it runs every 5 min and record/logs output in to a log file. 0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 *... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
5 Replies
DOVEADM-LOG(1)							      Dovecot							    DOVEADM-LOG(1)

NAME
doveadm-log - Locate, test or reopen Dovecot's log files SYNOPSIS
doveadm [-Dv] log errors [-s min_timestamp] doveadm [-Dv] log find [directory] doveadm [-Dv] log reopen doveadm [-Dv] log test DESCRIPTION
The doveadm log commands are used to locate and reopen the log files of dovecot(1). It's also possible to test the configured targets of the *log_path settings. OPTIONS
Global doveadm(1) options: -D Enables verbosity and debug messages. -v Enables verbosity, including progress counter. COMMANDS
log errors doveadm log errors [-s min_timestamp] The log errors command is used to show the last - up to 1,000 - errors and warnings. If no output is generated, no errors have occurred since the last start. -s min_timestamp An integer value, representing seconds since the epoch - also known as Unix timestamp. When a min_timestamp was given, doveadm(1) will only show errors occurred since that point in time. log find doveadm log find [directory] The log find command is used to show the location of the log files, to which dovecot(1) sends its log messages. If dovecot(1) logs its messages through syslogd(8) and doveadm(1) could not find any log files, you can specify the directory where your syslogd writes its log files. log reopen doveadm log reopen This command causes doveadm to reopen all log files, configured in the log_path, info_log_path and debug_log_path settings. These settings are configured in /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-logging.conf. This is for example useful after manually rotating the log files. log test doveadm log test This command causes doveadm to write the message "This is Dovecot's priority log (timestamp)" to the configured log files. The used prior- ities are: debug, info, warning, error and fatal. EXAMPLE
This example shows how to locate the log files used by dovecot(1). doveadm log find Looking for log files from /var/log Debug: /var/log/dovecot.debug Info: /var/log/mail.log Warning: /var/log/mail.log Error: /var/log/mail.log Fatal: /var/log/mail.log REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs, including doveconf -n output, to the Dovecot Mailing List <dovecot@dovecot.org>. Information about reporting bugs is avail- able at: http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html SEE ALSO
doveadm(1) Dovecot v2.2 2013-11-24 DOVEADM-LOG(1)