Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Strange error message with regex test... Post 302075175 by vgersh99 on Wednesday 31st of May 2006 11:00:50 AM
Old 05-31-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgilain
Hi all,

I have a script where i need to check the format of a string.
finally, i'm waiting a "process name" and 2 numbers separated by a ","

string like : "this_is_a_string.txt,1,10 should be ok"
string ok : "apache.exe,1,10"
string ok : "mysqld,50,0"

string not ok : "ap ache,1,10"
string not ok : "ap,ache,1,10"
string not ok : " apache,1,10"

PS : "" characters are only here to be able to show a string beginning with a space...

Here is what i tryed :

if [[ $(expr "$PROCESS_STRING" : '^[a-z0-9\-\.\_]*,[0-9]*,[0-9]*$') -ne 0 ]];
then
echo " : String OK"
else
echo " : String KO"
fi

But i always get an error :

expr: WARNING: BRE not portable: « ^[a-z0-9\-\.\_]*,[0-9]*,[0-9]*$ »: use of « ^ » character as first character of a base regular expression isn't portable; canceled.
: Format OK

The problem seems to be the "^" character at the beginning of my regex, but if i remove it, a string like " apache,1,10" would be ok but it shouldn't in my case...

thanks for your help

Florent
What OS are you on?
It works fine with Solaris' /usr/bin/expr and /usr/xpg4/bin/expr

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ed strange error message

When I start ed as regular user, following message is displayed: $ed ERROR: tempnam failed: Permission denied $ I think, following error produced in vi when search results from previous error: No previous regular expression Setting TMPDIR variable cause no effect. As root all works... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: frenki
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

a strange message when executing the sort command

Dear all, when I issue the command: gunzip -c file.gz |sort the command is executed normally and correctly but a message keeps appearing everytime I run the command: the message: sort: missing NEWLINE added at end of input file STDIN Does anyone know what is the meaning of this message?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marwan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help regarding Error message: A test command parameter is not valid

Hi I am getting few messages when trying to run my script from the following lines in the script if test then // SomeCode fi The messages are as follows: testing.sh: OBLIGOR_GROUP_ID: 0403-012 A test command parameter is not valid. testing.sh:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

test command looks strange...

I just ran into this today, and don't know what to make of it... if test x$SERVER = x then echo $USAGE exit 1 fi I know what everything in there does, except for the 'x' jazz... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjinno
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex test in bash

Hi I want to do a regex test and branch based on the test result, but this doesn't seems to work :confused: if \) ]] then echo success else echo failed fi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: subin_bala
1 Replies

6. Programming

a strange segment fault about ltp-posix test

Hi all In the ltp-posix test,there is a case in open_posix_testsuite\conformance\interfaces\timer_gettime\speculative/6-1.c I run the above code,it will has a segment fault, if I modify it to below,it works well Anybody can tell me why? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies

7. AIX

Really strange unix message

We are getting this message on our AIX box. No one knows where its coming from. Where can I find any information on it? Warning: file system free space is less than 10 file system total size = -2621440 file system available space = 2485160 file system used space = -5106592 file system... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: t01scra
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

I am getting strange message when run borne shell script

I have a code: if then#{ process daily files for file in *_${Today}*.csv *_${Today}*.txt do if || then echo "This file will be processed in separate script" continue fi if ;then ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
2 Replies
NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)														 NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)

NAME
npm-run-script - Run arbitrary package scripts SYNOPSIS
npm run-script <command> [--silent] [-- <args>...] alias: npm run DESCRIPTION
This runs an arbitrary command from a package's "scripts" object. If no "command" is provided, it will list the available scripts. run[-script] is used by the test, start, restart, and stop commands, but can be called directly, as well. When the scripts in the package are printed out, they're separated into lifecycle (test, start, restart) and directly-run scripts. As of ` https://blog.npmjs.org/post/98131109725/npm-2-0-0, you can use custom arguments when executing scripts. The special option -- is used by getopt https://goo.gl/KxMmtG to delimit the end of the options. npm will pass all the arguments after the -- directly to your script: npm run test -- --grep="pattern" The arguments will only be passed to the script specified after npm run and not to any pre or post script. The env script is a special built-in command that can be used to list environment variables that will be available to the script at run- time. If an "env" command is defined in your package, it will take precedence over the built-in. In addition to the shell's pre-existing PATH, npm run adds node_modules/.bin to the PATH provided to scripts. Any binaries provided by locally-installed dependencies can be used without the node_modules/.bin prefix. For example, if there is a devDependency on tap in your package, you should write: "scripts": {"test": "tap test/*.js"} instead of "scripts": {"test": "node_modules/.bin/tap test/*.js"} to run your tests. The actual shell your script is run within is platform dependent. By default, on Unix-like systems it is the /bin/sh command, on Windows it is the cmd.exe. The actual shell referred to by /bin/sh also depends on the system. As of ` https://github.com/npm/npm/releases/tag/v5.1.0 you can customize the shell with the script-shell configuration. Scripts are run from the root of the module, regardless of what your current working directory is when you call npm run. If you want your script to use different behavior based on what subdirectory you're in, you can use the INIT_CWD environment variable, which holds the full path you were in when you ran npm run. npm run sets the NODE environment variable to the node executable with which npm is executed. Also, if the --scripts-prepend-node-path is passed, the directory within which node resides is added to the PATH. If --scripts-prepend-node-path=auto is passed (which has been the default in npm v3), this is only performed when that node executable is not found in the PATH. If you try to run a script without having a node_modules directory and it fails, you will be given a warning to run npm install, just in case you've forgotten. You can use the --silent flag to prevent showing npm ERR! output on error. You can use the --if-present flag to avoid exiting with a non-zero exit code when the script is undefined. This lets you run potentially undefined scripts without breaking the execution chain. SEE ALSO
o npm help 7 scripts o npm help test o npm help start o npm help restart o npm help stop o npm help 7 config January 2019 NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)