Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Comparing Arrays?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Comparing Arrays? Post 302076120 by blckleprd on Thursday 8th of June 2006 11:46:02 PM
Old 06-09-2006
The problem with that is that if I try to do this (which is what will end up happening):
Code:
#!/bin/sh

a1="Joe Bob Jane"
a2="Joe Bob Jack Jane Greg"
a3=${a2#$a1}
echo $a3

The output I get is this:
Code:
Joe Bob Jack Jane Greg

And I need it to only return the words in the second string that weren't in the first, which is why I thought arrays would be better.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing two arrays or strings in bash

Hi there, im having issue with comparing two variables, in a bash script. im trying to do the following: - get a word from user 1 - split the word into array - get a character from user2 trying to compare the character entered by user 2 with every single character in the array... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2Linux
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing arrays in perl

Hi all, I am trying to compare two arrays in perl using the following code. foreach $item (@arrayA){ push(@arrayC, $item) unless grep(/$item/, @arrayB); ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chriss_58
1 Replies

3. Web Development

PHP arrays in arrays

PHP question... I have an SQL query that's pulled back user IDs as a set of columns. Rather than IDs, I want to use their names. So I have an array of columns $col with values 1,7,3,12 etc and I've got an array $person with values "Fred", "Bert", "Tom" etc So what I want to do is display the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JerryHone
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: simple comparing arrays question

Hi there, i have been trying different methods and i wonder if somebody could explain to me how i would perform a comparison on two arrays for example my @array1 = ("gary" ,"peter", "paul"); my @array2 = ("gary" ,"peter", "joe"); I have two arrays above, and i want to something like this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
5 Replies

5. Programming

question about int arrays and file pointer arrays

if i declare both but don't input any variables what values will the int array and file pointer array have on default, and if i want to reset any of the elements of both arrays to default, should i just set it to 0 or NULL or what? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omega666
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing lists.. Arrays maybe?

Problem Part 1. Gather data from linux server and output to a file named data_DDMMYY Output file must contain the file name and size Part 2. Compare todays data_DDMMYY to yesterdays data_DDMMYY and output results to a file named difference_DDMMYY Output file must show the difference in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aussiemick
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I use the arrays ?

Hi all, I have a file test1.txt with the below contents abc def ghj xyz I tried printing these values using arrays. Script tried : =========== set -A array1 `cat test1.txt` count=${#array1 } i=0 while do echo "element of array $array1" done (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dnam9917
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing 2 arrays but ignoring certain patterns

I'm trying to compare 2 array and print the difference at a 3rd file. However how am i going to compare this 2 arrays by ignoring certain patterns: For example: 1st array contains: ctahci cptcsa0 ctsata:25:seed cptcsa1:50:seed ctsata_1:25:seed 2nd array contains: cptcsa0 ctsata... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hongping
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using arrays?

I have never used arrays before but I have a script like this: var1=$(for i in $(cat /tmp/jobs.021013);do $LIST -job $i -all | perl -ne 'print /.*(\bInfo.bptm\(pid=\d{3,5}).*/' | tr -d "(Info=regpid" | tr -d ')'; $LIST -job $i -all | cut -f7 -d','| sed -e "s/^\(*\)\(*\)\(*\)\(.*\)/\1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk arrays comparing multiple columns across two files.

Hi, I'm trying to use awk arrays to compare values across two files based on multiple columns. I've attempted to load file 2 into an array and compare with values in file 1, but success has been absent. If anyone has any suggestions (and I'm not even sure if my script so far is on the right lines)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hubleo
4 Replies
GIT-SHORTLOG(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-SHORTLOG(1)

NAME
git-shortlog - Summarize 'git log' output SYNOPSIS
git log --pretty=short | git shortlog [-h] [-n] [-s] [-e] [-w] git shortlog [-n|--numbered] [-s|--summary] [-e|--email] [-w[<width>[,<indent1>[,<indent2>]]]] <commit>... DESCRIPTION
Summarizes git log output in a format suitable for inclusion in release announcements. Each commit will be grouped by author and the first line of the commit message will be shown. Additionally, "[PATCH]" will be stripped from the commit description. If no revisions are passed on the command line and either standard input is not a terminal or there is no current branch, git shortlog will output a summary of the log read from standard input, without reference to the current repository. OPTIONS
-h, --help Print a short usage message and exit. -n, --numbered Sort output according to the number of commits per author instead of author alphabetic order. -s, --summary Suppress commit description and provide a commit count summary only. -e, --email Show the email address of each author. --format[=<format>] Instead of the commit subject, use some other information to describe each commit. <format> can be any string accepted by the --format option of git log, such as * [%h] %s. (See the "PRETTY FORMATS" section of git-log(1).) Each pretty-printed commit will be rewrapped before it is shown. -w[<width>[,<indent1>[,<indent2>]]] Linewrap the output by wrapping each line at width. The first line of each entry is indented by indent1 spaces, and the second and subsequent lines are indented by indent2 spaces. width, indent1, and indent2 default to 76, 6 and 9 respectively. MAPPING AUTHORS
The .mailmap feature is used to coalesce together commits by the same person in the shortlog, where their name and/or email address was spelled differently. If the file .mailmap exists at the toplevel of the repository, or at the location pointed to by the mailmap.file configuration option, it is used to map author and committer names and email addresses to canonical real names and email addresses. In the simple form, each line in the file consists of the canonical real name of an author, whitespace, and an email address used in the commit (enclosed by < and >) to map to the name. For example: Proper Name <commit@email.xx> The more complex forms are: <proper@email.xx> <commit@email.xx> which allows mailmap to replace only the email part of a commit, and: Proper Name <proper@email.xx> <commit@email.xx> which allows mailmap to replace both the name and the email of a commit matching the specified commit email address, and: Proper Name <proper@email.xx> Commit Name <commit@email.xx> which allows mailmap to replace both the name and the email of a commit matching both the specified commit name and email address. Example 1: Your history contains commits by two authors, Jane and Joe, whose names appear in the repository under several forms: Joe Developer <joe@example.com> Joe R. Developer <joe@example.com> Jane Doe <jane@example.com> Jane Doe <jane@laptop.(none)> Jane D. <jane@desktop.(none)> Now suppose that Joe wants his middle name initial used, and Jane prefers her family name fully spelled out. A proper .mailmap file would look like: Jane Doe <jane@desktop.(none)> Joe R. Developer <joe@example.com> Note how there is no need for an entry for <jane@laptop[1].(none)>, because the real name of that author is already correct. Example 2: Your repository contains commits from the following authors: nick1 <bugs@company.xx> nick2 <bugs@company.xx> nick2 <nick2@company.xx> santa <me@company.xx> claus <me@company.xx> CTO <cto@coompany.xx> Then you might want a .mailmap file that looks like: <cto@company.xx> <cto@coompany.xx> Some Dude <some@dude.xx> nick1 <bugs@company.xx> Other Author <other@author.xx> nick2 <bugs@company.xx> Other Author <other@author.xx> <nick2@company.xx> Santa Claus <santa.claus@northpole.xx> <me@company.xx> Use hash # for comments that are either on their own line, or after the email address. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite NOTES
1. jane@laptop mailto:jane@laptop Git 1.7.10.4 11/24/2012 GIT-SHORTLOG(1)