Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting background process return code Post 302076206 by jim mcnamara on Friday 9th of June 2006 05:19:33 PM
Old 06-09-2006
start with something like this:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh

>logfile

echo "start time `date`" > logfile

while read file
do
    file_name=`ls $file`;
    (ksh archive.ksh $file_name; echo "$file_name status=$?">> logfile)&
done < $indirect_file
wait

echo "end time `date`" >> logfile
cat logfile

I have not tested this...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

return code of a process

two programs A and B writting in c++ I am using A to B and I want to know the return code of B. in B ------------------------ int main() { return 11; } ------------------------ in A ------------------------ int main() { system(A); } ------------------------ Is it the right way... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: filedeliver
1 Replies

2. Programming

return code of a process

two programs A and B writting in c++ I am using A to B and I want to know the return code of B. in B ------------------------ int main() { return 11; } ------------------------ in A ------------------------ int main() { system(A); } ------------------------ Is it the right way... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: filedeliver
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to include RETURN KEY with Background process "&" in Shell Script

Hello All, I am a newbie in Shell script programming, and maybe you can help me with my query. I need to write a shell script (mntServer.ksh) that will start a background process and also to be able to run another script. The mntServer.ksh script contains: #!/bin/ksh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: racbern
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return code of background process

Hi, I have a process that I run in the background that looks like this ${BASEDIR}/ksh/sqler.ksh ${compnames003} & and I would like to get the return code of the sqler.ksh script. so my code is like this ${BASEDIR}/ksh/sqler.ksh ${compnames003} & retcode=$? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: c19h28O2
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

return code of multiple java process

Hi, I have a unix shell script which is launching multiple java processes by calling a java class in a loop, but each time with a different set of parameters. Now I have to use the return code from each process in the script later. but how do i obtain the return code from each process... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rama354
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background process, return code and pid.

Hey all, Okay, this one is tricky and I'm not sure there is a niec way to do it, or indeed anyway to do it. The main issue revolves around timing out a hung ssh. I am doing this by creating a wrapper script for the ssh with the following requirements. My requirements are: Defineable... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RECrerar
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Catch exit code of specific background process

Hi all, i hava a specific backgroud process. I have de PID of this process. At some time, the process finish his job, is there any way to catch the exit code? I use "echo $?" normally for commands. Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xedrox
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing the return code from background process

Hi All, I was out not working on unix from quite sometime and came back recently. I would really appreciate a help on one of the issue I am facing.... I am trying to kick off the CodeNameProcess.sh in PARALLEL for all the available codes. The script runs fine in parallel. Let say there are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkumar28
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass return value of a function in background process

Hi, I have created a function f1 defined in script A.sh .I have called this function in background . But I want to use its return value for another function f2 in script A.sh. I tried declaring it as a global variable, yet it always returns the status as 0. Is there any way with which I can get... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashima jain
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to return from background process and check if it is running or not?

Hi Team, i am executing 3 scripts in background from 1 script and i want to send a message once the script gets completed.these scripts usually takes 1 hr to complete. My sample script is below, Vi abc.sh sh /opt/data/Split_1.sh & sh /opt/data/Split_2.sh & sh /opt/data/Split_3.sh & ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raju2016
3 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.10 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)