Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to format a floppy in unix filesystem from windows Post 302075721 by Corona688 on Tuesday 6th of June 2006 11:38:09 AM
Old 06-06-2006
Is this still a normal 1.44MB floppy disk otherwise?

Do you have a floppy disk that you could use as a master? (even if it has files it'll do, you can delete those from sco then use THAT as master)

If so, you can save then write a floppy image with rawwritewin. It takes normal disk images like you'd make with dd.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SFR Files on floppy tobe access in windows

I have here a UnixSlackware 2.01 disk that contains a so called SFR files, i want to open it on windows system since i dont have a unix system, is it posible ??? i tried to install WIPRO UWIN (korn shell) on my windows system but i cant access the floppydisk... so is there a posible solution... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mharck29
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading a UNIX floppy on a PC ? HELP!

I desperately need to get a text file off of this floppy to resolve a customer issue on one of PC servers in thier all UNIX site. They sent the information on a UNIX formatted floppy with the information I need. Please help me as I need this ASAP. Black Knight (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Black Knight
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Different Format in Unix & Windows

I used the following commands to store the discription of "sed" into a unix file: man sed > sed.txt But, after I download the file "sed.txt" to a Windows XP system, the file can not be displayed correctly. How to change the format of a Unix file to a Windows one? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: endeavour1985
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

format unix hard drive on windows xp

Hello, How is it possible to copy the partition of hard drive that have unix on it (it's a scsi hard drive of an Irix (SGI)), under windows xp - what I did till now is to connect the drive to the my pc (windows xp installed) with a scsi adapter and the program partition magic can't recognize the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moyalt
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix to a floppy

If I need to copy files in Unix to a floppydisk so that the disk is compatible with extended FAT16 and can be read by Windows XP-Do I mount the floppy disk to use ufs? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rhonda
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing UNIX with no cd or floppy

I have an complicated problem to solve. I want to install a basic UNIX installation on a Compaq LTE 5280 (Win 95). The floppy drive does not work, and there is no cd-rom. It has a 14.4 modem, and I have dial-up internet. I also have another computer (Win 98) with a floppy drive, cd drive, and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aeromark98
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy unix filesystem to windows

Hi all Is there a way to copy a unix filesystem (folders, subfolder and files) to windows (AD) and at the same time maintaine the unix permission (user/group) when copied to windows (AD) filesystem? I want the same permission in windows as I had in unix in one copy job. Is this... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomjen
8 Replies

8. Red Hat

Mounting Windows Filesystem

i am new to linux i want to know how to create ntfs partition and mount all windows drives in linux please help me (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkmohan18
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting windows format file to unix format using script

Hi, I am having couple of files which i used to copy from windows to Linux, so now in case of text files (CTRL^M) appears at end of line. I know i can convert this windows format file to unix format file by running dos2unix. My requirement here is that i want to do it automatically using a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
5 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris Filesystem vs. Windows FileSystem

Hi guys! Could you tell me what's the difference of filesystem of Solaris to filesystem of Windows? I need to compare both. I have read some over the net but it's so much technical. Could you explain it in a more simpler term? I am new to Solaris. Hope you help me guys. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arah
4 Replies
MKBOOTDISK(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     MKBOOTDISK(8)

NAME
mkbootdisk - creates a stand-alone boot floppy for the running system SYNOPSIS
mkbootdisk [--version] [--noprompt] [--verbose] [--device devicefile] [--size size] [--kernelargs <args>] [--iso] kernel DESCRIPTION
mkbootdisk creates a boot floppy appropriate for the running system. The boot disk is entirely self-contained, and includes an initial ramdisk image which loads any necessary SCSI modules for the system. The created boot disk looks for the root filesystem on the device sug- gested by /etc/fstab. The only required argument is the kernel version to put onto the boot floppy. OPTIONS
--device devicefile The boot image is created on devicefile. If --device is not specified, /dev/fd0 is used. If devicefile does not exist mkinitrd cre- ates a 1.44Mb floppy image using devicefile as the filename. --noprompt Normally, mkbootdisk instructs the user to insert a floppy and waits for confirmation before continuing. If --noprompt is specified, no prompt is displayed. --verbose Instructs mkbootdisk to talk about what it's doing as it's doing it. Normally, there is no output from mkbootdisk. --iso Instructs mkbootdisk to make a bootable ISO image as devicefile. --version Displays the version of mkbootdisk and exits. --kernelargs args Adds args to the arguments appended on the kernel command line. If this is not specified mkbootdisk uses grubby to parse the argu- ments for the default kernel from grub.conf, if possible. --size size Uses size (in kilobytes) as the size of the image to use for the boot disk. If this is not specified, mkbootdisk will assume a standard 1.44Mb floppy device. SEE ALSO
grubby(8) dracut(8) AUTHOR
Erik Troan <ewt@redhat.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution Tue Mar 31 1998 MKBOOTDISK(8)