Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sorting Files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sorting Files Post 302076134 by sandeep_hi on Friday 9th of June 2006 04:52:29 AM
Old 06-09-2006
Sorting Files

How to sort such files which contains records of varying length and varying lines? (With respect to Bash shell)

Eg:
Each record begins with a sting of 1/0(binary) which may or may not be followed by properties like AB,BS etc.
I have to sort such records on the basis of 1/0 string and keep the properties associated with that record intact.

Following lines are contained in the file

AS sasa
BS kkk
BS jsa
AS asas
BS sasa
CS asa

P.S: 1. A new record starts wherever a new line is starting with 1/0
2. Anyline starting with space is properties associated with the last
1/0 record
3. The number of records depicted in above file is 4

Please help in this regard.

Last edited by sandeep_hi; 06-09-2006 at 06:10 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sorting files

ok so I'm having major issues trying to figure this out: I have this program that I'm inputting the files in hte current directory which are image files...it spits out 5 line chunks describing the files... filename: (name of file) size: (100 x 200) arbitrary data arbitrary data arbitrary... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Infraredskies
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting files

Hi, What is the command for sorting files according to their size Thanx in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sendhil
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help listing/sorting files

I am currently attempting to create a file which I access from an oracle form. At the minute I do a host command and run an ls -l e.g. /bin/ls -l /dir/dir/dir/ > /tmp/list.txt I then read this file within my oracle form. However I want the user to be able to restrict, sort and filter the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dave_angel
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need some help for sorting files

I am new to shell scripting can u guys please provide a small script for the following senario step1:need to find some files in a directory for ex having 020908 step2:sort them and redirecting to new file (ex:sort abc > abc.sort) i am trying this but giveing flag error ls -l... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgreddy2020
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting files

hi i have file like below: col1,col2,col3,col4 val1,val2,val3,val4 abc1,abc2,abc3,abc4 this is a 4 column file with 3 rows. i want to sort the file like.. first on col1, then on col2 and so ..on.. i want the sort order to be descending. Pls help.. Thnks Sumit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumit207
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting files in different directories

hi everybody, first time writing. Here's my question: I've got several files in different directories like this: aa/t1 aa/bb/t2 aa/t2 aa/bb/cc/t1 aa/t3 and would like to get this sorting: aa/t1 aa/bb/cc/t1 aa/t2 aa/bb/t2 aa/t3 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Camisa
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with sorting files

find / -type f 2> /dev/null | find -inum +1 2> /dev/null | find -mtime -30 2> /dev/null what i am trying to do i search all regular files in root directory with one or more inodes modified within last 30 days. the /dev/null is to suppress the permission denied outputs. i am now trying to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: iluvsushi
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

i need help in sorting two files

i have file a 123 234 456 567 678 and file b 123|xxx|hhh|ppp or zzz 234|rrr|ttt|xxx 432|ttt|mmm|nnn 678|cft|byt|mop i want to compare file a to file b such that when each of the lines in file a can be found in file b column1 and also xxx or hhh or ppp or zzz can be... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackzinga80
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting files

I have the following set of files and I want to order them according to the ascending values of the run: For example, doing ls -lrt *drw*.log gives n02-z30-sr65-rgdt0p25-dc0p08-4x3drw.log n02-z30-sr65-rgdt0p25-dc0p03-8x6drw.log n02-z30-sr65-rgdt0p25-dc0p01-8x6drw.log ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
18 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Complex data sorting in excel files or text files

Dear all, I have a complex data file shown below,,,,, A_ABCD_13208 0 0 4.16735 141044 902449 1293900 168919 C_ABCD_13208 0 0 4.16735 141044 902449 1293900 168919 A_ABCDEF715 52410.9 18598.2 10611 10754.7 122535 252426 36631.4 C_DBCDI_1353 0... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: AAWT
19 Replies
HWDB(7) 							       hwdb								   HWDB(7)

NAME
hwdb - Hardware Database DESCRIPTION
The hardware database is a key-value store for associating modalias-like keys to udev-property-like values. It is used primarily by udev to add the relevant properties to matching devices, but it can also be queried directly. HARDWARE DATABASE FILES
The hwdb files are read from the files located in the system hwdb directory /lib/udev/hwdb.d and the local administration directory /etc/udev/hwdb.d. All hwdb files are collectively sorted and processed in lexical order, regardless of the directories in which they live. However, files with identical filenames replace each other. Files in /etc have the highest priority and take precedence over files with the same name in /lib. This can be used to override a system-supplied hwdb file with a local file if needed; a symlink in /etc with the same name as a hwdb file in /lib, pointing to /dev/null, disables that hwdb file entirely. hwdb files must have the extension .hwdb; other extensions are ignored. Each hwdb file contains data records consisting of matches and associated key-value pairs. Every record in the hwdb starts with one or more match strings, specifying a shell glob to compare the lookup string against. Multiple match lines are specified in consecutive lines. Every match line is compared individually, and they are combined by OR. Every match line must start at the first character of the line. The match lines are followed by one or more key-value pair lines, which are recognized by a leading space character. The key name and value are separated by "=". An empty line signifies the end of a record. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored. In case multiple records match a given lookup string, the key-value pairs from all records are combined. If a key is specified multiple times, the value from the record with the highest priority is used (each key can have only a single value). The priority is higher when the record is in a file that sorts later lexicographically, and in case of records in the same file, later records have higher priority. The content of all hwdb files is read by systemd-hwdb(8) and compiled to a binary database located at /etc/udev/hwdb.bin, or alternatively /lib/udev/hwdb.bin if you want ship the compiled database in an immutable image. During runtime, only the binary database is used. EXAMPLES
Example 1. General syntax of hwdb files # /lib/udev/hwdb.d/example.hwdb # Comments can be placed before any records. This is a good spot # to describe what that file is used for, what kind of properties # it defines, and the ordering convention. # A record with three matches and one property mouse:*:name:*Trackball*: mouse:*:name:*trackball*: mouse:*:name:*TrackBall*: ID_INPUT_TRACKBALL=1 # A record with a single match and five properties mouse:usb:v046dp4041:name:Logitech MX Master: MOUSE_DPI=1000@166 MOUSE_WHEEL_CLICK_ANGLE=15 MOUSE_WHEEL_CLICK_ANGLE_HORIZONTAL=26 MOUSE_WHEEL_CLICK_COUNT=24 MOUSE_WHEEL_CLICK_COUNT_HORIZONTAL=14 Example 2. Overriding of properties # /lib/udev/hwdb.d/60-keyboard.hwdb evdev:atkbd:dmi:bvn*:bvr*:bd*:svnAcer*:pn* KEYBOARD_KEY_a1=help KEYBOARD_KEY_a2=setup KEYBOARD_KEY_a3=battery evdev:atkbd:dmi:bvn*:bvr*:bd*:svnAcer*:pn123* KEYBOARD_KEY_a2=wlan # /etc/udev/hwdb.d/70-keyboard.hwdb # disable wlan key on all at keyboards evdev:atkbd:* KEYBOARD_KEY_a2=reserved If the hwdb consists of those two files, a keyboard with the lookup string "evdev:atkbd:dmi:bvnAcer:bdXXXXX:bd08/05/2010:svnAcer:pn123" will match all three records, and end up with the following properties: KEYBOARD_KEY_a1=help KEYBOARD_KEY_a2=reserved KEYBOARD_KEY_a3=battery SEE ALSO
systemd-hwdb(8) systemd 237 HWDB(7)