Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix not recognising new HDD
Operating Systems Solaris Unix not recognising new HDD Post 302075648 by aditya_930 on Tuesday 6th of June 2006 05:17:26 AM
Old 06-06-2006
I belive the drive is NOT supported and i think you might have to update the OpenBoot prom firmware. There are updates avilable from sunsolve for OpenBoot on Ultra SPARC 5/10.

anyways go ahead and confirm with SUN.

-Aditya

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SCO UNIX HDD full backup

HI ALL, I need to backup HDD with SCO UNIX. I need to have a full functionaly backup of this hard disk. Does anybody have any tool or subsription how to do it. I tried some SW, but after when I tried to use this copy of my original disk "can not find a root directory". Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jardas
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

IInd Hard Disk Mounting Problem on 1st HDD On SCO UNIX Open Server

Hi Engg. ! :mad: I have a harddisk on which SCO UNIX Open Server was installed. There was some data (in .dbf format) on it. Present condition of HDD is that it is not booting. Now I want to mount this HDD through other HDD on which SCO UNIX Open Server is installed by attaching... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Niraj Gopal Sha
0 Replies

3. Ubuntu

How can I get Knoppix on HDD

Umm How can I get the Knoppix can be booted off my hard drive instead of the CD. I dont like using the CD. :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shade11
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Make a copy of a unix HDD

i have this HDD with SCO 5.0.6 and i'm getting this errors WARNING: wd0: Error on fixed disk dev 1/42, block=4829, cmd=0x000000C8 Sun Mar 11 05:50:08 2007 status=0x00000040, LBA sector=1285723, cylinder/head=5022/0 WARNING: wd0: Error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: josramon
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mounting Hdd

Can anybody help me. How can I retreive a data from my old unix SCSI hdd. My server is having a new SCSI Hdd. What should I do. Somebody was telling to mount the old hdd and take. What should I do to mount this old hdd and copy the data. Rajesh, Tata Coffee Ltd (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tatacoffee
2 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Unix not Booting after defect HDD

Hi there, Here I have an old HP LC3 server from a client of ours. The server was running in Raid1 Mirror mode. Yesterday the server didn't boot anymore and now I have concluded that 1 drive is damaged. I pulled it out so it can boot from the "good" one. Unfortuanally this didn't work. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: severt
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Old HDD copy to new HDD ? im lost...

Over the last few months the HDD spins louder and louder, so I fiqured its time to replace the HDD. Its been running 24/7/365 since 98 :eek:. yes i said since 98 :D I have an IBM system 43P Model 240. 233 MHz. running AIX Version 4. The current HDD is an IBM DGHS COMP IEC -950 FRU PN#... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chevy89rocks
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help me format hdd!!

i just got a copy of windows and when i go to install it, it says i cant because it needs an ntfs file system. can anyone help me format my hard drive through linux? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: camroc84
2 Replies

9. Solaris

NTFS HDD readable from UNIX

I have somehow taken on the collateral duties of System Administrator for our small internal network. At current we have one main file server with 48 SATA swappable drives under the Solaris 10 OS. My question is this. Our analysts are bringing back data from the field in Windows formatted... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbrowne20
8 Replies

10. AIX

IBM AIX Internal HDD vs SAN HDD and Oracle

Hi Folks, I am facing an issue with the performance. P4 with 1 processor and 16 GB RAM and SAN HDD = Oracle report takes 25 minutes P5 with 2 processors and 16 GB RAM internall HDD with LPAR = Oracle Report takes 1 hour 15 minutes ( please note I have assigned all the max processors and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
7 Replies
obpsym(1M)						  System Administration Commands						obpsym(1M)

NAME
obpsym - Kernel Symbolic Debugging for OpenBoot Firmware SYNOPSIS
modload -p misc/obpsym DESCRIPTION
obpsym is a kernel module that installs OpenBoot callback handlers that provide kernel symbol information to OpenBoot. OpenBoot firmware user interface commands use the callbacks to convert numeric addresses to kernel symbol names for display purposes, and to convert kernel symbol names to numeric literals allowing symbolic names to be used as input arguments to user interface commands. Once obpsym is installed, kernel symbolic names may be used anywhere at the OpenBoot firmware's user interface command prompt in place of a literal (numeric) string. For example, if obpsym is installed, the OpenBoot firmware commands ctrace and dis typically display symbolic names and offsets in the form modname:symbolname + offset. User interface Commands such as dis can be given a kernel symbolic name such as ufs:ufs_mount instead of a numeric address. Placing the command forceload: misc/obpsym into the system(4) file forces the kernel module misc/obpsym to be loaded and activates the kernel callbacks during the kernel startup sequence. obpsym may be useful as a kernel debugger in situations where other kernel debuggers are not useful. For example, on SPARC machines, if obpsym is loaded, you may be able to use the OpenBoot firmware's ctrace command to display symbolic names in the stack backtrace after a watchdog reset. Kernel Symbolic Name Syntax The syntax for a kernel symbolic name is: [ module-name : ] symbol-name Where module-name is the name of the kernel module that the symbol symbol-name appears in. A NULL module name is taken as "all modules, in no particular order" by obpsym. The module name unix is equivalent to a NULL module name, so that conflicts with words defined in the firmware's vocabulary can be avoided. Typically, OpenBoot firmware reads a word from the input stream and looks the word up in its internal vocabulary before checking if the word is a literal. Thus, kernel symbols, such as reset may be given as unix:reset to avoid the unexpected side effect of the firmware find- ing and executing a matching word in its vocabulary. FILES
/etc/system system configuration information file /platform/platform-name/kernel/misc/obpsym ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcar | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
kadb(1M), kernel(1M), modload(1M), modunload(1M), uname(1), system(4), attributes(5) WARNINGS
Some OpenBoot firmware user interface commands may use system resources incompatibly with the way they are used by the Unix kernel. These commands and the use of this feature as a kernel debugger may cause interactions that the Unix kernel is not prepared to deal with. If this occurs, the Unix kernel and/or the OpenBoot firmware user interface commands may react unpredictably and may panic the system, or may hang or may cause other unpredictable results. For these reasons, the use of this feature is only minimally supported and recommended to be used only as a kernel debugger of "last resort". If a breakpoint or watchpoint is triggered while the console frame buffer is powered off, the system can crash and be left in a state from which it is difficult to recover. If one of these is triggered while the monitor is powered off, you will not be able to see the debugger output. NOTES
platform-name can be found using the -i option of uname(1) obpsym is supported only on architectures that support OpenBoot firmware. On some systems, OpenBoot must be completely RAM resident so the obpsym symbol callback support can be added to the firmware, if the firmware doesn't include support for the symbol callbacks. On these systems, obpsym may complain that it requires that "you must use ram- forth to use this module". See the for details on how to use the ramforth command, how to place the command into nvramrc, and how to set use-nvramrc? to true. On systems with version 1.x OpenBoot firmware, nvramrc doesn't exist, and the ramforth command must be typed manually after each reset, in order to use this module. Once installed, the symbol table callbacks can be disabled by using the following OpenBoot firmware command: 0 0 set-symbol-lookup SunOS 5.11 13 Dec 2001 obpsym(1M)