Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers space in perticular folder in unix Post 302075763 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 6th of June 2006 04:17:36 PM
Old 06-06-2006
filesystems work on the freespace they have, not on the basis of freespace in directories. Directories do not have free disk space.

If what grial said were true, then he should be able to show us a unix system call that finds free space in a directory - like statvfs or fstavfs do for filesystems.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trick to ignore space in folder name

Hello All, I am getting error while passing a folder name that has space to the cmd line argument. sh log_delete2.sh "/home/kumarpua/TESTARTIFACTS/atf-chix/ATF-subversion-dev/ssenglogs/A RM" log_delete2.sh: line 17: cd: /home/kumarpua/TESTARTIFACTS/atf-chix/ATF-subversion-dev/ssenglogs/A:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pulkit
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

space in folder name

hi my folder name is below FTP_DIR="/DATA/TEMP/PA Mthly and Qrty files" But when i am using the varaible in my ftp shel script i am getting the error '/DATA/TEMP/VA: The system cannot find the path specified please advice. thanks in advance sam (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam99
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating space in root folder

Hi , I was wondering if anyone knows any great ways for creating space in your Root Folder. My root folder was created with only 247.7MB & I found out that its now full & I was initially wondering how important the "thumbnails Folder" was & if it was alright to delete their contenses as I noticed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser
2 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

How can I upload a zip folder on a unix path from my windows folder?

Hello, I am an amature at UNIX commands and functionality. Please could you all assist me by replying to my below mentioned querry : How can I upload a zip folder on a unix path from my windows folder? Thanks guys Cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajit.yadav83
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find the folder with space in name.

A solaris server with SAMBA share folder. The PC users created many folders with space on it, I want to find them out, but not list its subfolders. For example, I have below folders Copy of ABC/efg/xy sa/Test again/xyt If I use command: find . -type d |grep " " I will list 6 folders, but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdcwayx
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Space problem writing to Solaris Folder

Hello, I've got a process failure which says it may be caused by insufficient space in the directory. Is there a way I can tell what the maximum allowable size is? I've done df -k and there are no file systems over 45% so if it is a space problem it's confined to the sub directory. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grueben
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy multiple files with space to folder

Please help , I am in an urgent need, Please help nawk '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){printf("%s\n",$i)}}' filename | sed 's/.*com//' | nawk '/pdf/ {printf("F:%s\n",$0)}' | while read line; do mv $line /images/; done the above script works for without spaces but,My path is also having some space... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: umapearl
3 Replies

8. HP-UX

Which Folder occupies more space?

Hi, What are the correct parameters to list folders size in MBs under a particular directory in HP-UX ? I know and commands but cannot get the output of folder sizes in MBs. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files from Space Folder to other folder

I want to move a folder with spaces from one folder to another. I have two folders like this, 1).RT_032-222 -4444-01/ 2). RT_032-555 -7777-01/ I want to move files from 2 to 1 through shell script.Here I want to assign this like a user defined variable like as Source branch... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kannansoft1985
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to list todays file in perticular folder?

How to list todays file in perticular folder Moved thread to appropriate forum (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pspriyanka
9 Replies
Df(3pm) 						User Contributed Perl Documentation						   Df(3pm)

NAME
Filesys::Df - Perl extension for filesystem disk space information. SYNOPSIS
use Filesys::Df; #### Get information by passing a scalar directory/filename value my $ref = df("/tmp"); # Default output is 1K blocks if(defined($ref)) { print "Total 1k blocks: $ref->{blocks} "; print "Total 1k blocks free: $ref->{bfree} "; print "Total 1k blocks avail to me: $ref->{bavail} "; print "Total 1k blocks used: $ref->{used} "; print "Percent full: $ref->{per} "; if(exists($ref->{files})) { print "Total inodes: $ref->{files} "; print "Total inodes free: $ref->{ffree} "; print "Inode percent full: $ref->{fper} "; } } #### Get information by passing a filehandle open(FILE, "some_file"); # Get information for filesystem at "some_file" my $ref = df(*FILE); #### or my $ref = df(*FILE); #### or my $fhref = *FILE; my $ref = df($fhref); #### Get information in other than 1k blocks my $ref = df("/tmp", 8192); # output is 8K blocks my $ref = df("/tmp", 1); # output is bytes DESCRIPTION
This module provides a way to obtain filesystem disk space information. This is a Unix only distribution. If you want to gather this information for Unix and Windows, use "Filesys::DfPortable". The only major benefit of using "Filesys::Df" over "Filesys::DfPortable", is that "Filesys::Df" supports the use of open filehandles as arguments. The module should work with all flavors of Unix that implement the "statvfs()" and "fstatvfs()" calls, or the "statfs()" and "fstatfs()" calls. This would include Linux, *BSD, HP-UX, AIX, Solaris, Mac OS X, Irix, Cygwin, etc ... "df()" requires a argument that represents the filesystem you want to query. The argument can be either a scalar directory/file name or a open filehandle. There is also an optional block size argument so you can tailor the size of the values returned. The default block size is 1024. This will cause the function to return the values in 1k blocks. If you want bytes, set the block size to 1. "df()" returns a reference to a hash. The keys available in the hash are as follows: "{blocks}" = Total blocks on the filesystem. "{bfree}" = Total blocks free on the filesystem. "{bavail}" = Total blocks available to the user executing the Perl application. This can be different than "{bfree}" if you have per-user quotas on the filesystem, or if the super user has a reserved amount. "{bavail}" can also be a negative value because of this. For instance if there is more space being used then you have available to you. "{used}" = Total blocks used on the filesystem. "{per}" = Percent of disk space used. This is based on the disk space available to the user executing the application. In other words, if the filesystem has 10% of its space reserved for the superuser, then the percent used can go up to 110%. You can obtain inode information through the module as well, but you must call "exists()" on the "{files}" key first, to make sure the information is available. Some filesystems may not return inode information, for example some NFS filesystems. Here are the available inode keys: "{files}" = Total inodes on the filesystem. "{ffree}" = Total inodes free on the filesystem. "{favail}" = Total inodes available to the user executing the application. See the rules for the "{bavail}" key. "{fused}" = Total inodes used on the filesystem. "{fper}" = Percent of inodes used on the filesystem. See rules for the "{per}" key. There are some undocumented keys that are defined to maintain backwards compatibilty: "{su_blocks}", "{user_blocks}", etc ... If the "df()" call fails for any reason, it will return undef. This will probably happen if you do anything crazy like try to get information for /proc, or if you pass an invalid filesystem name, or if there is an internal error. "df()" will "croak()" if you pass it a undefined value. Requirements: Your system must contain "statvfs()" and "fstatvfs()", or "statfs()" and "fstatfs()" You must be running Perl 5.6 or higher. AUTHOR
Ian Guthrie IGuthrie@aol.com Copyright (c) 2006 Ian Guthrie. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
statvfs(2), fstatvfs(2), statfs(2), fstatfs(2), df(1), Filesys::DfPortable perl(1). perl v5.14.2 2006-06-25 Df(3pm)