Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Increase size of /tmp swap File Post 302075289 by cmackin on Thursday 1st of June 2006 10:18:39 AM
Old 06-01-2006
Increase size of /tmp swap File

Hi Guys

I need to increase the size of my /tmp swap file. What is the easiest way to do this.

Thanks

Carson

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

increase size of /tmp

My /tmp is full, and the oracle installation is crashing. How can I increase the size of /tmp, even though I have allocated all the available disk space to other partitions? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkappaz
2 Replies

2. Solaris

/tmp: File system full, swap space limit exceeded

Can you help. My server sunning solaris 9 on x86 platform pretty much hung for a few hours... I could not use telnet or ssh to the box - it kept refusing connection. A few hours later - I was able to log in again. The server has not rebooted but here are the first errors in the messages log... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
5 Replies

3. Solaris

/tmp as swap

So with solaris 10 are people not using the old /tmp as a regular UFS filesystem and making /tmp part of swap or tmpfs... what are peoples thoughts on this? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaunders
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Increase /tmp size temporarily

Hi all system Solaris 10 10/09 s10x_u8wos_08a X86 ufs file system I would like to install SunStudio. After the gui comes up it shows that i need to add swap space of at least 900m. the command swap-s shows 880m free. My question is can you temporarily increase swap by 1 or 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kc2dws
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Swap size increase

Dear All, How to increase the swap size when physicall memory reaches 60 %. OR it can be only done after the physicall memory is full. Rgds Rj (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
8 Replies

6. Solaris

increase SWAP on ZFS file system

Hi All, I am using this commands to dynamically increase ZFS swap space on Solaris my question is: 1- after i make these commands it will permanent or it will remove after restart 2- how to make it permanent # swap -l swapfile dev swaplo bloques libre /dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/swap... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: osmanux
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Possible to increase swap size for existing UFS-based drive slice?

I like to increase swap size for my current server running solaris 10. Seems like the system is not using it's full 16G of physical memory. #swap -l swapfile dev swaplo blocks free /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1 32,1 16 1058288 1058288 # swap -s total: 4125120k bytes... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: JT-KGY
17 Replies

8. Solaris

/tmp size is less whereas size allocated to swap is more

Hi, the /tmp size is less whereas the size allocated to swap is quite big. how to increase the size of /tmp - #: swap -l swapfile dev swaplo blocks free /dev/md/dsk/d20 85,20 8 273096 273096 #: swap -s total: 46875128k bytes allocated + 2347188k reserved =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: psb74
2 Replies

9. Solaris

How to use space in /tmp to increase root?

Hello All, I have solaris server running, uname -a SunOS host 5.9 Generic_112233-12 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-280R Filesystem Size Used Available Capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d0 9.8G 8.7G 1.0G 90% / /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s3 4.3G 7.7M 4.2G ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull05
17 Replies

10. Solaris

Increase /tmp file system size dynamically in Solaris zone

Hi Please let me know how to increase the size of /tmp file system from 512m to 1024m dynamically without reboot in solaris zone # df -h Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on zones/zone1 11G 1.0G 10.0G 10% / /dev 11G 1.0G ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
6 Replies
DPHYS-SWAPFILE(8)					      System Manager's Manual						 DPHYS-SWAPFILE(8)

NAME
dphys-swapfile - set up, mount/unmount, and delete an swap file SYNOPSIS
dphys-swapfile setup|swapon|swapoff|uninstall DESCRIPTION
dphys-swapfile computes the size for an optimal swap file (and resizes an existing swap file if necessary), mounts an swap file, unmounts it, and and delete it if not wanted any more. OPTIONS
There is only one parameter, an command, which can be either of these: setup Tells dphys-swapfile to compute the optimal swap file size and (re-)generate an fitting swap file. Default it 2 times RAM size. This can be called at boot time, so the file allways stays the right size for current RAM, or run by hand whenever RAM size has changed. swapon and swapoff These run the swapon and swapoff commands on the swapfile. Note that direct swapon/off from /etc/fstab is not possible, as that is (at least on Debian) done in the same script that mounts /var (which is where the swap file most likely resides). And we need to do our setup between those actions. So pass up /etc/fstab, and do our own swapon/off. uninstall Gets rid of an unwanted swap file, reclaiming the disk space. CONFIG
The config file /etc/dphys-swapfile allows the user to set up the working environment for dphys-swapfile. This config file is a sh script fragment full of assignments, which is sourced. Standard sh syntax rules apply. Assignments are: CONF_SWAPFILE Set where the swap file should be placed. Defaults to /var/swap. It is unlikely that you will need to change this, unless you have very strange partitioning, and then you will most likely be using an swap partition anyway. CONF_SWAPSIZE Force file size to this. Default is 2*RAM size. This is unlikely to be needed, unless in strange diskspace situations. Note that swap enabled and smaller than RAM causes kernal-internal VM trouble on random systems. CONF_SWAPFACTOR Set the relation between RAM and swap size. Must be an integer. Defaults to 2 which means swap size = 2 * RAM size CONF_MAXSWAP Set maximum size of the swap file in MBytes. Defaults to 2048 which was the former kernel limit for the swapfile size and is now a limit to prevent unusual big swap files on systems with a lot of RAM. FILES
/etc/dphys-swapfile user config $CONF_SWAPFILE the swap file, target of the whole action (defaults to /var/swap) EXAMPLES
dphys-swapfile is usually run at system startup and shutdown from an /etc/init.d (or /etc/rc.d) script, such as this (minimal) one: #!/bin/sh # /etc/init.d/dphys-swapfile - automatically set up an swapfile # author franklin, last modification 2004.06.04 # This script is copyright ETH Zuerich Physics Departement, # use under either modified/non-advertising BSD or GPL license case "$1" in start) /sbin/dphys-swapfile setup /sbin/dphys-swapfile swapon ;; stop) /sbin/dphys-swapfile swapoff ;; esac exit 0 If an sysadmin wants to have his swapfile in annother place, say /var/run/swap, he can use: In /etc/dphys-swapfile: CONF_SWAPFILE=/var/run/swap AUTHOR
franklin@phys.ethz.ch, http://www.phys.ethz.ch/~franklin/ D-PHYS Swapfile Tools 2006.09.15 DPHYS-SWAPFILE(8)