Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers I create user but i cant login the user i created. Post 302076167 by piltrafa on Friday 9th of June 2006 09:13:30 AM
Old 06-09-2006
Well, first of all, how do you created the user? Did you use useradd or edit the passwd and shadow?. Which Unix are you working on?

Those information would help a lot !

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Other than root user .Normal user is unable to create files

Hi all, I am using Sun Solaris 9 .In this system normal users unable to create files from the command line.I added these users in bin,adm and even root group i found them unable to create a file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mallesh
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Files created by particular user

How i get the all the files created by particular user?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anshu
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running script from other user rather than login user

Hi, My requirement is that i am login from ROOT in a script but when any command is coming which is logging to sqlplus then i have to run it with normal user as only normal user have permission to connect to sqlplus . i tried making a script like this : #! /bin/ksh su -... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rawatds
3 Replies

4. Solaris

error message rmclomv ... SC Login Failure for user Please login:

Hello World ~ HW : SUN Fire V240 OS : Solaris 8 Error message prompts 'rmclomv ... SC login failure ...' on terminal. and Error Message prompts continually 'SC Login Failure for user Please login:' on Single Mode(init S) The System is in normal operation, though In case of rain, Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lifegeek
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to know what time one user was created?

I am using RHEL. I wan to know the creation time of one user? which command? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cqlouis
4 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Create New User with the same group nd privileges of the other user

Hi, Anyone can help me on how to duplicate privileges and group for useroradb01 to userrootdb01. I have currently using "useroradb01" and create a newly user "userrootdb01". I want both in the sames privileges and group. Please see the existing users list below; drwxr-xr-x 53 useroradb01... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Login as another user through Shell script from current user[Not Root]

Hi Every body, I would need a shell script program to login as different user and perform some copy commands in the script. example: Supppose ora_toms is the active user ora_toms should be able to run a script where user: ftptomsp pass: XXX should login through and run the commands ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ujjwal27
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Login into another user from user inside script

now i have logged in username : ramesh in unix Now i have to created script file to login into another user and have run a command inside that user and after executing the command i have to exit from that user. Inside script, i have to login into su - ram along with password : haihow and have to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rammm
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find if a User exist if not create user

What I'm trying to do is write a script in Perl to find a user and if that user exist it would print "User Exist, Pls Try Again". If The user doesn't exist I'm able to create a user with a password. Any suggestions? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoBoyGo
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Prevent user from creating new user from his login

Hi Experts, Need your support Redhat 6.5 I want to create a user with all(read, write, execute) privileges except that user should not be able to create any new user from his login to perform any task. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: as7951
10 Replies
useradd(8)						      System Manager's Manual							useradd(8)

NAME
useradd - create a new user account SYNOPSIS
useradd [-D binddn] [-P path] [-c comment] [-d homedir] [-e expire] [-f inactive] [-G group,...] [-g gid] [-m [-k skeldir]] [-o] [-p password] [-u uid] [-U umask] [-r] [-s shell] [--service service] [--help] [--usage] [-v] [--preferred-uid uid] account useradd --show-defaults useradd --save-defaults [-d homedir] [-e expire] [-f inactive] [-g gid] [-G group,...] [-k skeldir] [-U umask] [-s shell] DESCRIPTION
useradd creates a new user account using the default values from /etc/default/useradd and the specified on the command line. Depending on the command line options the new account will be added to the system files or LDAP database, the home directory will be created and the initial default files and directories will be copied. The account name must begin with an alphabetic character and the rest of the string should be from the POSIX portable character class ([A- Za-z_][A-Za-z0-9_-.]*[A-Za-z0-9_-.$]). OPTIONS
-c, --comment comment This option specifies the users finger information. -d, --home homedir This option specifies the users home directory. If not specified, the default from /etc/default/useradd is used. -e, --expire expire With this option the date when the account will be expired can be changed. expiredate has to be specified as number of days since January 1st, 1970. The date may also be expressed in the format YYYY-MM-DD. If not specified, the default from /etc/default/useradd is used. -f, --inactive inactive This option is used to set the number of days of inactivity after a password has expired before the account is locked. A user whose account is locked must contact the system administrator before being able to use the account again. A value of -1 disables this feature. If not specified, the default from /etc/default/useradd is used. -G, --groups group,... With this option a list of supplementary groups can be specified, which the user should become a member of. Each group is separated from the next one only by a comma, without whitespace. If not specified, the default from /etc/default/useradd is used. -g, --gid gid The group name or number of the user's main group. The group name or number must refer to an already existing group. If not speci- fied, the default from /etc/default/useradd is used. -k, --skel skeldir Specify an alternative skel directory. This option is only valid, if the home directory for the new user should be created, too. If not specified, the default from /etc/default/useradd or /etc/skel is used. -m, --create-home Create home directory for new user account. -o, --non-unique Allow duplicate (non-unique) User IDs. -p, --password password Encrypted password as returned by crypt(3) for the new account. The default is to disable the account. -U, --umask umask The permission mask is initialized to this value. It is used by useradd for creating new home directories. The default is taken from /etc/default/useradd. -u, --uid uid Force the new userid to be the given number. This value must be positive and unique. The default is to use the first free ID after the greatest used one. The range from which the user ID is chosen can be specified in /etc/login.defs. --preferred-uid uid Set the new userid to the specified value if possible. If that value is already in use the first free ID will be chosen as described above. -r, --system Create a system account. A system account is an user with an UID between SYSTEM_UID_MIN and SYSTEM_UID_MAX as defined in /etc/login.defs, if no UID is specified. The GROUPS entry in /etc/default/useradd is ignored, too. -s, --shell shell Specify user's login shell. The default for normal user accounts is taken from /etc/default/useradd, the default for system accounts is /bin/false. --service service Add the account to a special directory. The default is files, but ldap is also valid. -D, --binddn binddn Use the Distinguished Name binddn to bind to the LDAP directory. The user will be prompted for a password for simple authentica- tion. -P, --path path The passwd and shadow files are located below the specified directory path. useradd will use this files, not /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow. --help Print a list of valid options with a short description. --usage Print a short list of valid options. -v, --version Print the version number and exit. FILES
/etc/passwd - user account information /etc/shadow - shadow user account information /etc/group - group information /etc/default/useradd - default values for account creation /etc/skel - directory containing default files SEE ALSO
passwd(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5), shadow(5), userdel(8), usermod(8) AUTHOR
Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de> pwdutils May 2010 useradd(8)