Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users conversion of a input function to i18n Post 302075962 by cbkihong on Wednesday 7th of June 2006 09:31:08 PM
Old 06-07-2006
Try to verify the codepoints you get getting are really Unicode codepoints, as you can cross check the character-codepoint mappings with the Unicode character database online, and that your console really supports multibyte UTF-8 characters. Bear in mind that you may need to do some conversion between the legacy Japanese encoding and UTF-8 with iconv in certain environments. Also check whether you have the Unicode fonts which contain the Japanese characters on your OS, and whether those fonts are indeed used to render the console text.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - input function

hello, im a newbie. how can i input data from keyboard? thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jariya
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Date format conversion function

Hello, does somebody knows about a function that would convert a date like: YYMMDD into a date like YYYY-MM-DD ? Thank you for your ideas :) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cecile
9 Replies

3. Linux

Help regarding understanding of i18N and L10N concepts

Hi everyone, I would like to have good understanding of i18N & L10N implementations in Linux. What does it mean actually,interms of software development? Where it is used and how it is used? It would be more helpful to me, if anyone send me the links to "basics of i18N... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aeon
0 Replies

4. AIX

function trace back and address to line number conversion

Hi, I am new to AIX and I am developing a small tool for our product which helps debug memory leaks etc. Q1)Is there a way in which i can get a function trace back as to the call (lets say malloc() )has been made in which file--> in which function. I tried using the #pragma options (... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wkdunreal
0 Replies

5. Programming

Binary conversion function

Is/are there any function(s) in C that convert(s) character/ASCII/Decimal to binary and vice versa? what about bcopy and strcpy? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Peevish
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

function from shell input

Hi all i have the command called printer which needs a usernmae for example i would run the commnad printer <username> how can i write i quick script in perl that if the username is ab then write "denined" and if it is anything else it will work thanks Adam (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ab52
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

conversion of input date in reverse order

Dear all, I am having date as input 01-08-2011 ...i want to convert it by removing - (hyphens) in reverse order...i.e 20110801 can u please help me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

NAWK conversion of hexadecimal input to decimal output via printf, I am close I can feel it

I have searched and the answers I have found thus far have led me to this point, so I feel I am just about there. I am trying to convert a column of hexadecimal to decimal values so that I can filter out via grep just the data I want. I was able to pull my original 3 character hex value and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: PCGameGuy
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

function terminating if i give input as space or no input and enter

HI i have written a script to ask input from the user. this script should promote the user for y/n input. if user enters anyother input then y/n the script promotes him again. this below code is working fine for all the cases. except for space and enter " if i give space and enter it is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BHASKARREDDY006
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing Input To Function

May i please know why is it printing the script name for $0 when i pass those parameters to function. #!/bin/bash -x usage() { echo "In Usage Function" echo $0 echo $1 echo $2 } echo "printing first time" echo $0 echo $1 echo $2 usage $0 $1 $2 Output: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
2 Replies
encoding(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands						       encoding(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
encoding - Manipulate encodings SYNOPSIS
encoding option ?arg arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ INTRODUCTION
Strings in Tcl are encoded using 16-bit Unicode characters. Different operating system interfaces or applications may generate strings in other encodings such as Shift-JIS. The encoding command helps to bridge the gap between Unicode and these other formats. DESCRIPTION
Performs one of several encoding related operations, depending on option. The legal options are: encoding convertfrom ?encoding? data Convert data to Unicode from the specified encoding. The characters in data are treated as binary data where the lower 8-bits of each character is taken as a single byte. The resulting sequence of bytes is treated as a string in the specified encoding. If encoding is not specified, the current system encoding is used. encoding convertto ?encoding? string Convert string from Unicode to the specified encoding. The result is a sequence of bytes that represents the converted string. Each byte is stored in the lower 8-bits of a Unicode character. If encoding is not specified, the current system encoding is used. encoding names Returns a list containing the names of all of the encodings that are currently available. encoding system ?encoding? Set the system encoding to encoding. If encoding is omitted then the command returns the current system encoding. The system encod- ing is used whenever Tcl passes strings to system calls. EXAMPLE
It is common practice to write script files using a text editor that produces output in the euc-jp encoding, which represents the ASCII characters as singe bytes and Japanese characters as two bytes. This makes it easy to embed literal strings that correspond to non-ASCII characters by simply typing the strings in place in the script. However, because the source command always reads files using the ISO8859-1 encoding, Tcl will treat each byte in the file as a separate character that maps to the 00 page in Unicode. The resulting Tcl strings will not contain the expected Japanese characters. Instead, they will contain a sequence of Latin-1 characters that correspond to the bytes of the original string. The encoding command can be used to convert this string to the expected Japanese Unicode characters. For example, set s [encoding convertfrom euc-jp "xA4xCF"] would return the Unicode string "u306F", which is the Hiragana letter HA. SEE ALSO
Tcl_GetEncoding(3) KEYWORDS
encoding Tcl 8.1 encoding(n)