Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Ping Script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Ping Script Post 302075397 by jim mcnamara on Friday 2nd of June 2006 11:11:15 AM
Old 06-02-2006
That's why I asked for 'what' the OP is trying to accomplish, not how he wants to do it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

script to ping servers

Hi , I would like to automate a script to ping all the unix servers perodically thru cronjob. Is there any script out there? If so Please give me. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriny
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ping script

I want find from a file , where list of hosts is given . Whether SSH is running on that Hosts and and create 2 files : HOSt-SSH-Running HOST-SSH-Not-running In the list we have some Windows and Unix Servers, windows servers do not have sshd running. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram003
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Ping Script and AWK

Hey Guys, First time posting here. I keep getting back here on my google searches to help me in my scripting quest. Can i ask for some guidance please? I acquired a script, from these forums in fact that pings a list of IPs/Hostnames. Works a treat. Echos results to a file with the value... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stacky69
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help With Ping Script

Hello all...I'm new to Unix and learning. What I'm trying to create is a script that will ping a known range of IP addresses, say 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254. For each address that no reply is received, that address will be written to a log file that will be emailed to an administrator. My wife... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spmitchell
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Animation Ping on Solaris Like Cisco Ping

Hi, I develop simple animation ping script on Solaris Platform. It is like Cisco ping. Examples and source code are below. bash-3.00$ gokcell 152.155.180.8 30 Sending 30 Ping Packets to 152.155.180.8 !!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. % 93.33 success... % 6.66 packet loss...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gokcell
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using ping in script

Hi. I have a server with multiple network ports that need to be tested to a list of destinations. I'm trying to write a scripts to automate this but can't seem to get past an error and could use some help. I have two test files one contains the ip addresses of the onboard NICs and the other... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikez104
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need bash script to ping the servers and rename the output file each time the script is ran

HI, I have a file serverlist in that all host names are placed. i have written a small script #./testping #! /bin/bash for i in `cat serverlist` do ping $i >> output.txt done so now it creates a file output.txt till here fine.. now each time i run this script the output file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhudeva
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ping script

hello fellows, I need help with a script, I'm using this one HOSTS="192.168.10.9 192.168.10.15 " SUBJECT="Attention - Gateway San Martin DOWN " COUNT=1 EMAILID="lmail@mydomain.com" for myHost in $HOSTS do count=$(ping -c $COUNT $myHost | grep 'received' | awk -F',' '{ print $2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucas.fradusco
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script with ping

I have a question is there any posibility for writing a script that you can see if a pc in your network is up of down , when you run this script for ex. ./test.sh 63 45 54 , which are the ip adresses of the computers , when you give the last digit of the ip adres as argument 63 , 45 and 54 are... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roggy
5 Replies

10. Programming

Ping test sends mail when ping fails

help with bash script! im am working on this script to make sure my server will stay online, so i made this script.. HOSTS="192.168.138.155" COUNT=4 pingtest(){ for myhost in "$@" do ping -c "$COUNT" "$myhost" &&return 1 done return 0 } if pingtest $HOSTS #100% failed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mort3924
4 Replies
RMCPING(8)						      System Manager Commands							RMCPING(8)

NAME
rmcpping - send RMCP Ping to network hosts SYNOPSIS
rmcpping [OPTION...] destination DESCRIPTION
rmcpping uses the RMCP Ping request datagram to elicit an RMCP Pong response from a remote host. The utility can be used to verify if a remote host supports RMCP or IPMI. The initial starting sequence number will be randomized. rmcpping will return 0 to the environment if it receives atleast 1 response from the remote host. Otherwise, it exits with a value of 1. OPTIONS
The following options are available -h Output help menu. -V Output version. -c count Stop after sending count packets. -i interval Wait interval seconds between sending each packet. The default is to wait for one second between each packet. -I interface address Set source address to specified interface address. Argument may be numeric IP address or name of device. -t timeout Time to wait for a response, in seconds. Default is five seconds. -v Verbose output. -s num Specify an initial starting sequence number. The default is to use a random initial sequence number. -d Turn on debugging. KNOWN ISSUES
It has been observed that some remote BMCs can get "confused" and delay packet responses if duplicate packets (with duplicate sequence num- bers) are sent in succession very quickly. There is no known way to cleanly deal with a "confused" BMC other than the wait awhile. Unlike ping(8), local network devicess (e.g. 127.0.0.1) cannot be "pinged". REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <freeipmi-users@gnu.org> or <freeipmi-devel@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2007-2012 Lawrence Livermore National Security, LLC. Copyright (C) 2003-2007 The Regents of the University of California. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. ORIGIN
Command and manpage based off ping(8). SEE ALSO
freeipmi(7), ping(8), ipmiping(8) http://www.gnu.org/software/freeipmi/ rmcpping 1.1.5 2012-06-15 RMCPING(8)