Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Creating subusers & assigning limited rights Post 302075716 by Corona688 on Tuesday 6th of June 2006 11:18:45 AM
Old 06-06-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by grial
Well, a restricted shell is a much easyer solution... It just depends on the limits you want for those users...
On a restricted shell you sould be careful with the PATH variable and the user's profile files.
Regards.
Absolutely. With a session that limited they don't even need a writable home directory!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Creating a Password-Protected directory for ftp Uploads & Downloads

Hello All! Am new here; please excuse any blunders! Am dealing with an off-site ISP UNIX server on which no Telnet access and no Anonymous FTP access is allowed, and which is hosting a client web site. Need to create a separate area within that site to hold occasional outside ftp uploads... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NAL
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating & sending formatted (with bolds & colors) CSV

Hi , I have a situation. Need is to create & send a formatted file with header in BOLD & colored & some sequel results as a content. I know echo -e \033 command, but its scope is limited in PUTTY. How to retain the formatting out of Putty; say after someone opens a email attachment... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: infaWorld
2 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Creating /boot partition & MBR concerns

I have 40GB HD with mepis8, swap, MBR and under flags word boot. I also have a 160 GB external with a few Linux OS, no swaps, no extended etc. I am total Linux no MS I would feel more secure by resizing that sda1 partition and creating a /boot partition with the MBR housed there. Is that a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: worthamtx
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Creating User account with limited permission

Hi All, I want to create an user account which can only excute "df -kh" and "prstat -a" command. The user will not be able to perform "rm" and other critical commands. Is there a way to do it? rgds, Ronny (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronny_nch
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating Header & Trailer for bulk volume data file

Hi all, I have a requirement to create a Header &Trailer for a file which is having 20 millions of records. If I use the following method, i think it will take more time. cat "Header"> file1.txt cat Data_File>>file1.txt cat "Trailer">>file1.txt since second CAT command has to read all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raamc
4 Replies

6. Debian

How to Excluding Extensions Creating RAR & Uploading it

for media files in directory i want change every special char in name to "_" , create screenshots, get media information, then cat that info in 1 file, after that i want split (only) media files (not *.jpg,*.txt, etc.) with rar (including some file with info in each archive, and give each archive... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnymuffin
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating delimiter file & append with cron

I have the following script working fine, and need to generate a file delimiter (with tab or special character) for Excel data import. The script will run every hour in crontab to append the new rows to the delimiter, so that I can collect the data for i.e. a week, which will give me a lot of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
0 Replies

8. Programming

Script for creating a directory & move the .tif files in it.

Hi Team, I have thousands of TIF files which are converted from PDF. Below is a sample of it. LH9406_BLANCARAMOS_2012041812103210320001.tif LH9406_BLANCARAMOS_2012041812103210320002.tif LH9406_BLANCARAMOS_2012041812103210320003.tif LH9411_ANGENIAHUTCHINSON_2012041812102510250001.tif... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragnehete
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Readin document & creating path

Need a way to read a file in who every line is a path to a directory and make shortcut to that directory on a specific place. Example: line in the document /media/gogo/6651-FEAB/Desktop/ /media/gogo/6651-FEAB/Desktop/alex/ /media/gogo/6651-FEAB/linux/ ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogok_bg
3 Replies
CHSH(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)