Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: error checking in bash
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting error checking in bash Post 302075733 by x96riley3 on Tuesday 6th of June 2006 01:30:41 PM
Old 06-06-2006
Put this at the top of every script you write.

LOG=/tmp/mylog

##################
function if_error
##################
{
if [[ $? -ne 0 ]]; then # check return code passed to function
print "$1 TIME:$TIME" | tee -a $LOG # if rc > 0 then print error msg and quit
exit $?
fi
}

Example below:

hostname
if_error "hostname command failed to return hostname"

chmod 775 /etc/hosts
if_error "chmoding /etc/hosts to 775 has failed"

-X

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with error checking

I am creating a script that will automatically use sftp to connect to a site and download a file, extract the tar and then delete the tar file once completed. What I am stuck on is the error checking for this process. Here is the code so far: Now this works for me as is, but i need... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: xianoth
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash if loop for checking multiple parameters

Hello, I've got next problem: I want to examine at the beginning of a script in an if loop that: 1. Is there 4 parameters given 2. If first state is true then: is there switches -e and -d? 3. At the end, how can i indentify them as variebles regardlees to its order. I was thinking like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: szittyafergeteg
2 Replies

3. Programming

Error Checking

Hey guys i am facing a problem in my sql statement. I am trying to check if there is such a value in the database. Code: string NewMovie = "ww"; string queryText ; queryText = "Select * from movie_info WHERE movie_title = '"+ NewTitle +"'"; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gregarion
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: checking file size -solved

Hello I have srv RHEL5, file system UTDM (EMC DiskXtender Unix/Linux File System Manager 3.5 & EMC Centera). it all works under the scheme: have disk is formatted with a file system UTDM, drive open network - NFS, it write data, then migrate the data in the repository - EMC Centera. There are... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: moskovets
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error checking help.

I am currently wrapping up a assignment for one of my classes. I need help writing some error checking logic. The problems I am having are: keeping track of the records I have deleted and reported it back using echo. I have no idea how to do this. ensuring that line numbers fall... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Boltftw
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple condition checking in bash

Hi All, I am trying to check if two variables have value assigned to it. i am doing it like if ] then echo "Please specify either single hostname or host file for the report" usage exit fi But its not working for it.Even i specify values for both variables it dont go... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kailash19
6 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

bash error checking problems[solved]

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I am trying to make a script called showtime that displays the current time for a given city. The problem is on... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevin298
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking first argument for tag in bash script

I have a bash script where I pass an argument ./chris.bash "\argv Test" I want to detect if the user supplied \argv at the start of the argument (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash for checking and copy Daily files and send an email

Hello, Trying to get a bash for files received on daily basis and want to copy those files to different directory and send an email notification if file exists then send the file counts else Alert with no file received. FileName format: DailyTransaction_2015-03-09_ 200.csv before 200 their is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krux_rap
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash : Checking Large file for specific lines

Morning .. I have a file with approximately 1000 lines. I want to check that the file contains, for example, 100 lines. Something like whats given below is ugly. And even if I create a function I have to call it 100 times. I may need to look through multiple files at times. Is there a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumguy
4 Replies
ftpaddhost(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    ftpaddhost(1M)

NAME
ftpaddhost - set up a virtual FTP host SYNOPSIS
ftpaddhost -c | -l [-b] [-x xferlog] hostname root_dir DESCRIPTION
The ftpaddhost script is executed by the super user to set up virtual FTP hosts. The ftpaddhost command configures the virtual host host- name under directory root_dir. The value of hostname can be an IP address or the name of a host. OPTIONS
The ftpaddhost script supports the following options: -b Create a banner for the virtual host. This option is useful to confirm that the virtual host is working. -c Configure complete virtual hosting. This option allows each virtual host to have its own version of the ftpaccess, ftpconversions, ftpgroups, ftphosts, and ftpusers files. The master version of each of these configuration files is copied from the /etc/ftpd directory and placed in the /etc/ftpd/virtual-ftpd/hostname directory. If the /etc/ftpusers file exists it is appended to the virtual ftpusers file. If a virtual host lacks its own version of a configuration file, the master version is used. -l Configure limited virtual hosting. This option allows a small number of parameters to be configured differently for a virtual host. See the virtual keyword on the ftpaccess(4) manual page. -x xferlog Create a logfile entry such that the transfer logs for the virtual host are written to the specified file. An abso- lute path must be specified for the xferlog file. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: hostname The host name or IP address of the virtual server. root_dir The absolute pathname of the directory under which the virtual server is set up. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion 1 Improper usage of the command 2 Command failed FILES
/etc/ftpd/virtual-ftpd/hostname The configuration files directory for the virtual host hostname. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWftpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ftpconfig(1M), in.ftpd(1M), ftpaccess(4), ftpconversions(4), ftpgroups(4), ftphosts(4), ftpusers(4), xferlog(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 May 2003 ftpaddhost(1M)