Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Random parameters passing in FTP script Post 302076349 by sourabhshakya on Monday 12th of June 2006 11:20:20 AM
Old 06-12-2006
Random parameters passing in FTP script

Hi

Seems a fanstastic solution, hey can u suggest some more alternative in which the user just pass only the values without any option as user still have to be aware of -h for hostname etc.

Really appreciate ur previous reply and will use that

Thanks
Sourabh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing parameters in script

I have 2 scripts: script1 and script2 Script1 passes 4 parameters to script2 as follows #script1 code ... ... script2 $var1 $var2 $var3 $var4 Script2 uses the export command to know to expect these values #script2 export $1 $2 $3 $4 code ... ... The problem that I am having is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eliguy
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing parameters from a shell script to sqlplus

Hi , I want to pass parameters from a shell script to a sql script and use the parameter in the sql query ..and then I want to spool a particular select query on to my unix box... for 4 different locations by writing only one sql script Right now no file is generated on the unix box...it is a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing parameters to Shell script for GREP command

I am using grep to capture date from a file . Since i need to use the shell script for different dates ,is it possible to pass the date parameter to the shell script the Script is as below grep -E "08 Aug 2008|2008-08-08"* somefile.txt>test.txt The above script file greps the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sud.tech
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script Passing Parameters For Directory Listing

i have this basic piece of code that i am trying to debug to accept input parameter to be able to display a directory listing of files. cd /u02/app/eatv/dev/out CURDIR=`pwd` echo directory listing of $CURDIR echo if ; then ls -latr else ls -latr $1 fi basically if the script... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

specified path name is too long passing parameters to awk via shell script

Hello, I have this shell script that runs awk code by passing in parameters however now it doesn't work anymore with the parameters and I don't know why. It removes duplicates from an input file based on a part of the last field and a key column. It removes the record with the older datetime... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: script_op2a
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing parameters from a script to a datastage job

We have a requirement as follows. We have created a datastage job that will be doing the select operation from table (select query from a table). The datastage job is being invoked by a unix shell script(ksh). We are passing the "table name (STUD_DETAILS)" and a "where clause condition... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing parameters to bash script function (or subroutine)

I've found a few posts regarding passing parameters to a function or subroutine, but for some reason when I try to run a command based on part with these parameters it's not working. If I have the function echo the parameters they show correctly so I believe they are being passed right but the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: withanh
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing parameters to the script

how can i make a script to run only when parameters are given, if parameters are not given it should through an error , saying "please enter a parameter" for ex: i want a find command to run only when the parameters are given (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: knip
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script passing parameters to sqlplus code

Hello All, I am interested in finding out a way to pass parameters that are entered at the prompt from HP unix and passed to SQLPlus code with a Shell Script. Is this possible? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: compprog11
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing command line parameters into script

Not a good post. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bash_in_my_head
1 Replies
wuzzah(1)							      Wuzzah?								 wuzzah(1)

NAME
wuzzah - keep an eye out for friends on a local system SYNOPSIS
wuzzah [OPTIONS...] DESCRIPTION
wuzzah is a program that just sits around and scans the utmpx entries to watch when your friends log in and out. By default upon invoca- tion, wuzzah looks for the file ${HOME}/.wuzzah, and loads the list of buddies contained therein (which are separated by newlines), and then sits and watches. If no file is found, and no other readable file is specified (see OPTIONS), wuzzah will attempt to just watch for whomever the current uid maps, and failing that will just quit. OPTIONS
-h, --help an informative usage summary, though nothing you don't see here... -a, --all-users watches for all users on the system, period. -c, --exec-cmd=CMD execute CMD upon a login. NOTE: this is done with a call to system(2), so you can do things like piping and whatever else you can do with sh -c -f, --buddy-file=FILE use FILE as buddyfile. naturally FILE must be readable, and consists of usernames, one to a line. optionally, these usernames can be followed by a colon, and then a wuzzah command-line to override wuzzah's behavior for this specific user. -F, --no-buddyfile tells wuzzah to not bother loading any config files. -i, --interval=NUM sleep NUM seconds between each polling -m, --message=STRING use STRING as a message template to greet logged-in buddies. See the section FORMATS for more information. -n, --no-newline don't end the messages with newlines (normally does by default) -o, --process-once scan the login records once, then exit -p, --process-current by default wuzzah doesn't message users who were already logged in when started up. this option overrides such behavior and mes- sages them anyways (only useful with the -w/-c options) -q, --silent don't message buddies when they log in (default). -s, --status-message=STRING use STRING as a template for displaying the status of people logging in and out. See FORMATS for more information. -u, --users=LIST adds every user in LIST (a space/comma/colon separated list of users) to the buddy list -v, --version the current version and copyright. -w, --write-buddies turns on messaging of buddies as they log in. NOTE: this can get quite annoying rather quickly. tune in soon for a less annoying solution FORMATS
message templates can be defined as normal character strings, interspersed with special format characters. format characters consist of a `%', followed by a character, which defines situation-specific data. The current list of these characters is as follows: a the alert character ('a') b the name of the buddy who has logged in/out d the date, currently in HH:MM:SS format h and H the remote hostname or IP address (respectively) of your buddy's login l the line in/out on which the buddy is logged (typically, something like /dev/pts/9 or /dev/ttyS0) m whether or not you have just messaged your buddy (really only useful for the -s option) n an embedded newline character o your buddy's online status ("logged on" or "logged off") u your own username, as can best be determined by the program. EXAMPLES
a simple invocation: username@machine$ wuzzah (13:45:39) foo logged in on :0 (not messaging). (13:45:39) bar logged in on pts/11 (not messaging). Message from username@machine on pts/11 at 14:00 ... (wuzzah) username says: "shoutout to my homie foo." EOF an example with a little more user customization: username@machine$ wuzzah --message="hey, %b, it's %u. nice to see you at %d!" and when foo logs in, foo will get a message like so: Message from username@machine on pts/11 at 14:00 ... hey, foo, it's username. nice to see you at (14:00:00)! EOF FILES
$HOME/.wuzzah the default file containing the list of users to watch BUGS
don't know of any, but reports (and patches too) are always welcome. feel free to send them to the author. AUTHOR
sean finney <seanius@seanius.net> sean finney Sun Nov 17 02:41:45 EST 2002 wuzzah(1)